Installed 10" Infotainment Unit, need sanity check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have installed a 10" Android infotainment unit in my 2017 Tradesman Crew and a 40w amp (write up and review later). I am using the original harness plus Metra harnesses. I have wired the unit to have the dash speakers come off the power of the head unit, and created two channels for the front door speakers (CH1) and rear door speakers (CH2). I intend the amp to power the door speakers. However, I am not getting sound from the door speakers. I have checked for power and it is present at all connection points (head unit to amp input, amp output to door, door pin connection, but not at speakers off Y harness. I'm on my way to get a set of Y harness. Here's where it gets interesting. I disconnected the amp channels (1 and 2) from the amp, but the left driver door speaker is now getting power. This could only happen if the dash and front door speakers were on the same channel. So now I need a sanity check. Does Ram put the dash and front doors speakers on the same or a separate channel? I've checked and retraced the wiring, so I know I don't have wiring crossed. I'll do more on the rear cab speaker trouble shooting after I have new Y harnesses installed. But more importantly, is the base installation all on a single channel?

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have installed a 10" Android infotainment unit in my 2017 Tradesman Crew and a 40w amp (write up and review later). I am using the original harness plus Metra harnesses. I have wired the unit to have the dash speakers come off the power of the head unit, and created two channels for the front door speakers (CH1) and rear door speakers (CH2). I intend the amp to power the door speakers. However, I am not getting sound from the door speakers. I have checked for power and it is present at all connection points (head unit to amp input, amp output to door, door pin connection, but not at speakers off Y harness. I'm on my way to get a set of Y harness. Here's where it gets interesting. I disconnected the amp channels (1 and 2) from the amp, but the left driver door speaker is now getting power. This could only happen if the dash and front door speakers were on the same channel. So now I need a sanity check. Does Ram put the dash and front doors speakers on the same or a separate channel? I've checked and retraced the wiring, so I know I don't have wiring crossed. I'll do more on the rear cab speaker trouble shooting after I have new Y harnesses installed. But more importantly, is the base installation all on a single channel?
I believe they are the same channel on the basic 6 speaker setup. In addition, the T-Style units come in two configurations for Ram trucks 1. Basic system and 2 Alpine system.

If you post a picture of the main T -Style harness (the end that plugs into the truck harness showing the side where the wires run into the back of the harness) I should be able to tell what they shipped you.

Why are you using an additional metra harness?

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rephrase - 1 Metra harness and one control module.
Metra Axxess LC-CHRC-01 (main harness)
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Interface/Steering Wheel Control
And from more testing, I believe you are correct - it is a single channel. I'll just run new wire to the speakers over the next weekend, or might add a box for under rear seat and add a pair of 6x9s, leave rear disconnected.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Rephrase - 1 Metra harness and one control module.
Metra Axxess LC-CHRC-01 (main harness)
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Interface/Steering Wheel Control
And from more testing, I believe you are correct - it is a single channel. I'll just run new wire to the speakers over the next weekend, or might add a box for under rear seat and add a pair of 6x9s, leave rear disconnected.
I would verify the harness they sent you first before making drastic changes (unless you were planning new wires anyway). I know the harness difference can matter, but they also do things with the firmware for certain trucks and there are several software options for the Ram trim level. All of the aforementioned is rather unintuitive and I'd hate to see you troubleshoot something unnecessarily.

I no longer use my T-Style, but I've spent entirely too much time fiddling with these so i could pay forward after a T-Style was gifted to me by a forum member.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Also, does your truck have factory steering wheel controls? If so, the metra modules/harness is unnecessary. The radio can send signal to an amp and receive CANBUS signals from the steering wheel controls natively.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SitKneelBend - your offer is generous. I have a Tradesman crew 4x4, base everything. I had previously added a 7" android radio in 2017. I have a long post on troubleshooting that install due to the Metra data being incorrect. I absolutely need the harness and interface to allow any Chinese radio to work. Install is done, traced the speaker issue to the Y wire harnesses on three of the speakers. Replaced with Metra Y today and done!