Interested in PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Get A GOOD warranty! Ram 2015, 2500 6.4 blew Tranny at less then 50k and blew motor at 80k Roller lifters snap off and bounce off EVERYTHING on way down to pan. Always, no matter WHAT you hear/read use the recommended oil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 oil. Make sure it’s NOT the euro version and has currently Meets Chrysler’s standard MS-12633. The newer pennzoil oil will state on back of bottle MS-A0912 . Now after Jan or Feb of this year MS-A0912 spec supersedes MS-12633. Thus your warranty will NOT be voided for using it written to me straight from Shell (which owns pennzoil) & FCA. As far as warranty and blown motor the FIRST THING dealer does is set up appt for FCA to remove and oil sample. Proper oil they pay. Not proper spec oil WARRANTY VOID!

Excellent advice. The Pennzoil 0W40 meeting MS-A0912 also carries the new API SP approval.

I used to work for Shell, and I can confirm that FCA worked closely with Shell in developing the 0W40 Ultra Platinum for SRT engines (6.2 FI and 6.4 NA). This is the only OEM approval this oil carries. They do have a different 0W40 Euro oil that meets a great deal of other OEM approvals, but is also formulated with a different additive package.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get A GOOD warranty! Ram 2015, 2500 6.4 blew Tranny at less then 50k and blew motor at 80k Roller lifters snap off and bounce off EVERYTHING on way down to pan. Always, no matter WHAT you hear/read use the recommended oil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 oil. Make sure it’s NOT the euro version and has currently Meets Chrysler’s standard MS-12633. The newer pennzoil oil will state on back of bottle MS-A0912 . Now after Jan or Feb of this year MS-A0912 spec supersedes MS-12633. Thus your warranty will NOT be voided for using it written to me straight from Shell (which owns pennzoil) & FCA. As far as warranty and blown motor the FIRST THING dealer does is set up appt for FCA to remove and oil sample. Proper oil they pay. Not proper spec oil WARRANTY VOID!
Sorry but what would you consider a good warranty?

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent advice. The Pennzoil 0W40 meeting MS-A0912 also carries the new API SP approval.

I used to work for Shell, and I can confirm that FCA worked closely with Shell in developing the 0W40 Ultra Platinum for SRT engines (6.2 FI and 6.4 NA). This is the only OEM approval this oil carries. They do have a different 0W40 Euro oil that meets a great deal of other OEM approvals, but is also formulated with a different additive package.

My 2020 had the cold start tick with the OEM Mopar filter and OEM PUP oil. Changed to Amsoil SS 0w40 and a Wix XP filter. Haven’t heard a tick under any conditions since.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My 2020 had the cold start tick with the OEM Mopar filter and OEM PUP oil. Changed to Amsoil SS 0w40 and a Wix XP filter. Haven’t heard a tick under any conditions since.
My 2015 and 2021 never ticked.....so I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Probably just jinxed myself....

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
they must have upgraded the locker control after 15

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 12 is 5.7, without mds of course so no lifter issue after 72k+ miles. 6 speed trans and no issues there either. I’ll keep mine over the newer 6.4 due to them dropping the gearing to 4:10. My 4.56’s turn the 37’s easily and the ride is like a 67’ Caddy. Lol, almost.
So far as the having to to the “Locker Dance” with the diff’s. I haven’t put the truck into a situation that I needed to lock up because it’s always able to dog it’s way over, around and through in 4hi. Even 4low is a rarity. It’s a big Heavy Beast that tracks like an Abrams tank off road.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2015 and 2021 never ticked.....so I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Probably just jinxed myself....

mine dont tick . pup and wix has been working great for me since day 1. my opinion why they tick at start is because the filter allows the oil to drain out of the top end. ive seen the tick on other engines as well if the oil drains back

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 12 is 5.7, without mds of course so no lifter issue after 72k+ miles. 6 speed trans and no issues there either. I’ll keep mine over the newer 6.4 due to them dropping the gearing to 4:10. My 4.56’s turn the 37’s easily and the ride is like a 67’ Caddy. Lol, almost.
So far as the having to to the “Locker Dance” with the diff’s. I haven’t put the truck into a situation that I needed to lock up because it’s always able to dog it’s way over, around and through in 4hi. Even 4low is a rarity. It’s a big Heavy Beast that tracks like an Abrams tank off road.

