Installed new Rear View Camera; not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. 2014 Ram 1500 with 8.4 UAQ. My original tailgate handle rearview camera died, and it showed the "blue screen" when shifting into reverse. Alfa OBD threw a fault code for "camera lost connection". I installed a new taligate handle rearview camera, and now it shows a "black screen" when shifting into reverse, with the message, "Check Your Surroundings". Additionally, Alfa OBD still gives me a fault code. I worked with 2 Alfa OBD settings: VehConfig Rear View Camera
and ECU Config Rear View Camera Present.
Changed them both to "NO", disconnected the battery, reconnected the battery, then switched both back to "YES"...still the same "black screen"...which I thought would at least be a "blue screen"? Is there a waiting period before it cycles on? HELP!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Hey guys. 2014 Ram 1500 with 8.4 UAQ. My original tailgate handle rearview camera died, and it showed the "blue screen" when shifting into reverse. Alfa OBD threw a fault code for "camera lost connection". I installed a new taligate handle rearview camera, and now it shows a "black screen" when shifting into reverse, with the message, "Check Your Surroundings". Additionally, Alfa OBD still gives me a fault code. I worked with 2 Alfa OBD settings: VehConfig Rear View Camera
and ECU Config Rear View Camera Present.
Changed them both to "NO", disconnected the battery, reconnected the battery, then switched both back to "YES"...still the same "black screen"...which I thought would at least be a "blue screen"? Is there a waiting period before it cycles on? HELP!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Have you ever configured and added a new device using alfa obd before ?
Was it a harness plug and play (with a connector)?
How many wires in the harness ?

What are the wire colors ?

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used an aftermarket tailgate cam, like the one prior that went bad. I ran a whole new wire set back from the tailgate to the dash, and into the 8.4 UAQ. I already had the RCA camera input "pinned-in" to the radio harness (31 and 32) from the prior install, and ran a new power tap to the 12v socket + and a negative ground. Although I've been using Alfa for about 8 months (for over a dozen config changes) the dealership originally flashed my Ram for the previous camera back in 2016. When that camera went bad, my screen went "blue" whenever I shifted into reverse...now that the new camera is installed, the screen is "black". I've gone as far as to change both VehConfig and ECUConfig back to "NO", then disconnect the battery, reconnect it, then change both back to "YES". With the battery disconnect, it took a while for my 8.4 UAQ to reconfigure correctly (as is the usual scenario) but my reverse camera still shows a "black" screen. I'm wondering if the camera also cycles through a delay to reconfigure maybe?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had issues with the connector between the tailgate and the truck on my 2013 Laramie. Took it apart, cleaned the contacts, applied dielectric grease, reassembled, and never had another issue with blue or black screens.

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may look into checking my older existing RCA connection that's on my UAQ radio harness and make sure it has a clean connection...my taligate handle camera has its own (new) 18' harness. One of my biggest concerns is that for 4th Gen Rams, if the BCM is flashed correctly for a rear view camera, it will show the "blue" screen if a camera is not connected at all, or even if its malfunctioning. I know the "black" screens signifies something else, but can't remember what it is...

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've given the system time to set and cycle, and now I have the "blue" screen with "Camera Unavailable" message. I have all the Alfa OBD settings correct, so maybe I need to double-check my power and ground wires to see if they're making proper contact.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've given the system time to set and cycle, and now I have the "blue" screen with "Camera Unavailable" message. I have all the Alfa OBD settings correct, so maybe I need to double-check my power and ground wires to see if they're making proper contact.
The BCM talks to the RVC on a LIN bus. If the BCM loses communications with the RVC, you will get this condition. If you have a code scanner, you should be able to see if you have a lost communications DTC with the RVC. I'll say again, don't trust that connector between the tailgate and the truck, it seems to be a trouble spot.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
You disconnected the battery and discharged current when handling the installation, did you test the camera’s continuity before and after installation?
How many wires does the harness have ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the connection between the tailgate & the under the bed wiring is the issue 90% of the time
If it is partially connected, you will get the BLUE screen

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the camera, there is the RCA and 2 wires...positive and negative.
The camera RCA connects to the 8.4 UAQ via (2) pinned-wires, "pinned -in" to slots 31 and 32 on the OEM radio harness.

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are connections near the handle camera and behind the dash; otherwise, its a straight flex-loomed cable run under the truck bed. Both connections have been properly fitted and shrink-taped...I will double-check the positive and negative connections and report my findings. Maybe one of those connections became loose behind the dash when installing (and possibly yanked too hard). Would lack of power possibly be the cause of a blue screen?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
From the camera, there is the RCA and 2 wires...positive and negative.
The camera RCA connects to the 8.4 UAQ via (2) pinned-wires, "pinned -in" to slots 31 and 32 on the OEM radio harness.
I would look into that pined part of your harness that one of those wires in the harness leads to the CAN buss, the other question is the camera looks the same externally but is it the same internally ?

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, it turns out that for some reason, I wasn't getting power to the camera; I should've tested the + and - behind the dash, but my tap into the 12v socket line wasn't sufficient. Instead, I decided not to run the + and - wires into the cab, and ran a fuse tap for the + and a negative ground under the hood as well...and now the camera is getting full power. So far, I'm still waiting for my UAQ to "restore" from disconnecting the battery during install. Hopefully everything works when it does...stay tuned

OP
OP
UnkoBro

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*UPDATE*
IT WORKS!!!
Solution: better power supply location (Fuse Tap) and relocate negative ground.
Thank you for those that took the time to offer-up ideas for troubleshooting...have a blessed day!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For general reference, one should stay away from Vampire Taps. These eventually end up damaging wires (cutting wires). A MUCH better solution is a Posi-tap. They are much more $$ but much better.

Last edited:

Ram150022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi UnkoBro. I bought an aftermarket radio and a tailgate camera recently. Everything worked fine except the camera. When the vehicle was put into reverse you could see it was trying to work, but then displayed no signal on the screen. I tapped into the backup lights for power, but surprised to measure 12.79 volts. This should have been enough voltage for the camera, but it did not work with this. I ended up powering up the camera with voltage tapped from the 12v cigarette connector. This measured 14.1 volts instead of the backup light 12.79 volts. The video cable from the camera has an extra power wire that I used to supply the 14.1 v from the cigarette outlet back to the tailgate. I then used a 9volt relay with a normally open pin to power the camera. The power from the extra wire goes to the relay common pin. The relay is powered by the backup light. When the vehicle is in reverse, the relay is energized and the camera is then powered up. Where solution, but it works now. Maybe the backup voltage is a pulse width modulated voltage. Hope this solves your problem.

Ram150022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just after I posted this I saw that the problem was solved. Maybe this will help others with aftermarket backup cameras.