Interested in PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m looking to get a ‘19+ PW. But would like to know more about the truck. I’ve been browsing the forum and reading a bit and haven’t seen any huge issues with the PW’s. I don’t tow/haul much weight so that’s not an issue for me. I’m off road a good amount but no rock climbing or any of that nature. My main concern is the engine and transmission. Major pros/cons regarding those areas basically.

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's not to Love - Honestly if I could swing the numbers my '15 would be a 75th Anniversary Edition, the 6.4 is tried an true and now backs an 8 speed, all the Tech and all around usefulness just makes this rig the best trim all around. Got something to tow, go do it, want to camp? camp, go overlanding? guess what, you can. I recently saw a motor rag write that the TRX was possibly the Best versatile Off Road Truck made to date, I don't think they drove a PW. Front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, factory Warn winch, No other Trim (yes I include the Tradesman w/ PW Option) has that.

This is just my bias opinion

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an incoming ‘21 power wagon. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about the hemi lifter/cam issue. It’s gotta be the most prominently documented problem of any modern truck.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 8 Speed transmission is what got me into Ram's. My first "Ram" was actually a 2014 Dodge Durango with the V6. That 8 speed is amazing.

That V6 was my work vehicle bought by my employer. I loved it so much that I bought a 2015 Durango R/T for my personal vehicle. I fell in love
with the Hemi/8 Speed combo.

Fast forward to 2017....moved to a 2017 Ram Rebel. This truck has been absolutely perfect. Hemi/8 Speed combo again and I've traveled all over the
US with this thing. 51,000 miles so far.

Fast forward again to the late fall of 2020. Ram announces the 75th Anniversary Power Wagon. I could not pass it up. I love rarer runs of great
vehicles. I owned (3) Ford Taurus SHO's in the 90's and then for 10 years I owned a 2004 Mercury Marauder. I had it Supercharged and it was pulling
450hp to the rear wheels. They only made 3000 of those in 2004 and mine was only one of 997 silver ones.

I ordered my 75A PW in late January and am awaiting it's delivery. I can't wait!

This is my personal opinion: Get a PW now...or in a year or two. Within 10 years I'm guessing the majority of vehicles will be electric...and this could
be your last chance to own a gas powered truck.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
The ‘19 model year had a lot of electrical issues since it’s the first year with the 8 speed trans. As for the hemi tick issue that’s mostly for those who idle the truck more than they drive. Roadside service and first responders.

My ex works for a dodge dealer in parts for the past 8 years and cautioned about the ‘19 model year and explained the whole tick issue.

I have an ‘18 power wagon and have never had an issue from anything factory on the truck. Check out my thread if you would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Engine and transmission are exactly the same as any other Ram 2500 truck gas powered truck. Powertrain wise the Power Wagon is just a regular old 2500 with different springs and shocks, locking differentials, and swaybar connect.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only have 6500 miles on my 2020 that I bought new in August 2020. I gotta admit the engine sounds are not confidence inspiring (I do not idle mine as it is garage kept). I know the sounds are considered normal but still sounds like a manifold leak or exhaust leak or like someone released a box of crickets in the engine bay.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My 2015 had zero engine/transmission issues. Clocked 65K on it before selling. No odd engine noises, and I let the MDS run as designed. My 2021 only has 5K on it, and all is well so far just like the 15. The 8 speed teamed up with the 6.4 is a perfect match.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate all the replies. Besides the engine/transmission, what’s up with the lockers? Seems like some are having issues right out the dealership. And some have none at all. Sorry, if nitpicking. It’s a big purchase for me.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have 6500 miles on my 2020 that I bought new in August 2020. I gotta admit the engine sounds are not confidence inspiring (I do not idle mine as it is garage kept). I know the sounds are considered normal but still sounds like a manifold leak or exhaust leak or like someone released a box of crickets in the engine bay.
Is it that bad? And is that normal?

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 8 Speed transmission is what got me into Ram's. My first "Ram" was actually a 2014 Dodge Durango with the V6. That 8 speed is amazing.

That V6 was my work vehicle bought by my employer. I loved it so much that I bought a 2015 Durango R/T for my personal vehicle. I fell in love
with the Hemi/8 Speed combo.

Fast forward to 2017....moved to a 2017 Ram Rebel. This truck has been absolutely perfect. Hemi/8 Speed combo again and I've traveled all over the
US with this thing. 51,000 miles so far.

Fast forward again to the late fall of 2020. Ram announces the 75th Anniversary Power Wagon. I could not pass it up. I love rarer runs of great
vehicles. I owned (3) Ford Taurus SHO's in the 90's and then for 10 years I owned a 2004 Mercury Marauder. I had it Supercharged and it was pulling
450hp to the rear wheels. They only made 3000 of those in 2004 and mine was only one of 997 silver ones.

I ordered my 75A PW in late January and am awaiting it's delivery. I can't wait!

