Intermittent Cruise Control Button Panel Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wondering if anyone has had this issue. The entire button panel on the right side of the steering wheel (with cruise control button and gear -/+) has started working intermittently, maybe 40% of the time when driving. Took to dealership and they saw errors logged, can't remember exactly but electrical high/low threshold-ish errors related to gear button and cruise control buttons. Truck was already there for recalls so had them diagnose. They said the switch was bad and replaced pn 68111384-AB. Of course worked on the way home but got in to come home from work next day and it's back to not working.

So far I'm in this for $250, just wondering how deep this can go, and if anyone experienced similar what was your solution? If relevant this is 2014 1500 5.7 Sport 8spd.

Should add when it doesn't work, none of the buttons on the panel work including all cruise control and all gear buttons.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4WD
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's a FCA technical service bulletin for the cruise control issue (a common known issue, the service adviser should know about it.)--I had the same problem and they covered the repair under warranty, but my truck is a 2017 and still under warranty. They didn't replace my button panel, but cleaned the contacts and checked operation. It's been fine since.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It figures, I just had this intermittent cruise control start on my truck this past weekend. What ****** me off is my 3/36 just expired due to time on September 1st, mileage is at 33k. It happened once then the next 4 times I drove it, no problem, then today it did it again. At 1st I thought it didn't reboot correctly but now it's probably the switch or clock spring. Luckily I have the lifetime maxcare but it will cost me $100 instead of free. Do you know how much beer that could buy me, answer is $100 worth of beer:D, DAMN!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
It figures, I just had this intermittent cruise control start on my truck this past weekend. What ****** me off is my 3/36 just expired due to time on September 1st, mileage is at 33k. It happened once then the next 4 times I drove it, no problem, then today it did it again. At 1st I thought it didn't reboot correctly but now it's probably the switch or clock spring. Luckily I have the lifetime maxcare but it will cost me $100 instead of free. Do you know how much beer that could buy me, answer is $100 worth of beer:D, DAMN!

I apologize for the trouble, @indept. If you work with your dealer for this concern, our team is always a private message away and more than willing to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I have an appt this coming Thursday but now the cruise control has worked fine for the last 4 starts. Your opinion, do I keep the appt or wait until it fails more frequently?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's up to you but I would just get it fixed. This is a known problem with these trucks and it's usually the switch itself that causes the problem. It's most likely just going to continue to get worse. If your truck is an 8 speed You can buy a new OEM switch for around $70 and change it yourself but you need to remove the airbag to do it. Obviously the dealer is going to mark up the switch but for the difference of $30 more with your deductible you may just want to have them do it. It's a pretty simple procedure. Hopefully the dealer won't pull the unable to duplicate card on you if it's not acting up as much. Try to get it on video if it does.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's up to you but I would just get it fixed. This is a known problem with these trucks and it's usually the switch itself that causes the problem. It's most likely just going to continue to get worse. If your truck is an 8 speed You can buy a new OEM switch for around $70 and change it yourself but you need to remove the airbag to do it. Obviously the dealer is going to mark up the switch but for the difference of $30 more with your deductible you may just want to have them do it. It's a pretty simple procedure. Hopefully the dealer won't pull the unable to duplicate card on you if it's not acting up as much. Try to get it on video if it does.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

A video is a good idea. I asked the service manager if they need to duplicate it and he said it's up to the shop manager. Ill call back and talk to that manager before I drop it off.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine would not work if I remote started the truck vs getting in and pushing the button to start. This happened in early 2019, I was just out of warranty. This is a known issue. The dealer could not find anything and shortly after it stopped. Only was an issue for a couple months then went away.

I found if you pushed two of the buttons at the same time it would work.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
There's a FCA technical service bulletin for the cruise control issue (a common known issue, the service adviser should know about it.)--I had the same problem and they covered the repair under warranty, but my truck is a 2017 and still under warranty. They didn't replace my button panel, but cleaned the contacts and checked operation. It's been fine since.
Do you know if they cleaned the contacts on the switch, the connector in the steering wheel, of the one in the column?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does anyone have a copy of the TSB that rowemesp mentioned?

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you know if they cleaned the contacts on the switch, the connector in the steering wheel, of the one in the column?

Here are the comments by the tech, written on the work order:

upload_2020-9-21_8-13-50.png

Hope this helps! --Rob

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm surprised that there isn't a video on someone doing the cleaning as per the TSB on youtube. I decided ti cancel the appt at the dealer until it gets worse. I don't want them telling me they can't repeat it , oh and here's what you owe us for the diagnosis....

I can make it work by pressing the gear +/- buttons first then cruise works everytime until the next time I start my truck.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, not even 1 year in I have this issue. :|

grumpygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep had the same issue on my '16. i would just roll my thumb over all the buttons til it popped up saying cruise ready on the dash. got it replaced by the dealer under my extended warranty.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm reviving this post as my intermittent cruise control has returned, but I've discovered a new way to solve the problem at least temporarily. When my CC is intermittent, I pull the fuse (in the TIPM box) for the cruise control (make sure key is off when you do so). Put the fuse back in and then it's fine for a few months. It seems to be resetting something in the PCM, but the issue eventually will return after awhile--sometimes weeks or months later. I'm gonna mention this to the dealer next time I'm in, but I'm not gonna throw diagnostic money at this as long as I can reset it this way. --Rob

tuckerdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How is this fuse labeled? I can't find a fuse listed for cruise control. Thanks