Interior Lights work intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kellce61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 21 1500 Classic crew cab that I purchased used last summer and love it. Shortly after buying it we noticed the back cab light worked intermittently. Had it at the dealer for some maintenance and they said it had an LED build and shouldn't have, so they replaced with and incandescent. Okay but all the bulls on this truck appear to be LED and we immediately noticed the build still worked intermittently. I took a look and the bulb the dealer installed, it was a 1/4" too short!! Snapped in one side but only touched the other. I replaced with the correct length LED build which worked good but a time later all of the interior lights started working intermittently. The dial/switch does control dash brightness but will not turn on interior lights. Unlocking with the remote randomly turns on lights, if the lights are not turning on if I put the key in the ignition and turn to power the lights turn on. Same with getting out of the truck, sometimes the lights come on, sometimes they don't. This also affects the bed light which intermittently will not turn on even with the dash button. Feel I'll have to leave at the dealer but was hoping to gain a little knowledge on the subject first. Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in on the subject. Kelly

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Cheap LEDs can cause this, some on this forum have had to swap to few different LEDs to find ones that work. Looks for ones that are CANbus error free

OP
OP
Kellce61

Kellce61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This would make sense as the dealer said this vehicle did not come with LED's. I'm going to look now at the one I purchased and tomorrow start checking all the others. Thank you, this seems like a very plausible lead. I hate the thought of taking vehicle to the dealer.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve lived with this for years lol. Completely random!
If anyone knows the reliable brand please chime in.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used these 921 LED's for my rear cargo light and have never had an issue in the two years they have been in there. They are super bright.

and this 921 one for the third brake light, and it's super bright too.

edit - My 19' came with all standard bulbs as well, and these 921's from the supplier have never caused issues (for me, anyways).

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELL, I have a 2019 DT. I put in the same LED's also in MY 15 ED, both worked all the time, no issue. Will paste pics for the OP:

LED FESTOON DOME.JPGLED Interior.JPG

NOW, the bulbs you have may be good, and maybe there is a short somewhere, like maybe a bad door switch, just saying. Above is what I installed in MY 19.

OP
OP
Kellce61

Kellce61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at the bulb I put in the back dome light and it does not mention Canbus error free and the problem started a week or so after installation. Tomorrow I"m going to try to pick up a new bulb of quality and see if this makes a difference. If a bulb change works I'll make a post of it. Remember the original problem was the back dome light flickered or didn't work only because the LED bulb was too short to connect to both terminals.

OP
OP
Kellce61

Kellce61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Edit: I just ordered the Yorkim bulbs on Amazon to be here Monday. I think the bulbs I previously purchased are not the proper quality so no mater what the problem is I want to start with quality bulbs.

Basil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to https://www.headlightrevolution.com

They have what you need. If you are having problem with your Cambus lighting they most likely have done the testing and understand the problem. I changed out most of my interior and exterior bulbs to LED with there help. Go to the website an get there contact number and give them a call. I did and they were very helpful.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Edit: I just ordered the Yorkim bulbs on Amazon to be here Monday. I think the bulbs I previously purchased are not the proper quality so no mater what the problem is I want to start with quality bulbs.
These are what I use. ALSO, hopefully they did not put the new style bulb holders in the Classics, as the new bulb holder on DT trucks suks, kinda like a paperclip, LOL. BUT I have had these bulbs in my truck since 2018, and no issues., They are relatively inexpensive and hope U have good success. Been a long time since I put in my ED (which I no longer have), and these bulbs may be polarity sensitive, the map light ones, so may only work going in one way. I would check for You but they are a MF to get out of the new style upper consoles. Just FYI..

OP
OP
Kellce61

Kellce61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THANK YOU. Problem with interior lights working intermittently appears to be solved!! CANBUS error free bulbs ( I used the Yorkum brand ) seem to have solved the problem. I purchased two brands of LED's prior to coming here for advice, neither turned out to be Canbus error free. Immediately upon installation everything began working as intended. If for any reason this problem reappears I will come back to this post and make an update. Can't thank everyone enough for your knowledge and help. LED LIGHTS MUST BE CANBUS ERROR FREE.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THANK YOU. Problem with interior lights working intermittently appears to be solved!! CANBUS error free bulbs ( I used the Yorkum brand ) seem to have solved the problem. I purchased two brands of LED's prior to coming here for advice, neither turned out to be Canbus error free. Immediately upon installation everything began working as intended. If for any reason this problem reappears I will come back to this post and make an update. Can't thank everyone enough for your knowledge and help. LED LIGHTS MUST BE CANBUS ERROR FREE.
How has your bulbs been working for the past month? I've been dealing with this issue for the last couple of years and I never bothered to look into it until now. Also, could you help me with each bulb part number and quantity required to replace all of the interior lights with LED's?

OP
OP
Kellce61

Kellce61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replacing the LED's with quality canbus error free has completely eliminated this crazy problem I encountered. Even expensive bulbs that are not error free will wreak havoc!! It took me 3 tries with 3 brands of bulbs until someone here explained the problem.