Intermittent 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keballard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been having an intermittant starting problem with my 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi. It has happened a half dozen times. When it occurs, I put the key into the ignition switch and switch to run, everything comes on the dash display, but I notice the shift lever indicator has turned yellow and I have a series of messages scrowl on the screen - Service Power Steering, Service Electronic Braking System, and Service Antilock Brake System. When I try to start truck nothing happens. I can wait sometimes a half hour or so and the truck starts fine. This morning for example, I went out and started my truck (no problems) and let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. I went out a half hour later and the truck would not start with the symptoms described above. Then a hour later, I was able to start the truck just fine. I noticed that the malfunction indicator and ESC activation/malfunction indicator lights are on. I checked the codes with my code reader and several came up - U110C, U1110, U1120, U1403, U110E, and U0140. Most of the codes lean to a faulty Body Control Module. The truck is still under warranty and have an appointment with Dodge next week. Just wondering if anyone out there has come across this with their truck. This issue first started this last summer and I took it in to dealer. They could not duplicate the problem, but said they found a few connectors that were loose (this was in late November 2021). The truck ran fine until last week when it started acting up again. I would appreciate any known fixes or anybody's input. I would like to be armed with a little knowledge before my appointment with dealer.

Peteinohio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can’t see that anyone responded to you on this. What did the dealer find out?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you hear the fuel pump when it won't start? Could be the famous fuel pump relay problem that plagued those year TIPM's. Essentially, a relay on the computer board has failed for many. Enough that there's an aftermarket solution for it. There's a fuel pump bypass you can buy for like $7-8 on ebay. IDK if 2013 (depending on build date) would be an issue, but I believe so:

You're sure you battery is 100% good and all the body/engine connections are 'valid', right? Maybe it's gone bad since last year. That's the first thing is to make sure the current can flow like it should. When my battery failed I had starting problems for a couple days before it finally kicked the bucket. I was wondering what was going on too. But maybe in your case it could be cables, connections or corrosion on the engine-side where the cable connects. Have them load-test the battery and quadruple-check the grounds and connections.

Another part to suspect is the key switch. There used to be a lot of posts about the key switches flaking out on older trucks (that had them). But since your situation seemed to resolve itself for a long time, maybe it is or not. Did they replace the key switch at some point in time? What happens if you wiggle the key around and try the switch multiple times? Switches can be funny: I have a car that the dim switch wouldn't work for several years. I was going to change the switch then the dims started working and for the last 4 years. Maybe the switch inside is failing, but it started working again if a piece of the brass contact (inside) is barely making some contact now. So, who knows?? In your tk's case, could be the key switch or maybe not.

The other thing would be to check the fusebox/fuses, lift it up and wiggle or re-plug in your truck's main computer connectors. And inspect the TIPM (computer). Depending on where you are located corrosion has been an issue for some truck owners. It's not exactly in the best locaction like they used to be.

_

Those are the things off the top of my head..

Last edited: