Interstate Battery -- 14years, RIP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So Today prices at Costco, 179 for an H8 battery, 184 for an H7, both agm insterstate, the lead acid same warranty interstate was 146 for the H7. Yes the H8 was cheaper 50 more CCA, the CCA on the agm h7 was 850, 900 for the h8. The h8 noticeably longer 2 inches to my eye, doesnt appear to be fatter. This costco only had interstate batteries on display, they didnt even have kirkland. Don't tell costco, apparently they didnt get the memo everything is supposed to cost more now, this seams like an incredible deal for an everyday price. 15 dollar core fee for old battery. 36 mo warranty on all costco batteries.

So you can hillbilly a lead acid battery back to life with epson salt, can you extend a agm battery anyone know?

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For how long? What lifespan are you typically getting out of your batteries where you live?

I have two Optima yellow-tops that have to be approaching 10 yrs, and have had several which lasted about 10-11 years. I think that's about the most I've gotten. There gets to be a point where L/A battery plates inside are going to get like lattice-work -- all worn out. Best to just go buy another battery when they get to the end of their life ..cheap purchase compared to walking. Where we live I haven't really gotten any greater longevity out of Optima Yellow-tops than I have L/A batteries.

AGM's are great where they meet the needs, but for general driving, hard for me to justify forking out an extra $100 for like a Yellow-top. But the smaller form-factor is real nice. Maybe on my next battery I'll get an Optima again. Nice to have one around for when ya need it.

But in some climates, where battery life is low AGM's probably ARE a great investment. Esp if you can find a great price at Costco or another good deal.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interstate is NOT the same company they used to be. I had an Interstate deep cycle with a 5 year warranty. It lasted for 8-9 years! My trailer came with an identical battery and decided to check out before the two year mark. I took the battery to Interstate and they claim the warranty is only good for 12 months. They claim deep cycles are "seasonal batteries." They certainly don't charge a "seasonal battery price" for them. They also claim they the warranty has always been 12 months, but the battery I have at home has a sticker that proves otherwise. I ended up buying a Die Hard deep cycle. I have had good luck with them recently. The batteries seem heavier too.

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to make the claim 'they aren't what they used to be'. Interstate's are made by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls Inc), which has probably close to 75% of the aftermarket auto/truck battery market. Interstate is buying their premium battery ...and marketing it. It's probably the EXACT same battery as other premium batteries made by Clarios ...batteries sold under different names (Walmart??, Die Hard, and many others). The Chrysler battery which came out of my Ram had "Johnson Controls" written in small print on the label. The new battery which I bought at Walmart (because they were the only one who had it in stock at the time), looked exactly the same ...also had "Johnson Controls" in small print on the label.

Batteries are made in the Good/Better/Best format where the top batteries get more pure new lead and electrolyte, and thicker plates with more material and support structure inside.

There are many reasons which can contribute to reduced battery life.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to make the claim 'they aren't what they used to be'. Interstate's are made by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls Inc), which has probably close to 75% of the aftermarket auto/truck battery market. Interstate is buying their premium battery ...and marketing it. It's probably the EXACT same battery as other premium batteries made by Clarios ...batteries sold under different names (Walmart??, Die Hard, and many others). The Chrysler battery which came out of my Ram had "Johnson Controls" written in small print on the label. The new battery which I bought at Walmart (because they were the only one who had it in stock at the time), looked exactly the same ...also had "Johnson Controls" in small print on the label.

Batteries are made in the Good/Better/Best format where the top batteries get more pure new lead and electrolyte, and thicker plates with more material and support structure inside.

There are many reasons which can contribute to reduced battery life.

Oh I don't know. They have battery life pretty well timed out. The warranty sets the bar for the expectation of the battery life. As a buyer, you might spend a little more to get the better warranty for a battery that would presumably last longer. E.G> A battery that has a 36 month warranty is better than a 24 month battery. It's built better to last 12 months longer. Most of us would buy-up to the better batter to avoid the convenience of being stranded.

Interstate has been cutting back on that warranty (setting the bar lower) and started using terms like "seasonal batteries." You're correct regarding Johnson controls making 75% of the aftermarket batteries. So given that, Interstate lowered warranty/expectations why would you pay $139 for an Interstate when the same spec'ed Walmart battery is $79? Odds are they are made in the same factory with the same parts. As a buyer the only guarantee that it's a better built batter has been taken away. The bar was lowered to Walmart's 1-year level, however, the price was not. For that reason they are not as good as they used to be.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
We were looking a buddies early build 2017 over a few years ago,and it had a 2014 date on the battery.He'd bought the truck new,and had never changed the battery at the time
my 14 sport is still running the factory battery, it does sit in the garage all the time, so no hot sun beating down on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio