Interesting gadget, substitute for old school brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I wouldn't want to have to reach for my phone if I need to use the manual brake lever on the brake controller while driving.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's pretty interesting. I'm not sure the cost, the link doesn't work. But, I always adjusted the brake before getting going, so I think that you wouldn't need to use your phone anymore after setting it up.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
While it seems strange that a newer vehicle could be sold with a 7 pin trailer connector and no built in brake controller it is apparently not uncommon. For those situations I can see where this product would come in handy. While this leaves the dash uncluttered by an aftermarket controller, I prefer to have a mechanical emergency switch. For $300 the RAM dealer should get one to troubleshoot brake control complaints to prove or dis-prove that the factory controller is really working :)

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
don't try to use the hands free mode with this device as soon as you hit the brakes it cuts the call off, going with the oem as soon as i can get time , pray for me and my mopar ! THE KURT wireless worked rather well when pulling my 7200# camper smoothing stopping every time and as long as you have the app running its just like pushing the button on the dash !

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
As I see it, in my opinion, most of the "trucks" made today are for hauling golf clubs, groceries, or potted plants. They have all the visual accessories to make people think they have some awesome vehicle with amazing power and abilities. Like installing a 7-way connector on the rear of the truck and not installing a controller in the dash. That is fscking stupid...

For a couple of impromptu trips, I used one of these inline brake adapters on my old '98 RAM 2500 and surprisingly it worked well. I wouldn't discount this as being just another gimmick device and would use one again if needed. But the difference between it and when I installed the Mopar brake controller... Night and day. Better adjust-ability, better "feel" of the braking, and the manual brake slider...

If you're going to pull a trailer with brakes, install an OEM controller. In the long run, you'll be much happier that you did.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pass, at least until it's been on the market for ten plus years..
Agreed, for me to trust something like that I would need to see a proven track record. For now I'll stick with my P3.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I see it, in my opinion, most of the "trucks" made today are for hauling golf clubs, groceries, or potted plants. They have all the visual accessories to make people think they have some awesome vehicle with amazing power and abilities. Like installing a 7-way connector on the rear of the truck and not installing a controller in the dash. That is fscking stupid...

If you're going to pull a trailer with brakes, install an OEM controller. In the long run, you'll be much happier that you did.

I bought a used 2014 Laramie that has a 7 pin and a whole bunch of options, but not the ITBM. This is part of the problem with American trucks. Uninformed buyers can spec a truck that makes no sense. Fortunately for me the ITBM is easy to install and only $140 + flash.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As said, biggest issue for me is no emergency manual lever handy in case your trailer starts swaying. If that happens, will you have the ability to grab or reach your phone and figure out how to apply maximum trailer brakes while at the same time keep your rig straight and on the road?

I think it would be very difficult in my experience. Stuff happens fast. Give me an old school manual lever that I know where its ,located and can get to it quickly...but that's just me