installed pioneer 8400nex, sound is tinny, barely audible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am replacing the 8.4 with the upgrade alpine factory audio system in my 2015 2500. I installed the idatalink maestro and their CH3 harness. I double checked the schematic to make sure it's all correct.
The sound coming out of the speakers is barely audible and very tinny. Like an old AM clock radio.
Radio appears to be fully functional. The idatalink settings are working.

The idatalink harness schematic is here:
http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RR-CHR/ADS-RR(SR)-CHR03-DS-IG-EN_20180821.pdf

Any ideas?

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I found the issue. The schematics say to swap the white and green connectors if you have an amp which I do. This appears to be incorrect. I switched them back and now it works. I do have the upgrade alpine system. It does have amp. I found it, it's there.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wish there was a way to setup custom audio settings for each input. I go to CarPlay and listen to Spotify and there's way too much bass and it's super loud at the current volume level. Then I go to the HD radio and it's much quieter and there's no where near as much bass.
I can tweak the audio settings to make both sound good but that's not something you want to do every time you switch from one to the other.

It doesn't give me an option to adjust fade front to back. Only balance left or right. Edit - standard mode doesn't give you front to back fade. Have to use network mode to get this.

But with idatalink it integrates very well with the vehicle. Turning the air knob or pushing any climate buttons instant brings up the climate screen on the stereo. I can still use my volume knob rather than the buttons on the stereo. And of course the steering wheel controls work great.

This is the Pioneer Avic-w8400nex.

Not sure if I should be using standard mode or network mode? This is the upgraded 10 speaker alpine system.

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I didn’t know that was possible, interesting. I just assumed the amp didn’t have any normal inputs since it was controlled via Canbus.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
What exactly are u expecting out of stock speakers and amps? The only reason is I ask is I've never upgraded a radio in any vehicle and kept stock speakers. I also have a nex radio but I went complete diff direction.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Your experience may vary but with my 4700bhs, i had to do the parking brake deal to access network mode plus the majority of the other settings. Additionally, the claimed 4v output is not clean. Clips at 3v.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What exactly are u expecting out of stock speakers and amps? The only reason is I ask is I've never upgraded a radio in any vehicle and kept stock speakers. I also have a nex radio but I went complete diff direction.

I actually really like the upgraded factory alpine system. Sounds perfect to me. Oh I’ve done all sorts of installs over the years in a variety of vehicles but I’m over that. Speakers, components, subs, amps,etc. Those days are behind me.
All I really wanted was wireless CarPlay. And an additional camera. I would have just gotten a stock 8.4 with CarPlay if it wasn't $1400

I had a upgraded factory system in my previous titan and loved that too. Only swapped out the head unit when Android auto became a thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Your experience may vary but with my 4700bhs, i had to do the parking brake deal to access network mode plus the majority of the other settings. Additionally, the claimed 4v output is not clean. Clips at 3v.
Factory reset lets you choose between standard or network. The big question is which one. I'm using standard. I've read and watched videos on it and still can't decide. When I have more time I may just switch it to network and see what happens.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Network turns your rca into high, mid and sub out. I don't think it applies to speaker level outputs. I think it turns those off completely.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Network turns your rca into high, mid and sub out. I don't think it applies to speaker level outputs. I think it turns those off completely.
I tested today and switched to network mode. Not only did it work it sounds much better. Only made one minor tweak to the EQ and the sound is right where I want it.

Wade Cunha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Archer do you miss the larger screen? I have 13 and I want to get a unit with CarPlay and I don’t want to spend $1,000 on the Alpine ILX-309.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And does the factory voice activation still work.like if you say change source to USB or tune to a certain station.I absolutely hate the sound of my uaq i'am just torn between aftermarket and a ra4.you have any installed pics.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
There is so much that these radios offer as far as sound controls. I upgraded mine late last yr.

OP
OP
A

archer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Archer do you miss the larger screen? I have 13 and I want to get a unit with CarPlay and I don’t want to spend $1,000 on the Alpine ILX-309.
Not really. I mean, i'd love to have a larger screen but the pioneer screen works well.