I’ve had to do that dance cause I exercise my lockers every now and then. I need to regear because it hunts for 6th gear when on slight inclines doing 70. I’m on 37x20 and still trying to figure out what ratio to go with. Some have said 5.13 but that seems extreme no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had to do that dance cause I exercise my lockers every now and then. I need to regear because it hunts for 6th gear when on slight inclines doing 70. I’m on 37x20 and still trying to figure out what ratio to go with. Some have said 5.13 but that seems extreme no?

Nope. I would go 5:13 even with 35’s.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
You have an 8 speed trans...that is a night and day difference. Completely different animal. The 6 speed gearing is completely fawked.

Yeah sadly if I waited and got the 19 with an 8 speed I’d be ok. If they didn’t redesign the dash for the shifter knob I’d consider a swap, but then I’d be plagued by the shifter knob being mistaken for the volume knob hahahah

I like the 6 speed but wish I could change the shift point for the 5-6 gear. If I could make it different, the truck would be fine staying in 6th until rpms dropped down past 1500 for the slight hill issues that cause it to downshift too soon.

Last edited:

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah sadly if I waited and got the 19 with an 8 speed I’d be ok. If they didn’t redesign the dash for the shifter knob I’d consider a swap, but then I’d be plagued by the shifter knob being mistaken for the volume knob hahahah

I like the 6 speed but wish I could change the shift point for the 5-6 gear. If I could make it different, the truck would be fine staying in 6th until rpms dropped down past 1500 for the slight hill issues that cause it to downshift too soon.

You know how many times I stopped the radio instead of putting it in park :Pshyco:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahahahaha.

i find myself turning the radio up and down in my power wagon (6 speed) when i want to shift because im so used to driving my work truck (half ton with 8 speed).

honestly, i prefer the twist knob.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Effectively your pushing those 37’s with about a 3.55 gear ratio from the factory 4.10’s. Give or take a few depending on true tire diameter at inflation rates wheel widths and tread wear. All those come into play and the only thing that won’t come into play is wheel diameter because a 37” inch tall tire on a 17” Wheel is still a 37” inch tall tire on a 20” wheel.
You can do a 5.13 or anything you’d like but here’s some simple math My 12 has 4.56’s factory with my 37’s on a 17x9 I’m down to about a 4.08 given of course the above mentioned parameter’s of tire size differences in the tire wear, rim width etc. with that being said you would need about a 4.60 gear ratio give or take to get back close to specs. So a 4.56 would work fine for you if that’s what you’re asking.

SteelCtyFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of my trucks are Rams and have been for several years. I’ve had countless 5.7s(I get a new work truck every 3 years), I went with a 2018 2500 with a 6.4 and it made all the sounds that didn’t sound right, but the dealership said was fine. The engine blew with 6000 miles on it. I had to get a lawyer, but Ram bout it back under the lemon law (my lawyer said that the 6.4 Ram has the highest failure rate of any of the big three trucks). I’m not here to hate, I turned around and bought a 6.7 3500 2 months later. On the other hand, he said the 5.7 is right there with the Ford 5.0 as the most reliable. Again, I’m not hating, just my one experience and it wasn’t enough to move me off Ram, just maybe the 6.4.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of my trucks are Rams and have been for several years. I’ve had countless 5.7s(I get a new work truck every 3 years), I went with a 2018 2500 with a 6.4 and it made all the sounds that didn’t sound right, but the dealership said was fine. The engine blew with 6000 miles on it. I had to get a lawyer, but Ram bout it back under the lemon law (my lawyer said that the 6.4 Ram has the highest failure rate of any of the big three trucks). I’m not here to hate, I turned around and bought a 6.7 3500 2 months later. On the other hand, he said the 5.7 is right there with the Ford 5.0 as the most reliable. Again, I’m not hating, just my one experience and it wasn’t enough to move me off Ram, just maybe the 6.4.
Wow! 6000 miles only... that’s crazy.