Insurance in New York. Am I overpaying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Had 61k miles when I set up this insurance.

I am using NYCM and I'm paying $895 for 6 months. Full coverage since I am financing.

This is with a perfect driving record and with the 10% defensive driving course discount.

I'm 30 years old and I'm the only person on this policy.

Any ideas on a lower cost insurance company I can go with?

I know there are different features and coverages, I can post a screenshot of necessary but I'm mainly looking to get a rough idea.

Thanks!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geico seems to be pretty pretty good
Geico is great until/unless you get a ticket, accident and then they will stick it to you. Try USAA if you are prior military, currently serving or have immediate family serving. I had them for ten years switched to Geico and then the ole lady got a speeding ticket and it nearly doubled so I went back to USAA and the rate was the same as before when I switched ticket and all.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hard to say, really... out here in Oregon, as a 50-yr-old married empty-nester with a perfect record, full coverage (at state minimums) costs me like $438 for the truck every six months ($72.85/mo). However, this includes discounts from having full coverage on my wife's fully paid-off 2012 Kia Soul (I'd have just went liability, but it's her baby, she demanded it, and paying $53/mo is fine if it keeps her from throwing a tantrum over the whole thing) and a discount for having the same agency cover my home insurance. I've been with State Farm for years on end now, and every time I go look and compare rates (once a year or so), nobody can really touch what I pay now. It's coming time to go look again, so...

BUT - the point is, there are a lot of variables out there. Examples: Discounts (courses, having a tattler plugged into your OBD port, etc), multi-car coverage, state-mandated insurance minimums, marital status, age, driving record, what city/county you live in (for statistical reasons), how much you make (fun irony - the higher your income, the lower your rates - at least that's been in my experience), credit rating (ditto - but know that some states prohibit using FICO scores to set rates), and whether your kids are on the policy or not (I used to pay nearly double when I had both kids still living at home and on my insurance, when both old enough to drive, etc... part of why I didn't mind having a cheapo minivan at the time.)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Where you live also is a significant factor in your rates.

The amount and number of damage claims, thefts, full loss claims, etc...also figure into the risk parameters used to determine rates.

I remember when my insurance increased one year and I had experienced no claims or tickets. I called my agent and was advised that losses and cost of damages had increased in my geographic area and as a result, risks were higher and rates went up to cover that risk.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I am using NYCM and I'm paying $895 for 6 months. Full coverage since I am financing.

This is with a perfect driving record and with the 10% defensive driving course discount.

I know there are different features and coverages, I can post a screenshot of necessary but I'm mainly looking to get a rough idea.

Thanks!

Get married have a couple of kids and get back to us in 16 years, that's when your butt hurts.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's close to what I pay here in North jersey. Shop around and see how prices compare.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Had 61k miles when I set up this insurance. I am using NYCM and I'm paying $895 for 6 months. Full coverage since I am financing. This is with a perfect driving record and with the 10% defensive driving course discount. I'm 30 years old and I'm the only person on this policy.
Any ideas on a lower cost insurance company I can go with? I know there are different features and coverages, I can post a screenshot of necessary but I'm mainly looking to get a rough idea. Thanks!

U gonna have to shop around your insurance exchange to see what U can do. Used to be better when U could get a 1 year policy. Seems like we get it stuck to us with only 6 month policies. Glad I have a 1 year policy on my MC.

All of the above comments relevant and add to where U R. Location, rates, credit, tickets, geographic area, etc etc etc, all plays into rates. I pay a lil less than U, but House, and all other stuff bundled in with discounts, and I carry Full Coverage on ne thing I drive, whether my purty truck or MY 06 Honda Trike.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just lowered my bill a bunch by going from Farmer's to Progressive. I was paying around 800 2X a year and am now paying about 450 2X a year. 47 yrs old, clean record, married.

As others have said, lots of other factors but I can tell you the rates between various companies can vary a lot.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

Thanks!

Seems a tad high there if you are single 30yr old and one vehicle. Start shopping around....

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m in California so you know I’m probably getting ripped off lol. I just paid my 6
Month policy and it was almost 1200. So a hair under 200. Full coverage on both vehicles. No accidents, nothing. Multiple car and driver discounts as well as good driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Geico is great until/unless you get a ticket, accident and then they will stick it to you. Try USAA if you are prior military, currently serving or have immediate family serving. I had them for ten years switched to Geico and then the ole lady got a speeding ticket and it nearly doubled so I went back to USAA and the rate was the same as before when I switched ticket and all.

had my two harleys with geico for many years but now everything we have is with usaa. 2 bikes/travel trailer/ two vehicles/house/IRA's/investsments..rates seem about the same as everyone else as most items in the bill are regulated by the state but their customer service has been great the couple times we had to make a claim. got a free 1000$ coupon from usaa to use when I bought my ram truck.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pay $136 a month for my wifes 2018 Cherokee and my 2019 RAM through Geico. Full coverage on both. Rental coverage, Mechanical breakdown coverage etc....

My wife has two speeding tickets and a seat belt ticket. I have an uninsured motorist claim from a year and a half ago as well. Our rate has stayed the same except for when it actually went down 6 months after I turned 25.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I’ve tried USAA every time my policy is up and they’ve never been able to touch GEICO. I’ve had more claims on GEICO than I’d like to admit (just filed another today after hitting a deer last Monday night), mostly no-fault, and a few tickets over the years. I have my ‘13 Cummins, Wife’s ‘16 Mitsubishi Outlander, an ‘08 Harley Heritage and an ‘07 35’ Crossroads Cruiser fifth wheel camper (full coverage for all at max allowances) and pay less than what the OP quoted. And I live in NY.

I guess my point is everyone’s experiences are different and you can’t compare one persons experience with auto insurance with another’s. All anyone can do is throw a company name at you and the rest is on you to call and get a quote. I go through the motions every 6 months and end up right back with GEICO. I did switch a few times over the last decade or so, but ended up back with GEICO after 6 more months.