Installed a Sony XAV-AX100 in my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I may just get a new phone. Apple is offering $300 off if you trade in an iPhone 8, and I know I wouldn’t get that much for it a year from now. If I were happy with it I’d keep it but the constant lagging and hanging when I’m trying to type is really annoying me.

Anyhow, I’ve just been trying to open XM from the CarPlay interface. I listen to the same 3-4 channels so when it does work it’s actually not bad as the app opens on the “Recents” tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that’s what I do as well. The recent tabs covers 3 or so apps so my maps, XL and phone are prob always there.

I actually just got th new iPhone XS max tonight and it’s a huge jump over the 6s.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Does your back up camera work with it?

Factory guidelines that turn with the steering wheel are still there. The image quality is great.

Hookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That sounds like just what i'm looking for, only I'd have to pay someone to install it for me. We don't have any reputable shops around here.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
That sounds like just what i'm looking for, only I'd have to pay someone to install it for me. We don't have any reputable shops around here.

Here’s the reverse cam ...

b687f51ec926336b6fc747c9c9e88191.jpg

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Can you send the link of where you got this or give a little direction on where you bought this from please? Really like it and want to emulate it with my Ram. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Ok sorry i found it. Can you post a picture of how you mounted the USB bracket? And it says you lost the AUX input connection. Did you modify anything to keep that functuonality or is it unneccessary due to bluetooth?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Ok sorry i found it. Can you post a picture of how you mounted the USB bracket? And it says you lost the AUX input connection. Did you modify anything to keep that functuonality or is it unneccessary due to bluetooth?

I’ll get a pic tomorrow .... this radio has no aux input so there’s no way to keep that function.

You can use Bluetooth audio, or you can just use CarPlay to play whatever audio is coming from your phone.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L

Pic below..... as you can see, it doesn’t quite lock itself in just right. I could easily tack it down with a little glue, but I purposely haven’t done so yet because I’m pretty sure as of right now I’m going to try and move this to the center console.

I’d like to try and modify one of the OEM usb charge ports to use a USB extension cable and replace the 12v outlet in the console.

It’ll be another couple of weeks before I have time to try it, but I’m going to open the dash up this weekend and look at the USB charge port I have now to see if it’s even possible.

8d78d66ef6574fbb1bd622b18c51717c.jpg

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I have the center console USB jack in my 14 Ram 1500. Do you know if with the harness already built in the Sony, i would be able to continue using the factory jack

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Any plans to replace your speakers?

I’m currently rethinking my original statement to not replace the speakers.

This truck was back in the shop this week, so I drove the Laramie we have with the alpine system for a couple days and forgot how much better that sounds.

I may go ahead and order dash & front door speakers to see if I can get any improvement. I just don’t want to get too far down the rabbit hole and end up spending a bunch of money on this. I can live with how it sounds but if I can get some improvement for a couple hundred bucks I’d be willing to try it.

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8

This truck was back in the shop this week, so I drove the Laramie we have with the alpine system for a couple days and forgot how much better that sounds.

I may go ahead and order dash & front door speakers to see if I can get any improvement. I just don’t want to get too far down the rabbit hole and end up spending a bunch of money on this. I can live with how it sounds but if I can get some improvement for a couple hundred bucks I’d be willing to try it.

Are we talking just replacing the front dash and door speakers to Alpine?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Are we talking just replacing the front dash and door speakers to Alpine?

Not specifically alpine, just a better quality aftermarket speaker.

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Not specifically alpine, just a better quality aftermarket speaker.

There has to be something better than stock without paying the "Alpine" price. Id search at best buy, maybe even HHGregg

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Do you lose being able to adjust settings available in the factory head unit?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Do you lose being able to adjust settings available in the factory head unit?

Yes, which I was slightly worried about. The XAV-AX210 is compatible with the Maestro unit but is $200 more, plus the maestro.

My settings have only been reverted twice by the dealer when in for service that I can remember.

But if it happens again, it would take me about 20 minutes to pull this radio, connect the factory head unit and reset them.

The way I have this radio installed I wouldn’t have to remove it to get to the factory harness. I should be able to pull it out enough to connect the factory head unit without removing the Sony. But even if I do have to remove it, that’s a 5 minute job to pull out and out back.

My trailer brake gain settings are adjustable through the factory brake controller in the dash, so the only settings I would need to adjust with the factory unit are the headlight delay and door locks. Nothing I’m too particularly concerned with right now.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
There has to be something better than stock without paying the "Alpine" price. Id search at best buy, maybe even HHGregg

Looking on Crutchfield, and searching by power ratings of this radio, it looks like I can replace them for less than $200 with what should be decent speakers.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I spent about $250 on dash speakers and speakers for all four doors. I used JBL Club series 3.5” for the dash speakers and JBL Club series 6x9’s in all four doors. The sound was a major improvement over the stock units while still using the stock head unit. I highly recommend them. If you buy them from crutchfields, like I did, they include the harness adapters so it makes it an easy plug and play installation.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
What does the maestro unit do?