Infotainment upgreade?? worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been thinking of upgrading to the infotainment 8.4 non navi system, to replace my current 5.0 system? But the price is hanging me up.. $1000 for a factory radio is a steep price compared to aftermarket stuff.. Is it worth the money to go to the 8.4? Also, would I have to change out my usb ports that are in my center console/armrest?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you asking about making the purchase from Infotainment.com? If you are, then there is a much more cost effective way to do the upgrade by using M2Mods products and contacting either @Mpgrimm2 or @DeereGuy here on the forum.

For a RA3 or RA4 upgrade read this,
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/diy-2013-2017-ra3-ra4-8-4-radio-upgrade-hvac-conversion.135601/

And for the new Carplay Android UAS / UAQ upgrade read this,
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

Either way M2Mods is the hands down winner on knowledge, product and support.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm one who went the Infotainment route - however if I had it to do all over again I would not and do as suggested above and gather the parts on my own... To keep from re-typing here's a post on it from a while back...

6-18-2019 1-16-52 AM.jpg

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I appreciate the info, but digging into my harness isn't something I want to do.. PLus, I have a 10 month old, I don't have the time to source parts and put everything together.. That's why I was thinking of the infotainment deal.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I appreciate the info, but digging into my harness isn't something I want to do.. PLus, I have a 10 month old, I don't have the time to source parts and put everything together.. That's why I was thinking of the infotainment deal.

For the RA3/RA4 upgrade (and possibly the carplay as well, I didn't do that so not up to speed on it), The "Harness work" will be the same whether you do the "self install" method with @Mpgrimm2 's harness or buying from Infotainment - It's plug an play for both. But I get it the other reasons you stated are valid as well of course. I've been happy with the Infotainment setup, so if you decide to go that route you won't have any issues. Ask about trading in your old unit that will save you a bit, and if they offer a Mil discount as well if that applies. Also it's nice in that you place the order, everything comes in a single box and you can be up and running within an hour or two of opening the box, plus having the warranty.

USB should stay the same, ie no changes required there if you do RA3/RA4. I think with Carplay they might be some differences, but check the threads mentioned above, or ask Infotainment.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

The work will be the same, infotainment just charges a lot more than if you just find the parts yourself on line. You could probably do it for $600-700.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Find parts yourself, for instance I have a basic 2013 8.4 non nav I am going to sell for like $200 taken from truck at 29,000 miles. You can find all the parts and save a lot. Depends on year of truck, what options you want, etc.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
It’s not hard to change that out, I read Mpgrimm2 manual’s and watched the infotainment YouTube videos, was easy, they explain very well and even helped me update, all the support you need is here

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I missread the posts.. looked like i had to dig into the harnesses.. i do not want to do that.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I missread the posts.. looked like i had to dig into the harnesses.. i do not want to do that.

No it's plug an play, your existing harness plugs right into the RA3, plus a few more cables that swap over and plug right in. Add the 911 plug, then you add the controller to the right door jamb spot and run that cable over to the center dash and plug it in there. Swap out the AC/Heat bezel and that's pretty much it. No cutting/splicing/etc required. I'm oversimplifying a bit but it's really an easy install once you get over yanking the center cluster trim piece off :).

Watch that Infotainment video it goes over everything. I did it in less than an hour basically. Also read my thread at https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ra2-to-ra4-8-4an-upgrade-kit.124804/ which has more info on my install and also some more bits on the pricing, etc.

Note again while I am happy with the Infotainment kit, if I were doing it today I would go the "self install" route sourcing my own parts and cable from @Mpgrimm2

Last edited:

xFred12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have said, @Mpgrimm2 is your go to. Switching from the 5.0 to 8.4 Nav was my 2nd upgrade in my truck, Leather steering wheel w/ audio controls was the first. I was able to get the dash bezel and radio by searching through car-part.com . @Mpgrimm2 hooked me up with the plug and play harness and answered all questions I had. For sure, it is cheaper to gather parts yourself. Saves you some money. Infotainment gives you everything you need as a package, but look at the price tag. Sooo, which one do you have - Time and patience or money?
Good Luck!

OP
OP
Fnjoey

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find parts yourself, for instance I have a basic 2013 8.4 non nav I am going to sell for like $200 taken from truck at 29,000 miles. You can find all the parts and save a lot. Depends on year of truck, what options you want, etc.

Is it the ra3? Can youbmsg me some pics, may be interested.

Gwfillmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been thinking of upgrading to the infotainment 8.4 non navi system, to replace my current 5.0 system? But the price is hanging me up.. $1000 for a factory radio is a steep price compared to aftermarket stuff.. Is it worth the money to go to the 8.4? Also, would I have to change out my usb ports that are in my center console/armrest?
From what I've seen you'd have to change that out to get carplay...

Knight King

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
6 cly
I went with infotainment just last month. I am in Ontario Canada and ordered online. Even had to pay the exchange rate. Yes I agree it might be a little over priced but.. I received it with 2 or 3 days and and installed it on my lunch at work 30-40 minutes. I have a 2016 ram which had the 5” without Nav. It was the nav I wanted and the bigger screen. The back up camera is way better with the bigger screen! It installed exactly as they showed on their installation videos. No problems at all. Just had to call SiriusXM to give them the new code for the radio. I am with the OP. My time is money I am not about run around finding all these parts for cheaper. Infotainment is reputable and it is basically plug and play.

Bobd2457

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about it but ended up going with a loaded pioneer 8200 with everything you can put on it. Cost was around 1200 installed including a Shakespeare marine GPS hard mounted antenna. All the features of the factory option.

AlanWillis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought the RA4 conversion from infotainment & the 911 plug doesn't work. They sent me another one & it still pops up the 911 warning 4 or 5 times a day. The radio doesn't like cold weather. Around 25 degrees it will come on but no sound. Just not quite worth the 1500.00 .They only offered me 125.00 for my RA2.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sorry to hear about your radio troubles, have you been able to reach out to Infotainment.com for some warranty help? When you buy something no matter how large or small the price there is a certain level of expectation that it should perform properly and if not then it should be replaced or your $ refunded. Sounds like your 911 error might have been with the head unit as opposed to the plug if the issue persisted. I don't know much about them and I might be incorrect but I thought it was a plug with some type of resistor. If you paid for it by credit card many card companies will double your warranty up to an additional year. All in all for $1500 you should get a properly working unit, don't be shy about reaching out to Doug the owner personally if you haven't already.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm starting to think maybe sticking with my simple 5.0 is the best bet...unless it dies horribly down the road!!!!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I bought the RA4 conversion from infotainment & the 911 plug doesn't work. They sent me another one & it still pops up the 911 warning 4 or 5 times a day. The radio doesn't like cold weather. Around 25 degrees it will come on but no sound. Just not quite worth the 1500.00 .They only offered me 125.00 for my RA2.
If the radio is cutting out based on hot/cold weather it's likely a bad solder joint on the board and nothing to do but replace the unit (similar issues reported sporadically on the forum by others in cold climates). New radio would likely fix the cell error issue as well. Hopefully this is recent enough to your purchase time for them to send you a replacement.

It's a big reason why I prefer to sell only the harnesses (I do get the occasional 8.4 radio from time to time that I only offer if it's been run in my truck for a few days.)

M² Mods.

Last edited: