Interesting diagnosis...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notatuta0xff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 ram 1500 Laramie
200,000 miles

P0753 DTC TROUBLE CODES

46RE transmission

Checked for continuity from PCM connector to transmission connector for overdrive/3-4 shift solenoid. Checked solenoid continuity and internal resistance. Solenoid pack is also new (all 3 TCC, overdrive/3-4, and governor pressure)
old solenoids also checked out upon testing. (Duh, should of probed them first)

No other codes

Physical symptoms are lack of speed and power. I can feel 1-2 shift(feels like it but meh)
Overheating
Upon reaching operating temperature symptoms increase. (Makes me think TCC but it's new, no code, and internal resistance checked out.)

Next I'll be probing the transmission speed sensors and other random components. But since not throwing DTC codes that's prolly not it.

Old fluid had a good amount of metal dust in fluid and on magnet. New fluid and filter.
No chunks though.
Maybe torque converter but pulling transmission solo without proper tools I'm trying to avoid.

It has me stumped. The circuit is working all the way to the PCM. Some random site said it triggers from the PCM expected gear not matching actual gear?!? Digging through the OBD2 DTC standards to confirm this.

I have the service manual and a few technical spec documents for the transmission.

Might have to do the air pressure clutch band diagnosis procedure. Presents a slight problem for me.
Other than that is there any way to confirm it's a clutch issue?
Any other ideas?

Also getting tappet sound from the same spot has a head gasket oil leak(pretty sure that's where it's coming from) hydraulic tappets. Figure they're connected.
Sounds like exhaust related since continues after engine turned off.
Sounds like ticking or clicking. Not combustion ping.
Compression test checked out ok. Not perfectly equal but within 15 of 165 baseline on all cylinders.

Ideas?

Or

Anyone looking for a project?