Interesting tidbit about 8 speed fluid at the end of this .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
160 engine t-stat Chris. As soon as Charles has the transmission thermostat kit in stock for the trucks,which hopefully should be later this week,i told him to send me one,lol. You've been able to get ones for the cars for awhile,Paramount was offering a 160 tranny thermostat for the cars a few years back,but the only way to get it was to buy one of their transmissions,and Russell at Sound German Auto has been offering a 160 thermostat for the cars for close to a year now,but nobodies had one for the trucks till now.

Love to get one for my trans. 160 t-stat, not so much (I know I cant really take advantage of that without a tune, which I wont be getting...MaxCare warranty, etc).

Wonder if the 160 for the trans does anything without a computer flash and a cooler t-stat for the engine?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Love to get one for my trans. 160 t-stat, not so much (I know I cant really take advantage of that without a tune, which I wont be getting...MaxCare warranty, etc).

Wonder if the 160 for the trans does anything without a computer flash and a cooler t-stat for the engine?

It's my understanding it does .It deletes the heater assembly on the side of the tranny.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's my understanding it does .It deletes the heater assembly on the side of the tranny.

I think thats what the Paramount one does....its just an empty block in place of the stock unit. No thermostatic spring or anything inside.

The ideal would be a modified stock unit that opens at a lower temp. The few things I remember about the inside of the stock unit, its pretty similar to an engine t-stat...so maybe a thinner spring to go in place that might let it open sooner and held keep the temps down.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think thats what the Paramount one does....its just an empty block in place of the stock unit. No thermostatic spring or anything inside.

The ideal would be a modified stock unit that opens at a lower temp. The few things I remember about the inside of the stock unit, its pretty similar to an engine t-stat...so maybe a thinner spring to go in place that might let it open sooner and held keep the temps down.

You're still dealing with the heater assembly ,which could be bypassed by unhooking the heater hoses,but that's an idea.Getting to the spring in the bottom of the thermal unit,is easier said then done though,i tried to take mine apart to get to the spring,but gave up,as i didn't want to ***** it.It'll be a bi-metal spring same as a thermostat uses,so finding a lower temp bi-metal spring to replace the factory spring would take a bit of searching,as you can't throw any old spring in it,lol

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The cars don't have the thermal management heater on the side of the transmission that circulates hot engine coolant to the transmission,so they don't heat the transmission fluid like the trucks do. The trucks 8 speeds run noticably hotter tranny temps then the cars 8 speeds. I can drive to my buddies place 12 miles away and 12 miles back on the freeway at 80mph,and the last 2 Challengers my wife has owned will just barely be touching 155/160'ish on an 80F day,while my truck would be closer to 190F. Swapping to a 160 thermostat and going to the PPE pan has made a noticable differance in my trucks tranny temps,now it runs a little closer to the cars tranny temps,it'll run in the neighbourhood of 168 to 175 now

Good information. Do you recall how much the PPE pan helped with temp by itself? I'm inclined to do a tranny service at 70K with ZF spec fluid and a PPE pan. Did you have any clearance issues with the PPE pan, as I'm assuming you are running non-OEM exhaust....?

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Good information. Do you recall how much the PPE pan helped with temp by itself? I'm inclined to do a tranny service at 70K with ZF spec fluid and a PPE pan. Did you have any clearance issues with the PPE pan, as I'm assuming you are running non-OEM exhaust....?

Clint440 if you do a search for PPE on the forum you will find several threads discussing using it with the Hemi crossover pipe exhaust. From what people say in those threads it clears the exhaust. But please let us know your experiences. I just changed my fluid/pan and used the factory style pan. Wish I had gone and bought the PPE pan and been done with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

A buddy and i both did the PPE pan,he figures it took roughly 10 degrees out of his temp on his lifted 35" tired 4X4,i'm not quite that optimistic,i figure it was good for about 5 degrees on my lowered 4X4. Neither of us had any issues with clearance on the cross-over,but we're both also running long tube headers.Several guys have said they've had no issues with cross-over clearance with their stock exhaust though.A little tidbit to help keep heat off the PPE pan is to wrap the cross-over pipe with header wrap,as the pan will be fairly close to the cross over,and aluminium transfers heat both ways,so keeping the external side of the pan cooler will help it pull heat out of the transmission fluid

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decisions, decisions... I have the Doug Thorley and it crosses over. DT is adamant to not exhaust wrap it's headers, not sure on the Y pipe. I dunno if it's worth in my application if it only changes the temp 5 to 10 degrees to have possible clearance issues.

Yeah I did some reading up on the PPE pans also sounds like Dorman with replaceable filter is a valid option.