Interesting observation from my Gen2 Mechanic today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I've been going to this particular mechanic since the late 1990's for work on my Gen2 that I wasn't inclined to do myself so I trust him. He's one of those that won't charge you anything if he can't find anything wrong. I still drive my 1998 5.9 quad cab as a daily driver and had a problem with the AC (finally after 23 years). While we were talking about good trucks and how long I've had mine he said two things that I thought would be interesting to people here on the Ram Forums. One is good, and the other is not so good.

1. Most all the Gen 4's he sees that have engine issues, are the 5.7 hemi, and it's almost always the cam and lifter failures. And they are pretty much all at less than 200,000 miles. He also observed that the engine replacements from Jasper have revised cam and roller oiling. He didn't elaborate and I didn't ask. But I would think that this would bear some investigation for those with the 5.7 hemi looking for an engine replacement. I've attached a screen shot from the Jasper engines website on the oiling improvement.

2. The good news? He said that he hasn't ever had to work on a 3.6 pentastar 6 cylinder gen 4 for engine failure. He thinks the 6 is pretty reliable. That's very nice to hear from my mechanic!

JasperHemiOilingJPG.JPG

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had quite a issue issues with my Challenger(hemi) and yeah, was typically engine related issues. Thankfully I didn’t have the timing chain issue many had..

Only problem I’ve had with my RAM is I can’t fill a ******* tank without the gas pump popping every 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had quite a issue issues with my Challenger(hemi) and yeah, was typically engine related issues. Thankfully I didn’t have the timing chain issue many had..

Only problem I’ve had with my RAM is I can’t fill a ******* tank without the gas pump popping every 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are having trouble filling the tank there are only a few things that can be causing the issue. The fuel tank vent could be blocked. There could be a restriction EVAP system on the tank or the MFCV or the Multi Function Control Valve has failed. On some models the MFCV is part of the fuel pump and on others it is part of the fuel tank.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've driven a few V6's in a comparable truck to mine.I'll take my chances with the Hemi.

olscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
My buddy is a the lead mechanic at an independent shop. As such he gets most of the heavy work such as cams, timing chains, etc. He's had a couple of Pentastars with cam/lifter failure similar to the Hemi, but has seen way more Hemis. Biggest problem he sees with the Pentastar is the oil filter housing.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been driving my 3rd gen 5.7 hemi for 7-8 years now and have had zero issues or the dreaded "tick" you hear about so commonly.
I count my blessings, as I know this is an inherent issues with the 4th gens too, so I hear?
Oh yeah, the dreaded rear end issues I've heard so much about from people that DON'T own a Ram? I've been a member for years here and it never comes up?

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I've been driving my 3rd gen 5.7 hemi for 7-8 years now and have had zero issues or the dreaded "tick" you hear about so commonly.
I count my blessings, as I know this is an inherent issues with the 4th gens too, so I hear?
Oh yeah, the dreaded rear end issues I've heard so much about from people that DON'T own a Ram? I've been a member for years here and it never comes up?
My buddy has a 2005 hemi also,zero issues plus no tick and its used as a work horse.He doesn't dog it though.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2005 hemi also,zero issues plus no tick and its used as a work horse.He doesn't dog it though.
That would be the 2nd gen Hemi which doesn’t have the same issues as the 3rd gen. Hemi tick is common on both but won’t hurt you on earlier models.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've been going to this particular mechanic since the late 1990's for work on my Gen2 that I wasn't inclined to do myself so I trust him. He's one of those that won't charge you anything if he can't find anything wrong. I still drive my 1998 5.9 quad cab as a daily driver and had a problem with the AC (finally after 23 years). While we were talking about good trucks and how long I've had mine he said two things that I thought would be interesting to people here on the Ram Forums. One is good, and the other is not so good.

1. Most all the Gen 4's he sees that have engine issues, are the 5.7 hemi, and it's almost always the cam and lifter failures. And they are pretty much all at less than 200,000 miles. He also observed that the engine replacements from Jasper have revised cam and roller oiling. He didn't elaborate and I didn't ask. But I would think that this would bear some investigation for those with the 5.7 hemi looking for an engine replacement. I've attached a screen shot from the Jasper engines website on the oiling improvement.

2. The good news? He said that he hasn't ever had to work on a 3.6 pentastar 6 cylinder gen 4 for engine failure. He thinks the 6 is pretty reliable. That's very nice to hear from my mechanic!

View attachment 240588
Not disagreeing that the Hemi doesn't have cam and lifter issues but we have 3 2004 and 2005 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 where I work and I've had to replace the cam and lifters in 2 of them under 200,000 miles. Had a 2010 Chevy Suburban with the 5.3 that rattled so bad lifter wise at every time you started it at 250,000 that we traded it before the issue so the Hemi is not alone with lifter problems.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thats interesting you had problems with the 2004 and 2005 Chevy 5.3's. As I understand it, the 5.3 was a great engine up until 2007 when GM ruined it with the AFM system.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thats interesting you had problems with the 2004 and 2005 Chevy 5.3's. As I understand it, the 5.3 was a great engine up until 2007 when GM ruined it with the AFM system.
Not knocking them but that's just one of the major things I had to do to them. We still have them and they have 300,000 plus miles now. Just saying none are with out issues. Maybe the percentage rate is low like the Hemi. If no one has a problem and everything is good most of the time you hear nothing.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy is a the lead mechanic at an independent shop. As such he gets most of the heavy work such as cams, timing chains, etc. He's had a couple of Pentastars with cam/lifter failure similar to the Hemi, but has seen way more Hemis. Biggest problem he sees with the Pentastar is the oil filter housing.

That oil filter housing is a problem. I am dealing with this right now on my wife's Grand Cherokee. Someone tightened the cap during an oil change and now it's stuck on there. Dealership won't touch it without having a replacement oil filter housing, which is conveniently backordered for 9 months. Basically they said it'll be 9 months to get the part (they think) and it will cost about $1,100! This is going to be an expensive oil change! So I guess I leave the filter in and just drain/refill the oil every so often until then.

This vehicle is in mint shape and was supposed to go to my daughter who just got here license. My wife wanted to buy a new loaded Jeep Sahara Altitude. But there's no f'n way I want another FCA vehicle with that same damn plastic oil filter housing!