Interior Cabin Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cleaning out the truck 2 days ago and pulled out the drivers front mat and found the carpet underneath soaked with water. Used the shop vac and sucked all the water out and left the doors open to dry it out.
Yesterday we had a bad storm with high winds so just to see I checked the carpet again and sure enough soaked like crazy. I took off the plastic trim and pulled up the carpet but can’t see where the water would be coming in. Anyone have any ideas on we’re to look. It’s a 2020 limited.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have a sunroof, there has been a few reports of the drain lines off or not properly routed causing leaks

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
also they did have issues with the welds between the body and the door frame allowing water to seep in between the fender and body go through the seam and enter via the kick panel in behind the trim onto the floor

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks I will have a look. I did get my hand up the pillar area by the windshield and can’t feel any dampness. Also if the leak was coming from the sunroof wouldn’t the head liner be damp?

Railrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought and received a 2022 Longhorn Limited 2500 (w/sunroof) and had a water leak right away. The new-car leather smell was replaced with a swampy skanky mildew smell. It was horrible. Took it to my dealer for repair/service this past Friday. My service guy said it would most likely be either the power-open rear window or my third brake light assembly (above the power-open rear window). He did not mention the sunroof. Turned out to be my third-brake light assembly. He said the gasket gets mangled sometimes when the truck is built. I hope that was the problem. We’ll see after the next rain storm. When I picked up the truck late Friday afternoon, the windows were open to air out the truck. (I think they were suppose to ozone the cabin to help with the smell.)

A side note… I spoke to the parts guy at the dealership and he said they don‘t make the individual gasket for the third-light Assembly. You have to replace the entire assembly. I reminded him my truck also has the cargo camera (comes with the Limited) in that third brake-light assembly. He said yep, it all gets replaced… just for that gasket. He also said had it been the power-open rear window leaking, the entire power-window assemble would have been replaced. That seems so wasteful. I can only guess the cost of these assemblies and the corresponding labor, all under warrenty.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also they did have issues with the welds between the body and the door frame allowing water to seep in between the fender and body go through the seam and enter via the kick panel in behind the trim onto the floor
That leak was on the A pillar the left front fender has to be removed and a 3M drip Chek sealer has to be used with epoxy paint there is a TSB out on it for the body shop to do.

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t think I have the same problem as the 3rd light as the back seat carpet is dry. Just the driver front carpet. I’m down in Florida right now so I have all the doors and windows open and it’s almost dry now. Maybe tomorrow I will start spraying with the hose and see what happens. Also I will call the dealership back home and see if it is still under warranty.

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That leak was on the A pillar the left front fender has to be removed and a 3M drip Chek sealer has to be used with epoxy paint there is a TSB out on it for the body shop to do.
I don't think it is in the a pillar as I pulled up the rug and put a towel down on the floor and some paper towel up inside the pillar. It rained like crazy this morning and when I checked the towel was wet in 1 corner towards the pillar by the harness that runs along the door seal. I am starting to think it may be the door seal.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I know you said you've reached up under the dash and not felt any moisture but I have read of some having issues with the windshield seal.

OP
OP
D

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know you said you've reached up under the dash and not felt any moisture but I have read of some having issues with the windshield seal.
Water seams to puddling along the side where the wiring harness goes to the back right under the interior door seal. I am going to put some paper around the seal and see if it gets wet during the next rain.