Injector Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Good Morning all,

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 HD with a 6.7L. I bought the truck used about 3 months ago. It has 120k on it. I have been getting the CEL light on about every 2 to 3 weeks for various Injector timing faults. I have no loss in power my MPG are mid 20's on the highway and 17-18 combined. I am the second owner of this and do not know what the other owner did as far as preventive maintenance. I am able to clear the codes and they do not pop up for a few weeks later. This is my first diesel and I do not know if I am doing anything wrong. I looked up the codes on the internet for some help and I am hoping it is just dirty or sticking injectors and some additive will help. I am hoping I do not have to dig into the wiring harness or replace injectors/ECM. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What are the codes? Is the truck deleted and tuned?

You are not, cannot be doing anything wrong. It's either been tuned and having an issue or you have a flaky injector. I don't think additives will help in this situation but post up the codes so we can see. Probably the reason the previous owner traded it in. Seems pretty very common these day that people just dump their problem vehicle and let the new owner worry about it.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Job 1 is to figure out if you’re dealing with a stock vehicle or not. Might need to take it to a good tech to determine that.

I’m curious if you’re getting those mpg figures from the dash or hand calculations. They seem a little high and if that’s the dash reading then higher than actual is a sign of tuners sometimes.

120k is a little early, however depending on use you may have some injector wear. Higher pressure and more injections per power stroke have reduced injector life compared to a couple of generations ago.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As far as I know the veh is stock. I am getting my figures from the dash. I get various codes like p0201, p0203, p0205. never really the same code. FYI I have only had this happen 3 times and never the same. The veh is clean and according to the records I have he took it to the dealership to get the basic service done at the proper intervals.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those codes are for open circuits to the various injectors. I’d start by disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting all the wiring harness plugs between the ECM and the injectors.

Shouldn’t take a tech very long if you want to hire it out.

I hate random electrical faults, those are a PITA.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Same here. I did not think about that. Are these like a gasoline veh injectors, where the plug and injector are on the outside of the veh? OR is this something I will have to farm out? I cna do most engine work but diesel is new to me. Again thanks for all of your help.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s the external harness from ECM to engine, but the injectors are under the valve cover, and the final connector is in there.

Don’t depend on this, but I seem to vaguely recall hearing years ago about some 6.7 that were having issues with the wiring harness inside the valve cover.

I don’t want to portray myself as a big expert, because I’m not. But do have a 2018 Cummins and a handful of previous generations so I’ve been around them a long time.

Hopefully someone will be along that knows more than me. There’s also some diesel specific forums out there that have a lot of expertise on tap.

If I was having the valve cover off, I’d check valve lash while I was in there. Half the labor is just getting the cover off and on.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ok kewl thanks again. I have a Cummins factory garage right down the road from my work. I can see what they can do. I can check the external connections and if no go take it to them for further diag.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
One last question Travelin Ram...Do you use any kinda of additive in your fuel? Like Power Service Diesel Kleen?

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Update....... IT has been almost 30 days and 1k miles and no CEL. I did have the fuel filters replaced and have been running about 4 to 5 tanks of Diesel kleen. I am just wondering if when the dealership took it in and sold to me if they just reset them.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Update 2... I took it to the dealership where I use to work and had them upgrade my PCM and a few other modules. They were outdated. Seems Chrysler updates the timing specs. She has been running flawlessly now for about 2 months now.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Third update.......All has been great I have not had any other issues with her. She is running great. The flash to the PCM did the trick.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Third update.......All has been great I have not had any other issues with her. She is running great. The flash to the PCM did the trick.
Still good? I am running into this and am going in for that update on the 1st. The soonest I could get in.

OP
OP
Wallyb4

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It has been 6 months now and I have not had the dreaded Injector timing fault. She is running like a dream. ( Now that I said this watch what happens)