installing a leer cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found a reasonably priced leer cap fairly local to me.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/d/caps-truck/6692755616.html
I wonder what I need to bring to install this thing. Do the later model caps have a rubber gasket built in?
Do I need to remove my rail caps?
The seller does not understand what I am asking for whatever reason.
I have a grey 2016. Seems like a match. Ish.
He says he was on 4 fasteners.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Mine just has 4 claps on it and my weather seal was not built into the topper.

And no you dont need to remove your bed rail caps.
:)

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a reasonably priced leer cap fairly local to me.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/d/caps-truck/6692755616.html
I wonder what I need to bring to install this thing. Do the later model caps have a rubber gasket built in?
Do I need to remove my rail caps?
The seller does not understand what I am asking for whatever reason.
I have a grey 2016. Seems like a match. Ish.
He says he was on 4 fasteners.

I had the exact same topper on my 2015 I would buy it as it’s a great deal. As far as what you need just buy a “camper shell” foam gasket that Home Depot or Lowe’s and I’m sure other stores sell for less than $5. You will only need to install it on the bottom “back” window closer to the Cab really easy the rest wont need and will be water free as this model shell over laps a little on the sides creating a seal.

In short it will be an easy install the seller should have the 4 clamps that will attach the topper to the bed rails of your truck. It should take less than 15 minutes to install it on your truck

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is a great deal. Even if you have to get it painted you’ll still be waaay ahead of buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a great deal. Even if you have to get it painted you’ll still be waaay ahead of buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is. It looks in good condition as well.
I bought mine of Craigslist as well here in town for $350 perfect condition but I did have to repaint it as it was dark blue and my truck was black. My friend shop painted it for $300 so all in was $650 still a great deal since new they are about $1500 if not more.

It was funny since the “seller” didn’t really know what he was selling I could’ve offered less and he probably would’ve said yes I just didn’t want to push it too low. he just said it was his fathers and he told him to sell it lol I just gave him the money and he helped me install it. I then later went for the keys since his dad was out of town when I went so at least I know it wasn’t stolen lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might think about getting a sliding front window installed. It sure makes cleaning the window a lot easier. Good deal on the shell. Leer is a good brand.
Jay

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think there is a part that goes on the top of the truck's tailgate or replaces the existing one.
P1000497.jpeg
I have the newer style Leer cap that the the tailgate cap is attached to the rear glass.
There is a purple/white wire near the spare tire that you use for the third brake light. If it doesn't have the power lock option, definitely worth adding as it will lock/unlock with the tailgate.

DG47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just sold my Leer cap and still have that same tailgate cap and the lip is in the way for the hard flat cover I purchased. It's held on by plastic rivets. Has anyone removed one of those and do I need to be concerned about breaking the rivets which seems to be unavoidable? Forgot to add, the tailgate cap is the same as one pictured in previous post. It's a 2016 RAM Quad cab with the 6'5" bed.

Superdaveil311

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just sold my Leer cap and still have that same tailgate cap and the lip is in the way for the hard flat cover I purchased. It's held on by plastic rivets. Has anyone removed one of those and do I need to be concerned about breaking the rivets which seems to be unavoidable? Forgot to add, the tailgate cap is the same as one pictured in previous post. It's a 2016 RAM Quad cab with the 6'5" bed.
Still have that cap? Want to sell it?