Intermittent Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rainman24

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2018 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi. Intermittent starting issue. Fob turns on all accessories incld. lights, heat, radio, fuel pump, etc. I hear the click when turning the key but no actual cranking. I've been able to get it to randomly start by shifting into the N, D and back to park several times. Even rolled the truck a bit one other time and it magically started.

Had battery and starter test and they checked out fine. Battery voltage is full and so is gas tank.

Not sure if there's a fault of some kind between what gear the system think the truck is or something easier with the ignition itself and/or fob.

Also.. not sure if it's normal for Rams (first time Ram owner) but I can shift into any gear without pushing the brake even if the ignition is off.

Appreciate any thoughts....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Original battery should be replaced regardless volts, year 5 or 6 that it time. Then take step 2 if that didnt do it.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Definitely not normal to be able to shift thru your gears without the ignition in the on position let alone not pushing brake pedal. I would think you have an issue somewhere within your truck not registering your in park and not starting because of it. I wonder if you can manually move the trans shift linkage on your transmission. Maybe something has broke inside the transmission. Just spit balling ideas and maybe I’m off.