Interesting FOB issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L v8 Hemi. This afternoon I did some interior detailing. Cleaning and polishing dashboard and door areas with Meguiars. Used brushes everywhere and cleaned up with micrfober towels. I went to lock the doors and nothing happened. Tried opening locks and nothing happened. They worked if I pushed the buttons on the door. After a minutes I got it to unlock only. I put the FOB down for about an hour. Tried again. Unlocks but does not lock. I changed the battery to a fresh battery. Same thing. Will not lock but will unlock. Any thoughts? I am thinking it is possible some of the cleaning liquid may have gotten into the door are where the power windows and locks are. Any thoughts on possibilities?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Oh man! ..... I am going to say this and hopefully I do not hurt "ANYONE'S" feelings ...

People think that spraying the FAWK outtah the doors and using brushes like the detailers on tiktok and youtube is what "Needs" to be done to properly clean "detail" the interior of vehicles and that is so not true!

You probably did get something in there wet and after it dries it "SHOULD" be ok ... I personally know up and coming detailers in the area that have messaged me about how they "think" they messed up a customers vehicle by doing just this...best thing to do when detailing interiors is not spray the doors directly and instead using either compressed air to get those tight spots cleaned and "THEN" you hit it with a damp cloth of your choice to clean it all up ...

And please please please, do not use steamers on the clusters, or any of the controls lol ... steam can really cook those connections in there believe it or not ....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Spray the cleaner onto the cloth was the way i was told
Just like you would do with household electronics

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
I do not nor did I spray anything on the surfaces. I sprayed into the brush heads. Albeit it is possible it could have been a little over saturated. I did try the FOB the next day and it sill was not working. So if we look beyond that what are some other possibilities?

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
I did buy an aftermarket FOB but I have not had it tried to be programmed yet. In a panic I did purchase a factory OEM FOB from carandtruckremotes.com or whatever the website is. I am told an aftermarket FOB has a 50/50 chance of being able to be programmed. And I was told by the dealer if the programming does not work then I still have to pay. Hence my purchasing an OEM FOB to increase my chances.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I did buy an aftermarket FOB but I have not had it tried to be programmed yet. In a panic I did purchase a factory OEM FOB from carandtruckremotes.com or whatever the website is. I am told an aftermarket FOB has a 50/50 chance of being able to be programmed. And I was told by the dealer if the programming does not work then I still have to pay. Hence my purchasing an OEM FOB to increase my chances.
Correct all round, except the Cinese knock offs only program about 20% of the time. Many dealers and locksmiths refuse to even try because despite warning clients, they are still really ***'d off having to pay 50 bucks for programming that didn't work when they only saved 30 bucks buying the cheap fob.

OP
OP
Iceman6409

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Hopefully if the new FOB can get programmed I will get all capabilities back. I tend to think I might be missing one of the little tiny contacts inside the FOB. I remember when I opened it I only saw two little circles. The bottom two, which tells me that would be the panic button and the open locks. The third one should be for unlock. However I have no clue where the unlockk contact is.

arleetrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Speaking of the little contacts in the FOB. Where
can they be purchased ? When I opened up my FOB to clean i found 2 of them turned black.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Speaking of the little contacts in the FOB. Where
can they be purchased ? When I opened up my FOB to clean i found 2 of them turned black.
Clean them with 600 grit sandpaper and alcohol. If that doesn't work buy one of the $12 Chinese knock offs, use the case, put your guts in it. Their guts never work but it is the cheapest replacement case you will ever find.

arleetrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
( Speaking of the little contacts in the FOB. Where
can they be purchased ? When I opened up my FOB to clean i found 2 of them turned black. ) What do I use to keep the contacts in place?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel