Installed a 60" LED tailgate light bar and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale Sawanas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not a mechanic not am I mechanically inclined but both the wife and I chose to install this ourselves. We also chose to hard wire it instead of the plug and play method.

Now it is mounted correctly and it works but there are a couple of problems that I cannot figure out.

It only works correctly when we are applying the brakes? Both the turn signals and brake lights work only when we apply the brake. The running light does not work and the white reverse light does not work on the lightbar.

I've connected all the wires using quick splice wire connectors. I connected the yellow, brown, white and green wires and matched them up with the same colors. I connected the additional white Reverse Light wire to the reverse taillight module. There were two wires in there. One black and one purple. We connected it to the black wire as we watched a YouTube video from OPT7. The original white reverse light still works but the white light on the lightbar does not light up. We have a Multimeter but do not know where and how to use it to verify which wire to connect it to. I've searched everywhere on the internet for videos or wiring diagrams for the 2017 Ram Rebel and cannot locate one.

This is the model of the light bar we purchased: https://www.amazon.ca/Tailgate-Conn...=sr_1_11?keywords=opl5&qid=1587308582&sr=8-11

silverWS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not sure how to fix your issue, but you might get a better response over on the 4th gen section.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'm late to the party (Missed We rebel guys had our own sub...)

Sounds like you probably got a wire swapped. Probably missed the common wire. Looks like it uses the 4 wire connector, but your description sounds like it should have been rigged for the 7 wire.

Black is (normally) negative, and that is a "common".

Gotta be careful of "Did everyone actually use the same wire color..."