Installing a body lift- never done any of my own work on a vehicle before

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have a zone 1.5" body lift that I may be installing some time in the future. At my fathers house I have access to air tools, all sorts of wrenches and sockets as well as cutting tools. Never done major work on a vehicle before due to time constraints but I think I want to try to install this body lift on my own. I do have good mechanical ability when I have time- rebuilt top ends on 4stroke dirtbikes in high school, installed cams in honda groms stuff like that
Some questions I have about the body lift:
Would it be feasible for me to finish the work on my own in a weekend? This is my only vehicle and I would be driving from south to central florida after work on a friday, work on the truck friday night/saturday/sunday and head back to south florida sunday night.
Are there any surprises that come with installing the zone 1.5" BL in terms of specialty tools needed?
Is it totally a 1 person job to install the lift? even when it comes to elevating the cab to install the new body mounts?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its such an easy Job you wont even have time to drink a 6 pack.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If we weren't talking about the way the cab is held to the frame I might take that as a challenge

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, it's easy and straight forward. Unhooking all the cables and sensors is tedious though.

Make sure you have long extensions. A couple of my bed mounts I had to double up on extensions to reach the bolt lol.

Took me a couple nights working on it by myself.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
easy job just time consuming .

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The job itself is pretty easy. It is time consuming though. I completed it in roughly 5 hours of worktime working by myself in my driveway

You will need:

Torque Wrench
Airtools are wonderful
Cutoff wheel
Long extensions with deep sockets. the first bed mount is way up there
A good rapid pump rolling jack will also help speed up the process
a couple good metal bits a step bit + a good drill
last but not least, Neck strength and beer :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The job itself is pretty easy. It is time consuming though. I completed it in roughly 5 hours of worktime working by myself in my driveway

You will need:

Torque Wrench
Airtools are wonderful
Cutoff wheel
Long extensions with deep sockets. the first bed mount is way up there
A good rapid pump rolling jack will also help speed up the process
a couple good metal bits a step bit + a good drill
last but not least, Neck strength and beer :Big Laugh:
Awesome! I have everything but the step bit so Ill have to pick that up
Thank you

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! I have everything but the step bit so Ill have to pick that up
Thank you
FYI the harbor freight step bit is well worth the money. I've got 1 from harbor freight, and now going on my 3rd from Milwaukee..... I paid maybe 5 bucks for the HF one and it never has a problem. The Milwaukee one keeps crapping out after maybe 2 drills.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you everyone for your help! I am beginning the process today!
I’m a pharmacy student on rotations right now so I can’t work all day on it but since this rotation is virtual I’ll be able to do a little bit here and there between assignments and after I’m done for the day. Shooting to be done by Saturday at the latest but hopefully taking the front bumper off was the longest part
9FFD0E3B-598C-4CD6-845A-50FCA92539BD.jpeg

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got everything finished up tonight except for relocating the rear bumper and the spare tire mount. Took me about 8 hours to do this much.. man oh man the bed was a PITA to get the lift blocks in and centered..

Edit:
Also Zones instructions are absolutely terrible

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thank you everyone for your help! I am beginning the process today!
I’m a pharmacy student on rotations right now so I can’t work all day on it but since this rotation is virtual I’ll be able to do a little bit here and there between assignments and after I’m done for the day. Shooting to be done by Saturday at the latest but hopefully taking the front bumper off was the longest part
View attachment 481849
At least you had 4 legged company they make everything go easier

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some steal your tools though. LOL
Soooooooooo where are the pictures?
Im out in the country and it got dark on me while I was working so no pics tonight... Ill have to get some uploaded tomorrow

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Im out in the country and it got dark on me while I was working so no pics tonight... Ill have to get some uploaded tomorrow
kewl im excited to see. How do you like it?

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
kewl im excited to see. How do you like it?
I think it looks great! Little paranoid that I missed something but I don't think I actually did.
I did realize looking back over the install instructions online just now that I torqued the body mounts to 100 instead of 65 ft-lb...dont know where i got 100 from..
Do I need to go back tomorrow and loosen and retorque to 65 before i drive anywhere?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I think it looks great! Little paranoid that I missed something but I don't think I actually did.
I did realize looking back over the install instructions online just now that I torqued the body mounts to 100 instead of 65 ft-lb...dont know where i got 100 from..
Do I need to go back tomorrow and loosen and retorque to 65 before i drive anywhere?
Yes Loosen and re torque. You do not want your bushings stressed they'll wear out quick.
Going back over them also allows you to do a once over on everything and settle your mind.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yes Loosen and re torque. You do not want your bushings stressed they'll wear out quick.
Going back over them also allows you to do a once over on everything and settle your mind.
I would go through all the instructions again and check off everything you needed to do ... that will guarantee you didn't miss anything ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Awesome for you being willing to jump in and give it a try. I learned a lot over the years from friends and family but nothing's the same as doing it on your own. I learned the rest just getting my hands dirty. Good job and can't wait to see the pics :Big Laugh:
Exactly, I love doing things myself, I say to myself, "dude if they can do it why can't I ?" .... most of the times of course we don't do stuff because we don't have the right tools, but I have learned that buying the tools is always a good thing to do and to have around .... I have made my money back on a few tools by using them to do the same work for others ...

Always fun to learn to do new things especially on your own vehicles ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye