Intermittent severe loss of power, 8.0 v10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
I have an intermittent severe loss of power that "starts" sometimes after deceleration, and during acceleration (like at a stop light). It happens 50% of the time. Doesn't happen if I'm at a steady cruise. It feels like the engine can't breathe, and at WOT I can't break 1000rpm. If I jab the throttle WOT a few times, it clears a bit, then goes away. It happens less in the winter. The exhaust sounds significantly different during LOP.

I have had this issue since I changed the plugs and wires last spring. I used Champion platinums and Autolite wires, ran real strong later that day, next day ran like crap. I've since changed to Dodge's recommended Champions (can't remember which right now) and Denso wires (hard to find a set of 10 wires!). Hasn't helped much.

Replaced fuel pump, cats, and one of the O2 sensors. Exhaust smells rich. No CEL. Ign coils are good. Plug wires within spec resistance. No odd exhaust smoke. Never stalls. Fuel rail pressure within spec during LOP.

I've heard the fuel rail can rust internally, but can an injector clog, then magically unclog?

My guess is one of the baffles in the (original) muffler is flapping around in there, and occasionally blocks the outlet, causing excess backpressure and no flow. I could check with a backpressure gauge, but I can't really trigger the LOP.

What's your opinion?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Those champions copper? If they're not copper change em again. idc what the dodge recommendation is if they suggest platinum, don't do it.

Which 02 did you replace and with what brand? Have you reset the pcm at all after all this work? If you suspect suspect muffler you can unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds and run it for 2-3 days to see if she runs better. Will be loud but short interval like this won't burn up valves and stuff if you're not trying to race it and abuse is. If you have a bad tps it van cause similar issues as well

OP
OP
ram001

ram001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Yes, champion copper. I don't know about the o2 sensor, this is my dad's truck and a shop replaced it. The exhaust flanges are seized, I can try cutting the muffler off. I haven't scoped the TPS yet, I'll try that too. Thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I only suggested unbolting the exhaust over cutting off the muffler because of its not the muffler (i don't think it is personally) you dont gotta buy new.

No misfire codes?

OP
OP
ram001

ram001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
I was hoping to be able to unbolt it as well. It does have a rust hole, I might as well replace anyway.

No codes. And since this is >8800lbs, DRB tool is almost useless.

OP
OP
ram001

ram001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
I know this is a very old thread but wanted to give an update for people who googled these issues and found this post. It was a bad Crank position sensor. Apparently these go bad often, especially since they're only available aftermarket.

87LC2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks for posting the solution. I am having nearly the same exat issue with my 96 5.2L Ram. I ruled out the crank postion sensor because any time I had one of those fail the truck would die. Mine doesn't die, just loses power for a few seconds and it comes back. I was thinking throttle position sensor, clogged cat, or fuel delivery but sounds like I should try replacing the crank sensor and going from there. Thanks again for posting your results!

98V10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
488 V10
Appreciate the update, just ordered the crank sensor after new cam sensor didn't help. Having same symptoms on my 98 V10 unfortunately. Severe power loss, shaking/popping at idle, breaking up when accelerating, backfiring, no CEL. Will clear up a bit sometimes and take off. Starts fine. Seems to run OK until it warms up. Has sct tuner, headers, new cat, new fuel pump, used to run and sound real good.

Spamcan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Similar problem on mine. It finally quit completely. Used the Sensor Tester Plus (CP 9080 abt $30) from Sunpro and verified the crank position sensor was inop. Ordered two from China. Removed and replace same.. started right up and is still going.