interior leaks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firegurl172

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017/2019
Engine
3.6/5.7
Hey all. I am having some issues with my 2017 1500 Express. When I got in thismorning, I found all the carpets wet, and the windshield was absolutely soaked on the inside. I have noticed the moisture inside before and it is slowly getting worse. There are no stains on the headliner or anything that would make me think its a windshield or third break light leak. I saw one small older looking streak mark on my passenger side A pillar but Im still unsure of where it would be coming from. Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas on where it could be coming from? It is literally the entire carpet! Help!

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I along with a lot of others have a problem like that. I suspect mine is related to snow/ice on the roof causing condensation on the underside. It only happens when there's snow/ice on the roof. I'm wondering if trucks made for Southern sales zones had insulation left out out under the roof. That's the only reason I can think of that explains why some trucks have the problem, while others don't.

Last edited:

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
If you have a sunroof, the drain tube may be clogged/slow to drain...My wife's Caliber had that problem...Her drain lines are under the hood, in the corners near the cowling...Blow them from bottom up, not top down...

OP
OP
Firegurl172

Firegurl172

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017/2019
Engine
3.6/5.7
Theres no sun roof and unfortunately this started in the summer months with the water laying in the floors. The windshield is a new one for me though. I would believe the roof ice/snow theory if I had stains on the headliner but thats not the case either. It has me absolutely baffled. I can wash it (when its fully dry) and have absolutely no issues with water seeping to the interior from it.

Last edited:

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
Theres no sun roof and unfortunately this started in the summer months with the water laying in the floors. The windshield is a new one for me though. I would believe the roof ice/snow theory if I had stains on the headliner but thats not the case either. It has me absolutely baffled. I can wash it (when its fully dry) and have absolutely no issues with water seeping to the interior from it.
Just saw this posted today... https://www.ramforum.com/threads/taking-on-water.173986/

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I along with a lot of others have a problem like that. I suspect mine is related to snow/ice on the roof causing condensation on the underside. It only happens when there's snow/ice on the roof. I'm wondering if trucks made for Southern sales zones had insulation left out out under the roof. That's the only reason I can think of that explains why some trucks have the problem, while others don't.

I’d bet the seal on the center, high-mounted brake light is leaking. It will not show a stain on the headliner.

RAM has updated the brake light assembly (you can’t buy just the gasket) multiple times. The latest one has a thicker, more robust gasket attached.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey all. I am having some issues with my 2017 1500 Express. When I got in thismorning, I found all the carpets wet, and the windshield was absolutely soaked on the inside. I have noticed the moisture inside before and it is slowly getting worse. There are no stains on the headliner or anything that would make me think its a windshield or third break light leak. I saw one small older looking streak mark on my passenger side A pillar but Im still unsure of where it would be coming from. Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas on where it could be coming from? It is literally the entire carpet! Help!

There's a few known leak points. The antenae on the roof / the rubber roof sealing strips that run from the windshield to the back of the cab / the 3rd brake light / the back cab wall vents / sunroof drains if equipped with sunroof / rubber door molding sealing strips / the back window itself ,and if it's a slider the slider sealing strips / the front windshield are all known leak spots,you just have to narrow it down to which one is giving you issues

OP
OP
Firegurl172

Firegurl172

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017/2019
Engine
3.6/5.7
There's a few known leak points. The antenae on the roof / the rubber roof sealing strips that run from the windshield to the back of the cab / the 3rd brake light / the back cab wall vents / sunroof drains if equipped with sunroof / rubber door molding sealing strips / the back window itself ,and if it's a slider the slider sealing strips / the front windshield are all known leak spots,you just have to narrow it down to which one is giving you issues

We checked again today after rain over night. Only the front floors are wet and damn are they WET! I popped lining under under the glove box and the bottom of the A-pillar is rusted. I am going to try and seal the “roof seals” and pray this helps.

OP
OP
Firegurl172

Firegurl172

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017/2019
Engine
3.6/5.7
I’d bet the seal on the center, high-mounted brake light is leaking. It will not show a stain on the headliner.

RAM has updated the brake light assembly (you can’t buy just the gasket) multiple times. The latest one has a thicker, more robust gasket attached.

Saw that too but mine is more in the front than rear. I believe the dampness in the rear is just because of how humid it gets when it starts taking on water.

Hellcatsrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 1500 poured water from the front of the headliner when I hit the brakes the other day. We had 2 days of rain prior. It ran down my dash, radio screen etc and out the access hole for the drivers side a pillar grab handle. So now the interior smells musty. I noticed the A pillar leak before but forgot about it. It does not leak from the car wash or power wash...only after heavy rains.
I have an extended warranty and dropped it off at the dealer early check in today. I wonder if things are wet under the rear seat now after reading everything tonight about the vents behind the back seat falling apart on these trucks after 6 years.

NASAtrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000, 2017
Engine
5.2, 6cyl
F4749C55-EA0D-4177-8F82-A572565046BC.jpeg2FBA742D-5E58-4919-B96C-0F4704095560.jpegC82D0938-8F6A-484B-86F1-A2C3879742CA.jpeg5212AFDA-69B9-4BCD-818A-A06F6106B244.jpeg6C418A67-5540-469F-9F0F-B661D3266C9F.jpegSo, after 4 years, my 2017 Ram Tradesman “started” leaking water inside. First noticed what appeared to be water coming in from the door weatherstrip (top rear corner, driver’s door), but I pulled the rear interior bulkhead panel and corner panels put to find the foam soaked from the cabin pressure vents downward…so went after them first. They were somewhat “loose” when clipped in, and could easily push them out but No way could they come out between bed and cab. So I pulled and twisted a bit and they came out the inside.
Cleaned them up and used some spray adhesive with foam insulation to form a “gasket” around perimeter. Easily twisted back in from inside and was much tighter when clips engaged. Will follow up when rains again (too lazy to break hose out) with some photos but this has to at least be better.