Interstate Towing Estimated MPGS 2500 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mega Cab Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 3000 plus mile pull coming up end of April. Southern Wisconsin to Southern Florida and back. Trailer is only like 9500 pounds, but is 12 feet tall. Truck is a 2021 mega cab 4x4 and currently have 1000 miles on her, no pulling yet. Trying to estimate budget for fuel, never owned a diesel like this one before ( used to pull with Titan XD 5.0 Cummins). Is it reasonable to expect a ball park 9 - 10 mpg @ 70 mph?

Appreciate info from anyone with experience in towing MPGs with their trucks.

Bob.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have 2020 3500 6.7 HO. I'm tuned and only 4000 miles. Pulling my 9500lb travel trailer 240 miles, most through the mountains and the rest on flat desert. 65mph on mountains and 70mph in the desert. 9.5 hand calculated on first trip. 10.9 hand calculated on second trip. 10.1 hand calculated on third trip using stock tune. Last trip 10.3 on the EVIC on third trip using stock and tow tune. EVIC is usually 1-1.2 mpg higher than hand calc. I haven't refueled yet since the last trip so no hand calk.

Hope this helps. I believe MPG will get better as the engine breaks in. I've read it peaks around 10,000 miles.
Your tall trailer will probably reduce your mpg. Maybe someone with more 6.7 experience will chime in on wind resistance and mpg

Edit:
At 600 miles I took a 1900 mile roundtrip all on freeways and highways, San Diego to eastern Oregon. Traveled some at 65mph but mostly at 70 and up to 95. overall MPG was 15.8

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mega Cab Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I appreciate the post John, exactly what I was looking for. Wishing it was better, but realizing weight and wind resistance are real factors.

Thank you.

Bob.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
My 13 toyhauler weighs under 12k. I get 9-10 towing in WV TN NC mountains. 11 going to Florida in relatively flat lands.

Two different Cummins trucks.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Download Garmin Base Camp. You can input everything you want an calculate everything you want. Then you can transfer it to your Garmin GPS. It's an awesome planning tool

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Download Garmin Base Camp. You can input everything you want an calculate everything you want. Then you can transfer it to your Garmin GPS. It's an awesome planning tool

I second that. I use Base Camp a lot, it's a great program for planning trips. If he doesn't have Garmin he can use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It's another great program that I use a lot. My brother makes an annual trip around the USA with his work trailer in tow. He uses Streets and Trips exclusively

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I second that. I use Base Camp a lot, it's a great program for planning trips. If he doesn't have Garmin he can use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It's another great program that I use a lot. My brother makes an annual trip around the USA with his work trailer in tow. He uses Streets and Trips exclusively
I calculated my fuel mileage when we first bought our camper. First trip with it to the races at Darlington I figured out about where I would need fuel an it worked out perfect. Base camp took all the sweatin bullets an guessing out of it. Greatest thing was being able to move it to the Garmin.

JeffN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what gear ratio do you have? 10 mpg is not unreasonable. I can get 11-12 towing but my max height trailer is 9’.

advice: install a larger fuel tank, or auxiliary tank. stopping for fuel every 3 hours and hoping you can find a station you can pull into gets old after a few days.

OP
OP
M

Mega Cab Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
JeffN

I have 3.73 rear end with 68RFE tranny in my 6.7 Cummins. Thanks for the post.

Bob.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does the Garmin Base Camp allow you to program truck stops into your route?
Put in the address an it's set. That's how I planned my first long trip for fuel