Installed HID both High/low beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cworrall268

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
All, on my Ram 1500 limited with projectors installed both high and low beam with decoders and resistors. Low beam work high beams nothing. I used the Alfaobd to change voltage to 13.8 it was at 13 and also to has HID preset and still no High Beams. Also my auto high beam is not working now. Any ideas?

mrclean426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Just a guess, 1) are you using a relay harness?
If yes then set voltage to max as the ecm i believe controls voltage via pulse width modualtion and the relay flutters with the pulse and wont trigger start in hid. installed hids in an 01 i used to own and headlights worked but drl wouldnt trigger hid for same reason.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
HIDs aren't for high beams because they require warm-up.
Can't 'flash' them like halogens or LEDs.
Yank all the resistors/ballasts for the high beams and use CANBUS-safe LEDs.
This, generally speaking HIDs take too long to warm up to be used as brights because it could be up to 2 minutes before they are even up to there operating "brightness".

LEDs are much better for this application and will actually have their max brightness when first turned on and will lose some brightness as they heat up (generally speaking)...

Last edited:

ManUtdMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
low beam with decoders and resistors.
I just installed some HID's in my projector low-beams with the Hikari canbus decoders and the lights turn off and wont stay on when I start the car. I've been told I need capacitors to keep a charge flowing to the HID's so I ordered the Innovited HID Capacitors. Does this sound right? Do you know if I would connect the the Capacitors to the existing decoders or does this replace the decoders? Can't seem to find any good wireframes or videos that explain how to connect these all together.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just installed some HID's in my projector low-beams with the Hikari canbus decoders and the lights turn off and wont stay on when I start the car. I've been told I need capacitors to keep a charge flowing to the HID's so I ordered the Innovited HID Capacitors. Does this sound right? Do you know if I would connect the the Capacitors to the existing decoders or does this replace the decoders? Can't seem to find any good wireframes or videos that explain how to connect these all together.
If you have alfaobd you dont need any extra harnesses/capacitors/relays, you just set your lights to hid in the app. Lot less crap to take up space.

taderz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a guess, 1) are you using a relay harness?
If yes then set voltage to max as the ecm i believe controls voltage via pulse width modualtion and the relay flutters with the pulse and wont trigger start in hid. installed hids in an 01 i used to own and headlights worked but drl wouldnt trigger hid for same reason.
New to alpha and all can you share how to change the voltage? I am having a similar issue with my hid's