Interior upgrade on my inherited bighorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSavoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just inherited my dad’s 2019 big horn and I’m trying to make it feel like mine a bit. I love having his truck to remember him by but I want to make it feel less like I’m waiting on him to get in with me if you know what I mean. So I figured making some changes to it could make it feel a little more like my truck. I’ve already decided on a mild sounding cat back exhaust to hear the hemi a little bit more, and a strut leveling kit for better presentation. For the interior I’ve got a forward and rear view dashcam that integrates with the oem rear view, looking for a nicer wheel but I was wondering if anyone here has changed the cloth seats to leather and what there experience was, I’ve always loved the brown leather interiors you see on the limited 1500 and the interior of the f-150 platinum but I’m not trying to break the bank. Is there a good source to find used leather seats and consoles, I have the heated seats in the front but not vented, I know its possible to upgrade the rear seats to heated and vented but its not a must, would be nice though. Other than that I am also looking to overhaul the sound system. I’ve been a Tacoma guy since my first truck and this is my first time outside of the Toyota family so I am not sure what is possible considering basically everything is possible on a Tacoma, if there are any things that y’all have done that you wouldn’t do without in y’all’s please let me know, everything I do the only big thing for me is I want it to “feel” oem, like it came with the truck, I don’t like Jerry rigged feeling stuff. Please let me know any suggestions.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry for your loss.

People have written about upgrading to leather through Katzkin branded full covers, uses existing frame and cushions.

Check also the threads "what have you done this week" and "best mods under $100.

Your truck is a 5th Gen, some Classics from 4th Gen still sold even today so be careful of parts. Easy way to tell, 5th Gen has 1500 on hood and 4th had it in doors.

Avoid a cold air intake, you have the best there is. When you look through what others have done, you will get some great ideas.

Good luck.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just inherited my dad’s 2019 big horn and I’m trying to make it feel like mine a bit. I love having his truck to remember him by but I want to make it feel less like I’m waiting on him to get in with me if you know what I mean. So I figured making some changes to it could make it feel a little more like my truck. I’ve already decided on a mild sounding cat back exhaust to hear the hemi a little bit more, and a strut leveling kit for better presentation. For the interior I’ve got a forward and rear view dashcam that integrates with the oem rear view, looking for a nicer wheel but I was wondering if anyone here has changed the cloth seats to leather and what there experience was, I’ve always loved the brown leather interiors you see on the limited 1500 and the interior of the f-150 platinum but I’m not trying to break the bank. Is there a good source to find used leather seats and consoles, I have the heated seats in the front but not vented, I know its possible to upgrade the rear seats to heated and vented but its not a must, would be nice though. Other than that I am also looking to overhaul the sound system. I’ve been a Tacoma guy since my first truck and this is my first time outside of the Toyota family so I am not sure what is possible considering basically everything is possible on a Tacoma, if there are any things that y’all have done that you wouldn’t do without in y’all’s please let me know, everything I do the only big thing for me is I want it to “feel” oem, like it came with the truck, I don’t like Jerry rigged feeling stuff. Please let me know any suggestions.

When you say “overhaul” the sound system, what system do you have currently?

OP
OP
G

GSavoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say “overhaul” the sound system, what system do you have currently?
Im not sure which one I have at the moment, and can’t really check because I am across the country right now, but it does not sound good. A lot of rattle and it always sounds scratchy.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not sure which one I have at the moment, and can’t really check because I am across the country right now, but it does not sound good. A lot of rattle and it always sounds scratchy.

The basic 6 speaker is typically more easily modified than the more exotic 9-12 speaker systems. Several companies make drop in replacement speakers and the factory head unit on the basic systems is easily amplified with aftermarket amps that seamlessly integrate and lose zero functionality.

OP
OP
G

GSavoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The basic 6 speaker is typically more easily modified than the more exotic 9-12 speaker systems. Several companies make drop in replacement speakers and the factory head unit on the basic systems is easily amplified with aftermarket amps that seamlessly integrate and lose zero functionality.
Ok good, I was hoping I could integrate an aftermarket amp, I looked into it and it doesn’t look too complicated?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok good, I was hoping I could integrate an aftermarket amp, I looked into it and it doesn’t look too complicated?

It’s not too complicated depending on the system you already have in your truck. The basic factory sound system if the most flexible. Simply removing the radio and using a T-harness allows for easy integration without cutting into the factory harness. There are several small class D amps available that allow for high level inputs, show a load to the factory system and have a small footprint that can be mounted under the dash. Some of these newer amps allow for bi-amping which uses one amplifier and one speaker input to feed four separate channels. Using this method you can power each front door and dash speaker individually while using the factory radio to power the rear doors. Some even have a digital signal processing function. You won’t get big monster power with these smaller amps, typically 50W per channel but they do offer a seamless integration keeping all factory functions while boosting power. Several speaker manufacturers also offer products that fit without modification into existing openings.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another vote for Katzkin leather seats. Love mine.

OP
OP
G

GSavoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't change my Dads truck in any way.
I would love the feeling of waiting for him.
I want the feeling of loss to remind me to talk with him.
I envy your chances.
I had a similar feeling when I first received it, me and my dad were very close and I think about him every day, me and my brother also share his boat and guns, two things that he loved and that is our way of remembering him since we all shared that interest, it’s just kind of taxing to think about it every time I get in if that makes sense. I don’t want to change it a ton just don’t want it to completely feel like I’m supposed to be in it with him, hell sometimes I keep his last can of grizzly wintergreen open to get the smell from when he had it. It has reminded me to talk with family more and get closer with family we don’t see as much, my dad left in good hearts with us and the last thing he told me was that he was proud of me as I left for special operation school, I’m proud to drive his truck now and I don’t want to completely change it.