Intermittent USB Port in Center Console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I've been having trouble with Android Auto in my 2018 Big Horn with 8.4 Uconnect. Sometimes I've been getting error messages, "Android Auto did not connect please try again or try a different USB cable."

Other times it's connects properly on the first try.

I've swapped out the cable, power cycled my phone (Pixel 2XL) uninstalled/reinstalled Android Auto, etc.

My question: Has anyone else had to replace the USB port module inside the center console storage area due to intermittent connection problems?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your using a good quality cable like the Anker Powerline series I'm guessing it's more the communication and not a hardware problem. Can you unplug the phone and clear the AA warning on the phone, then it works when you try plugging it back in? I've seen once or twice this when plugging the phone in while the radio is still booting.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too bad you have to plug it in to get Android auto. Wireless is very nice to have.

Are you using the original cable that came with the phone, a cheap one from the store or a quality cable? As mentioned above it could be plugging it in while the head unit is booting up. Maybe try plugging it in after it’s booted up.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had an issue with the console USB and my thumbdrive issues. During another issue I found that all the fuses were not seated correctly at the factory. Take a look at them for the intermittent.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I have been using a cheap cable for the past two years with no problems. This connection problem has only recently shown up. It might be related to a AA update, but I doubt it.

The alternate cable I used is a Chotech cable, which I consider to be good, at least it's better than a cheapo cable. FWIW, the phone battery charges if AA doesn't connect.

I will do some experimenting with clearing the error message and retry. I know I've tried plugging it in after the head unit has been fully booted up and it has failed to connect as I've plugged the cable in while at a stoplight and other times after I've already been driving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my issue was the fuse. Replaced and it fixed it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Too bad you have to plug it in to get Android auto. Wireless is very nice to have.
There is an adapter for wireless Android Auto close to being released that will plug into the USB.

WSeanMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had this issue in my 2019. I replaced the cable with a better one and it was better for a while, then switched to the 'other' usb connection in the console. still, now and then it doesn't want to connect.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This happens only if I don't accept the Uconnect popup at startup

It will also make the parking sensors whack out and the radio or back up camera for me at least 45d7337b7ac317ec37e9ba23abf82ea3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk