Intermittent ABS light 07 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Morning Folks,

So I've had my truck for 2 weeks-ish and everything has been sunshine and blue birds. I was coming to work yesterday morning and the ABS light pops on. No driveability issues so I just figured id get the code checked at lunch. Headed to Oreillys at lunch and the light was off... figured id get the code read anyway see what happened. NO CODE got stored.... ok weird. Drove back to work, no light.... on the way home, light pops on. Stopped to get a beverage, got back in the truck, no light. This morning on the way in, light. Stopped to get coffee, back on the road... no light. So I'm trying to wrap my head around this.... if there is no code, no functionality issues, and the light goes on and off.... what the heck?! Now I've looked around and done some searching and a lot of folks are saying there is only rear wheel ABS on these trucks. ok fair enough, seems weird on a 1 ton but ok, I don't know very much about ABS.

I got under the truck last night and there are wires to the rear axel only but they don't go out to the calipers or that end of the axel, it stops on the drivers side of the pumpkin and ties into a block that connects the brake lines. I did not see any wires down by either front wheel but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. So, I also noticed last night that this truck is a hydro boost power brake set up. That's cool, but a little scary for me as I've had a hydro boost set up on an RV I had and the seal between the MC and the booster went bad and it ran me 3k in a new brake system as PS fluid and brake fluid don't mix. With that said, i understand how they work but i still have a little bit of PTSD lol. Would that intermittently throw the ABS light? if there was a seal bad some where and fluids were mixing?

1) I thought about flushing the brakes, seeing if that would help, fluid is full and not terribly dirty, but I have no idea when it was changed, do i need to flush the abs module separately? or will everything get flushed with just a normal flush? are there any other fluids that would throw this off?

2) where would I start with testing sensors? or since there is no code stored, would that be an issue?

3) is my abs module starting to crap out on me?

4) I read that one of the members on here replaced shocks and got the truck level and that seemed to help, my truck is leveled but still sits a hair higher in the front than the rear... could that be it? just a fluid level imbalance?

Thanks guys,

Matt

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck has wheel speed sensors in the front and rear which will trigger the ABS light if they are bad. Check out this link:

What you need to do is try to scan it when the light is on... I know, a lot easier said than done - but if you can do that, you may be able to find out exactly which sensor is triggering the ABS light.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
MK82

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
I'll give it a shot, it quit for a few weeks now it's back on. Every time I turn the truck on and off it clears... but like you said easier said than done. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks man

Matt