Intense Rumble at 65 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not having any luck with a new 2021 1500 Limited I just purchased. I only have around 250 miles on it and so far, there are two paint defects, the suspension creaks loudly, both lower rear speakers are bad, and it shudders when coming to a stop. The latest problem I only just discovered when I first drove it on the highway a couple of days ago.

At speeds 65 mph and above, there is an intense, very loud rumbling noise, similar to what you sometimes hear when you open a sunroof or rear window and create a buffeting sound, only worse. However, no windows are open. There is no rumbling at all up until 65 mph, and the interior is very quiet. But once it hits 65 and above, all hell breaks loose and it sounds so loud it's alarming. My passengers were covering their ears.

At first, I thought the wheels might be out of balance, but it drives very smoothly with no noticeable mechanical vibrations. It appears to be just noise without any apparent accompanying mechanical problem. I've never experienced anything like it.

Has anyone heard of this before? Any clues as to what it is? I would appreciate any insight on this.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
So it is not in the brakes or steering...

I wonder if it is those anti-vibration Whatchamacalitz

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Active noise cancellation gone haywire?

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Active noise cancellation gone haywire?
That's what I'm thinking, but I never heard of such a thing happening before. This truck seems to have unusual problems that no one else seems to have like the creaking suspension as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone knew for sure from a similar situation.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is it missing the air spoiler in the front under the Truck? I know the wife's Jeep Cherokee has one and plastic covers most of the front underside to noise and better air flow.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a 2021 and they still have same issues as a 19. That’s crazy.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it missing the air spoiler in the front under the Truck? I know the wife's Jeep Cherokee has one and plastic covers most of the front underside to noise and better air flow.
No, it has an air spoiler.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thumping yes. It’s the anc which should have a software update for it. If they didn’t update the software from factory that’s terrible.
The stopping shudder is also probably a software update. Unless you have etorque it could be that.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thumping yes. It’s the anc which should have a software update for it. If they didn’t update the software from factory that’s terrible.
The stopping shudder is also probably a software update. Unless you have etorque it could be that.
So, it's caused by an ANC malfunction?

That was my first guess because there was no apparent mechanical malfunction. It's ironic that a system designed to reduce cabin noise can backfire so badly and end up creating noise. I'm also guessing that it probably has the latest software upgrades, so perhaps the ANC malfunction is caused by something else. The lower rear speakers are both bad (one dead, the other is distorting) so maybe that has something to do with it.

I do have eTorque and I did suspect that as a cause for the shudder issue when stopping due to the regeneration. However, I was hoping someone could confirm that as I'm only making a guess.

Any additional info on either problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
How did none of this show up in the test drive?

The ANC in my 2500 was unplugged by my service guy. He said I’d thank him later...

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m glad to have a limited option 14 express , this truck has to much computer driven things as is ,for me.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did none of this show up in the test drive?

The ANC in my 2500 was unplugged by my service guy. He said I’d thank him later...

My truck was not on the lot when I first test drove the 1500. The truck I drove had no such issues.

When mine arrived, I went for another test drive, however, the highway is quite far away so I couldn't get it over 65 mph. It was fine up to 60 mph so I didn't think going any faster was necessary at the time. I was wrong.

The other issues are more subtle and I simply failed to notice them initially, which I now regret. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have a thread over in general, same "shaking issue" Mine is a 2020 Limited. Only lasts for a few minutes at first moving.

ANC is through the stereo and there is also the Motors that do anti-vibration. I think mine is the anti-vibration motors.

This guy shows the 5 goofy RAM features...

Top 5 Hidden Features of the 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport - YouTube

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My truck was not on the lot when I first test drove the 1500. The truck I drove had no such issues.

When mine arrived, I went for another test drive, however, the highway is quite far away so I couldn't get it over 65 mph. It was fine up to 60 mph so I didn't think going any faster was necessary at the time. I was wrong.

The other issues are more subtle and I simply failed to notice them initially, which I now regret. Live and learn.

Makes sense.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else has this problem and finds this thread. The dealer found the problem. The attachment bolts to the driveshaft were loose from the factory. The dealer properly torqued them and now the problem is 100% resolved. It also resolved several other problems I was experiencing which I thought were unrelated such as a creaking sound at low speeds and a shuddering when coming to a stop.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was it the "U" Bolts that attach it to the rear end Pinion flange, and it didn't damage the U Joint?

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was it the "U" Bolts that attach it to the rear end Pinion flange, and it didn't damage the U Joint?
They didn't go into that level of detail, but they did specifically state that they very carefully checked for subsequent damage.

Nein1one

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else has this problem and finds this thread. The dealer found the problem. The attachment bolts to the driveshaft were loose from the factory. The dealer properly torqued them and now the problem is 100% resolved. It also resolved several other problems I was experiencing which I thought were unrelated such as a creaking sound at low speeds and a shuddering when coming to a stop.
Could you describe a little more what you mean when you say "shuddering when you come to a stop"? I just got a 2021 Ram 1500 Etorque and notice that when I am slowing down and get to around 15ish miles an hour while breaking it does a weird shudder but only for a second. I assumed it was the regenerative braking but now I am wondering if that is not normal with an Etorque...

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you describe a little more what you mean when you say "shuddering when you come to a stop"? I just got a 2021 Ram 1500 Etorque and notice that when I am slowing down and get to around 15ish miles an hour while breaking it does a weird shudder but only for a second. I assumed it was the regenerative braking but now I am wondering if that is not normal with an Etorque...
Yes, it was as you describe except that it did it just before braking and continued after braking . I too thought it was the regenerative braking but after they found and fixed the loose driveshaft bolts, I can't perceive it anymore.

If yours shudders only while braking, also suspect the brake rotors.