Installing a 2019-2021 12.1 (UAX) Radio in 4th Gen RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well here we go, I received the initial Pieces of my Major Mod (and I thought the Floor Console/Shifter & 5th Gen Tail Lights where my biggest achievement). This Mod won't be done Over Night nor over the course of a week, what I will do is document the process and along with some very talented forum members should be able to get anyone with a desire to take this on, the info and work needed to do it right.

Fist things first; I have a 2015 PW- Any thing before 2016 will need a new BCM. I purchased one from @Roman217 which he graciously programed for me and should arrive today if not tomorrow. This will also be my my first install since the rest of the Mod relies on this unit and can run it independently and likely benefit me in other ways.

Next; The Main Components the Head Unit and Screen - These arrived today

Head Unit: 68378392AB (superseded by 68378392AG)

20210402_171531.jpg
Instrument Panel Parts Module+Uconnect 12.0 with Navigation.

Center Stack - Display: 68423810AA (superseded by 68423810AB)

20210402_171714.jpg

2020 - 2021 Instrument Panel Parts Module+12.0* Touchscreen Display+Lane Keep

It's Beautiful, the Carbon Fiber Surround would be so sweet unfortunately I'd likely have to switch to a 5th gen Dash - Possible but expensive

So what's next - well I have a List of things to acquire I will post each PN as I get them

Wiring Harnesses
Head Unit to Display - I guess there are 2
68082364AC "Mopar Jumper Cable" No cable no screen display around $25
Haven't Found the Data Cable yet The 8 pin (or 6 Pin) is off the Main Harness so Either a Re-pin or Adapter
Truck to Head Unit (Adapter?) -
Harness to Video Module (360 Surround)

Modules
Video 360 - Control Module CVPM PN: 68318033AG
Misc Modules? -

Cluster? (Do I need a 2017 +?)

High Mount CHMSL - Found one the forsale section

2020 - 2021 Exterior Mirrors with Camera
I think I have the PN's to Track down

Extra 4th GEN Center Bezel for a Console (So I can mess up my Current one)

and any Misc. Items I've not thought about or considered the the experts can tell me I need or will want to have.

I would also like to Note and Acknowledge Sites and individual Users that helped and shared their expertise

@Roman217
@Mpgrimm2
@Jimmy07

This forum and more specifically this thread:5th Gen 8.4 UAV Radio in a 4th Gen (And Possible Surround View) | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

and Info for 5th Gen trucks that provided a lot of insight to the workings of the Wiring Harness and BCM's: 8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement | 5thGenRams Forums

Wish me Luck :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
48PowerWagon

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now for My Questions Post

Are the Heated Seats/Wheel Physical buttons?

Should I look for a Switch Panel the Matches my PW?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
On the 12 UAX from the factory, they are only operated via the on screen menu... Sucks if there's a problem with the radio.

On the 5th gen 8.4 UAM and UAV the seat buttons are physically part of the 8.4 bezel.

Jimmy07's thread for reference here.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sooooo..... I've got a couple of the UAX displays sitting here at home now and had the other thread bookmarked to reference. Now that thread comes up as dead? Anyone know why?
5th Gen 8.4 UAV Radio in a 4th Gen (And Possible Surround View) | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Oh boy...I can’t find it either. Hopefully it’s not gone for good. I can start working on a new one that focuses on the 12” UAX instead of the UAV, or we can run with this one if @48PowerWagon doesn’t mind. We (Roman217, skuppy069, and myself) finally have surround view almost fully functional thanks to @Roman217. Our last hurdle is figuring out the mounting for the front camera, which I’m currently fiddling with.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hopefully @MADDOG, @quietpeen @Shaggy or one of the admins can restore it.
You'd think it's not 'gone' but this scenario happened 2x to the 8.4 upgrade thread and I had to rebuild it both times.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
Yeah. I thought it was kinda strange. I'm getting this error:

DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

That makes it seem like it is just blocked or something. I could still see it in the thread listings this morning, but the info was partially missing or gone.

OP
OP
48PowerWagon

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not at all I don't mind all I'm looking for now is a cheap empty Center console bezel (the one with the little ears on the bottom) to practice my cut and weld (or panel placement as they say) they are outrageously expensive

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not at all I don't mind all I'm looking for now is a cheap empty Center console bezel (the one with the little ears on the bottom) to practice my cut and weld (or panel placement as they say) they are outrageously expensive

Keep checking car-part and LKQ. They come up frequently enough and can be had for relatively cheap.

Oh boy...I can’t find it either. Hopefully it’s not gone for good. I can start working on a new one that focuses on the 12” UAX instead of the UAV, or we can run with this one if @48PowerWagon doesn’t mind. We (Roman217, skuppy069, and myself) finally have surround view almost fully functional thanks to @Roman217. Our last hurdle is figuring out the mounting for the front camera, which I’m currently fiddling with.

At least now we know surround view works as it should. Now we get the fun task of cutting into the front grille to add the camera. The rear camera can be made to fit into the tailgate handle but I will eventually swap in the 5th gen tailgate to have the camera be in the center.

EDIT: @48PowerWagon I would recommend going with a 2500/3500 CVPM as you can have the digital cargo camera there instead of the analog. Also, I am not sure how well the analog cargo camera plays along with surround view being enabled. Additionally, if you want the aux trailer cameras, they use the analog cargo camera pins.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Fonzi03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Do any of you have a 3d printer? I could design a bracket which would work in conjunction the the existing Ram head in the grill.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do any of you have a 3d printer? I could design a bracket which would work in conjunction the the existing Ram head in the grill.

I do have a 3d printer. I slowly started integrating a mount in the badge, pretty well in the forehead of the RAM head. I got a 3d file of the RAM badge from cgtrader. It is mostly okay but will need some tweaks to fully fit as some of the angles on the shape are a little off.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have had the 360 working for a week or so and man it’s awesome .
The trailer guidance is awesome.
Thanks to Roman in his programming and countless evenings getting it figured out and to Jimmy who initially got this mod Started .
Both you guys are awesome and so helpful .
I owe you guys each a case of beer .
Cheers

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the 360 working for a week or so and man it’s awesome .
The trailer guidance is awesome.
Thanks to Roman in his programming and countless evenings getting it figured out and to Jimmy who initially got this mod Started .
Both you guys are awesome and so helpful .
I owe you guys each a case of beer .
Cheers
Pics?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Fonzi03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have a 3d printer. I slowly started integrating a mount in the badge, pretty well in the forehead of the RAM head. I got a 3d file of the RAM badge from cgtrader. It is mostly okay but will need some tweaks to fully fit as some of the angles on the shape are a little off.

Nice, I'm in the process of figuring out if I. Going to build an Annex K3 or Voron 2.4, going for a large print bed though for bigger parts, probably 610*610*915.

Have you seen this? I think the maybe 1" off center would never be perceivable.
https://tailgatecamera.com/products/ram-front-emblem-camera

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn