Installed Tsla style radio, trial and tribulations,2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered a PX6464 Android 9.0 directly from TPXINXIN in China and installed it today. Pretty nice!

It's very complex, and came with no instructions or user manual.

Every YT video I found had a different rear configuration, so I was on my own. Fortunately, the install was mostly straight forward.

When I first turned the key on, nothing happened and I had a near panic attack. There was a little module that said "CAN", and I thought canbus? I plugged it in, turned the key on, and got a nice splash page with a white Ram. Very weird, because I plugged the module in, and there is also an output plug unused.

Steering wheel controls work. It connects quickly and wirelessly to my iPhone to play Pandora. I got a message from my son and listened to it while I was driving. Big, big upgrade to the 2009 head unit.

Does anyone know if this is the same as a Phoenix unit?

There was no place on the unit for the heated seat switch, or heated steering wheel. Also, the module that contained the hazard light switch is not plugged in.

I don't know where to look in the set up to see if they work, or if a cable is missing, or what. So, looking for some instructions/help.

Thanks,New Tesla Style Radio.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In essence, it's probably the same one that Phoenix sources. As mentioned, my unit came with no instructions, or anything. I reached back out to the factory and they cleared up a couple of things on the actual install, but I was missing the PIN number to get into the set up menu. While watching a Phoenix video on YT, the narrator spoke a pin code out loud. Holy schmokes...it works on my radio! Got into the system set up, and the factory had correctly configured it for 2009-2012 RAM. Nice.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
In essence, it's probably the same one that Phoenix sources. As mentioned, my unit came with no instructions, or anything. I reached back out to the factory and they cleared up a couple of things on the actual install, but I was missing the PIN number to get into the set up menu. While watching a Phoenix video on YT, the narrator spoke a pin code out loud. Holy schmokes...it works on my radio! Got into the system set up, and the factory had correctly configured it for 2009-2012 RAM. Nice.
Generally speaking all of the Tesla Style radios are the same hardware and the firmware is also interchangeable between "brands" (read retailers) so long as the hardware matches. They are all coming out of the same factory.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they are coming out of the same factory, why are people having so many problems? I mean, I'm not doubting you. Are the drunks working the midnight shift? You'd think QC would be more refined with single point manufacture.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
It'***** or miss. Same factory, same workers, same pay/conditions. Cheap hardware, bad crimp or solder joint can make a big difference and probably less QC depending where you buy it from and how much you save. China is having lots of issues right now as well... rolling blackouts, covid restrictions and water shortages/flooding.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully the day they assembled mine was a happy factory day! Biggest glitch so far is the mic dropping out randomly on a phone call. I'm connected via BT, but the headunit says not connected.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If they are coming out of the same factory, why are people having so many problems? I mean, I'm not doubting you. Are the drunks working the midnight shift? You'd think QC would be more refined with single point manufacture.
I should have said the same Chinese factory. Their software is often a weak spot, especially when translated to other languages. There is a great Russian developer who was making custom rooted firmware for $100.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should have said the same Chinese factory. Their software is often a weak spot, especially when translated to other languages. There is a great Russian developer who was making custom rooted firmware for $100.
Yeah, I'm hitting another glitch. I'm sure it can be sorted out after enough research, but I'm thinking of cutting to the chase and getting his software.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah, I'm hitting another glitch. I'm sure it can be sorted out after enough research, but I'm thinking of cutting to the chase and getting his software.
I don't think you'd be disappointed, especially if you want root. What glitch are you speaking of?

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for delay...took a week off and went to Hawaii. There were two key issues after the initial install. The main switch bank needed to be relocated to top of the console. However, the cable wasn't long enough to reach the new position. Got that resolved, pics below.

The glitch is that the switches that control heated seats and heated steering wheel were supposed to be integrated into the software. There is no physical space to relocate the switch bank. The plug has several wires, as there are several functions to control. The head unit came with one wire to the canbus. I've been discussing with the factory, but now they are on seven day holiday. Ugh.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More progress...
The switch bank got moved to top of console...
1) Relocated switch pack.jpg
The cable wasn't long enough. Chopped off the plug and extended the wires...
2) Extended the cable.jpg
Got the cab set up for battle...put down rags to catch any errant solder or flux
3) Set up to work.jpg
Got the dash side of the cable prepped...
4) Prep cable in dash.jpg
Ready to mate them up...
5) Ready to solder.jpg
"Helping hand" to solder wires together...
6) Helping hand to solder.jpg
Soldering complete, along with shrink tubing...
7) Soldering complete.jpg
Wrapped the cable and plugged it in.
8) Cable tidied up and connected.jpg
Yay...it works!

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As it turns out, the problem with the heated seat is not in the radio. So, at this point, I'm giving the radio 9.8 out of ten stars. The short cable issue that I resolved above is a known issue, and they could include an extension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963