This is my personal opinion: Get a PW now...or in a year or two. Within 10 years I'm guessing the majority of vehicles will be electric...and this could
be your last chance to own a gas powered truck.
Do you have an eta as to when you’ll take delivery? Is it just the 75A, or all ‘21 taking a while?

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Appreciate all the replies. Besides the engine/transmission, what’s up with the lockers? Seems like some are having issues right out the dealership. And some have none at all. Sorry, if nitpicking. It’s a big purchase for me.
Not nitpicking at all! These are expensive trucks, and I applaud you for asking as many questions before deciding if it's the right truck for you.

I did have a rear locker issue right out of the gate.....turned out to be a bad connector at the rear diff (where the harness plugs into the rear pumpkin). Dealer fixed the connector in one day. My 2015 had no issues with any of the Power Wagon specific kit.

From my perspective, the diffs require a bit more maintenance than most might be accustomed to. When I say this, I mean dropping fluid every 15-20K miles and cleaning the magnets on the locking mechanism. However, this probably can be extended after the first cleaning as most of the break in metal from the pinion and ring will have been flushed out.

Another point.....take the truck out and exercise the lockers, transfer case and sway bar on a regular basis. Even if your truck is going to be a street queen, find a dirt road from time to time and engage everything on and off for multiple cycles.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not nitpicking at all! These are expensive trucks, and I applaud you for asking as many questions before deciding if it's the right truck for you.

I did have a rear locker issue right out of the gate.....turned out to be a bad connector at the rear diff (where the harness plugs into the rear pumpkin). Dealer fixed the connector in one day. My 2015 had no issues with any of the Power Wagon specific kit.

From my perspective, the diffs require a bit more maintenance than most might be accustomed to. When I say this, I mean dropping fluid every 15-20K miles and cleaning the magnets on the locking mechanism. However, this probably can be extended after the first cleaning as most of the break in metal from the pinion and ring will have been flushed out.

Another point.....take the truck out and exercise the lockers, transfer case and sway bar on a regular basis. Even if your truck is going to be a street queen, find a dirt road from time to time and engage everything on and off for multiple cycles.
Thanks! PW is my top choice right now. After that, it’s the Tundra Pro. But I’m 90% on the PW train because it’s fully loaded with all my needs out the factory. I still have some time so we’ll see what my research leads.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got a 2021 PW on order. Have had three Ram 1500s with Hemi's (2010, 2014, 2019) all had some substantial Hemi ticking after a few miles (1000-5000) and the dealer replaced the manifold gaskets on all of them and solved my ticks. So it was never a big deal for me and easy to fix under warranty. The Hemi will always talk to you, so you get use to the sounds. With the 6.4 I will reduce my idle time based on what I am hearing. But even then, it's a low percentage with lifter issues and I'm sure you'll find low percentage issue failures with any engine. I can't wait for my PW!!!

FlameThrower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
Hemi 6..4:L
The Tundra Pro while a nice truck does not compare with the PW, more with the Rebel. The Tundra Pro has no lockers or sway bar disconnect. It just has the badges, upgraded wheels, stitching on the seats, and TRD exhaust. The 5.7 in the Tundra is reliable but can have the cam tower leaks (google search Tundra cam tower leak). I have only had my PW for 3 months but I haven't had any issues. I was a long time Toyota fan and love my PW.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it that bad? And is that normal?
according to the dealer it is normal and every new 6.4L on their lot sounded exactly the same way. I test drove 4 different ones all new all sounded the same. I only notice it when I have my window down or when I am outside the rig with it running.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Tundra Pro while a nice truck does not compare with the PW, more with the Rebel. The Tundra Pro has no lockers or sway bar disconnect. It just has the badges, upgraded wheels, stitching on the seats, and TRD exhaust. The 5.7 in the Tundra is reliable but can have the cam tower leaks (google search Tundra cam tower leak). I have only had my PW for 3 months but I haven't had any issues. I was a long time Toyota fan and love my PW.
Yup. That along with some fox suspension. Coming from a ‘16 Sr5 crewmax myself.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2021 PW on order. Have had three Ram 1500s with Hemi's (2010, 2014, 2019) all had some substantial Hemi ticking after a few miles (1000-5000) and the dealer replaced the manifold gaskets on all of them and solved my ticks. So it was never a big deal for me and easy to fix under warranty. The Hemi will always talk to you, so you get use to the sounds. With the 6.4 I will reduce my idle time based on what I am hearing. But even then, it's a low percentage with lifter issues and I'm sure you'll find low percentage issue failures with any engine. I can't wait for my PW!!!
How much if you don’t mind me asking?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen a few posts about people having issues with lockers, and without going back and searching those there are probably multiples posts from the same person. Point being is that out of hundreds and thousands of these vehicles you only have handful of issues, and out of those handful I always wonder how many are truly legitimate failures and not operator error. It's always like that on the internet as you lose perspective. We may have 20 customer complaints a day at my job and to an outsider it looks like it's a terrible company, but then you realize that those 20 complaints account for only 0.04% of the product we make. While 0.04% may be bad that also means 99.96% is good....but you don't hear about the good stuff.