Interior Light Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone experienced this?
When I open the door, no interior dome or map lights come on.

I can manually turn the ones on in the front by pressing them.

If the car is powered off, I can turn them both on manually by pressing them and shut them off with the dial under the headlight control.

The cluster shows when a door is open or closed.

I have checked all fuses under the hood as well as the connector behind the light control box.

2015 1500 Express

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a switch somewhere that U can turn so the lights stay off even when U open the door. Not remember where it is on a MY 15... Check this on yer truck, from "15 manual.

Interior Lights
Courtesy and dome lights are turned on when the front
doors are opened, when the dimmer control (rotating
wheel on the bottom of the switch) is rotated to the far
right detent position. If your vehicle is equipped with
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and the UNLOCK button is
pressed on the RKE transmitter the courtesy and dome
lights will turn on. When a door is open and the interior
lights are on, rotating the dimmer control all the way left,
to the OFF detent, will cause all the interior lights to go
out. This is also known as the #Party# mode because it
allows the doors to stay open for extended periods of
time without discharging the vehicle’s battery.
172 UNDERSTANDING THE FEATURES OF YOUR VEHICLE

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a switch somewhere that U can turn so the lights stay off even when U open the door. Not remember where it is on a MY 15... Check this on yer truck, from "15 manual.

Interior Lights
Courtesy and dome lights are turned on when the front
doors are opened, when the dimmer control (rotating
wheel on the bottom of the switch) is rotated to the far
right detent position. If your vehicle is equipped with
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and the UNLOCK button is
pressed on the RKE transmitter the courtesy and dome
lights will turn on. When a door is open and the interior
lights are on, rotating the dimmer control all the way left,
to the OFF detent, will cause all the interior lights to go
out. This is also known as the #Party# mode because it
allows the doors to stay open for extended periods of
time without discharging the vehicle’s battery.
172 UNDERSTANDING THE FEATURES OF YOUR VEHICLE

Thank you, that dial does work but does not control my lights anymore.
The day before yesterday, it did. I have not done anything to the truck for the past few months so there has been no changes really.
Unlock wont turn them on either from the keypad.
Only way to turn them on is by pressing them.
I have turned the dial all the way left, all the way right, in the middle and still nothing.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does that when I leave the door open too long. It eventually comes back.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does that when I leave the door open too long. It eventually comes back.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That is what I was hoping but It has been more than 2 days so far with the same issue and a bunch of different testing.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does the same thing. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. They turn on when I put the keys in the ignition and go to start my truck. This has been going on for a year now. I have tried replacing the bulbs and everything. 2015 1500 Express

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. They turn on when I put the keys in the ignition and go to start my truck. This has been going on for a year now. I have tried replacing the bulbs and everything. 2015 1500 Express
Mine wont do anything with the key in the ignition either. Its like its dead at the switch for turning them on.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Strange. I thought it was because I switched all of mine to LED but I switched them all back to the original bulb and still the same issue.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strange. I thought it was because I switched all of mine to LED but I switched them all back to the original bulb and still the same issue.
Yeah I am just at a lose and dont know what else to check.
Im not electrical illiterate so i may take the center housing down and test the wires and see what happens and how it responds to door triggers but I was hoping someone else has experienced the issue so that it can save me the time.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watch pulling them upper consoles, FCA has a lot of "hidden" clips. On MY 19, there are 4 clips rear, 2 screws in eyeglass holder and (2) hidden clips just behind eyeglass holder, buggers to get to. NE WAY, FWIW, I had to pull the upper to pry out and put in LED. I did not research enuf, and did not know about those (2) hidden upper clips, and "snapped" both of them. Good thing there are 2 screws there, of I would have been screwed, LOL

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO now this morning I woke up to a dead Battery.
Do not know if the two are related but I guess this weekend instead of wash and wax, its going to be diagnose and test... and maybe replace the battery.
Any suggestions on batteries BTW?

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will have to look and see if mine comes on. I know I can manually turn it on using the switch but haven't checked if it comes on when I get the others to work

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will have to look and see if mine comes on. I know I can manually turn it on using the switch but haven't checked if it comes on when I get the others to work
So my dial/switch does nothing with the lights unless i manually turn the front ones on.
I can't turn the rear one on with the dial or any other way (I do not think i have a switch for it anywhere other than under the headlight control).
Lights wont come on with unlock, wont come on with key on or key off, nothing.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO CASIO: U have a parasitic draw somewhere, unless a light was on. There are a few threads on how to find them, but it is time consuming, but U will have to find threads, I do not remember where they R and my time right now is limited

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went out and checked mine. My dome light is not working at all either. I think I may have figured out the lights not coming on in my truck when I unlock though. I will have to keep an eye on them and see if they continue to work. With mine the dial was pretty low as I do not like my truck real bright from the radio at night. I turned it up a little higher and it seems to be working since.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO CASIO: U have a parasitic draw somewhere, unless a light was on. There are a few threads on how to find them, but it is time consuming, but U will have to find threads, I do not remember where they R and my time right now is limited
Thank you!
I think the two issues may be unrealted. after
I just went out and checked mine. My dome light is not working at all either. I think I may have figured out the lights not coming on in my truck when I unlock though. I will have to keep an eye on them and see if they continue to work. With mine the dial was pretty low as I do not like my truck real bright from the radio at night. I turned it up a little higher and it seems to be working since.
That is great you got your figured out!
I know its not the same in my case, I have tested the position of that dial every position I can.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you!
I think the two issues may be unrelated. after i let my car sit for a few hours today, I went back and tested the battery and it tests good. For now, I am going to consider the two unrelated.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, got me, U got all my alleged wisdom, LMAO