Intermittent Service 4wd light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only started having this happen once I went to 37s and used my AEV procal snap. Not saying this is causing the problem, just noticed this happening once these two changes occurred. When I bought my 2019 PW it was already on 35s, but the speedo wasn't calibrated at the time of purchase.

While driving, randomly I get a "service 4wd" light on. If I shut truck off, and turn back on the light goes away for sometimes days, sometimes same day it might pop back up.
This weekend it came on while I was doing some tree work in the yard. When the light is on, I cannot get my rear locker to engage, nor when I put it in 4wd, does it appear the front axle locks into 4wd. So with that, am I correct in assuming something in the front axle disconnect is having an issue?

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Stating the obvious, but the lockers will not engage in 4 LO unless moving under 3 MPH. Likewise, not sure if the "SERVICE 4WD" is lit would prevent locking.

Looks like you might be under warranty so that is an alternative to troubleshooting it yourself. I hope your dealer has their act together. All mine ever did was re-flash SW or couldn't replicate the condition. I ended up replacing the TCPS and the "4WD SHIFT IN PROGRESS" and "SERVICE 4WD" lamps has not turned on 2 years and counting while in 2 HI, but that is on a manual shift TC. If you have the electronic shifting type, then that is different altogether.