Inverter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Looking at a 22 Laramie. Missing one option I need. The 115v outlets. Dealer says they cannot be added. However, the inverter and outlets are available from Mopar parts. Pretty sure the harness in the console is pre-wired for the outlets. Not sure about the harness that feeds the inverter.

Any reason they can’t be added, assuming the lead in for the inverter is available?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wouldn't bother with the stock inverter. It's supposedly rated at 400 watts, but it's not a true sine wave generator. Some devices will not work with it. You can add your own aftermarket inverter, and since you can pick it out for yourself you can get one with the power you need for whatever you're planning to power with it. Your main limitation will be where to mount it.

OP
OP
KeithP

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Only need it for a laptop. Currently have the 115v outlets in my 19 and it serves me well. Agree, if I needed more wattage I’d be looking at it differently. I’m not a “bring on the mods” guy. I like to keep my trucks as stock as I can. May have to make an exception on this though. A lot of the 22s have the outlets deleted. Assume they are factory deletes due to lack of components.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Dealer says they cannot be added. However, the inverter and outlets are available from Mopar parts.
First words from most dealerships about adding factory options after the fact.
The one hold up might be if the outlet will need to have it enabled in the BCM. It might be possible with AlfaOBD or if the sales code can be determined you might be able to convince the dealership to enable it.

OP
OP
KeithP

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
First words from most dealerships about adding factory options after the fact.
The one hold up might be if the outlet will need to have it enabled in the BCM. It might be possible with AlfaOBD or if the sales code can be determined you might be able to convince the dealership to enable it.
They would be willing to add OEM bed lights and OEM trailer brake controller if I wanted them so not sure it’s b/c it’s an OEM item.

I was not doubting him until he said the alternator would have to be changed. It’s an eTorque truck so……no alternator, a 48v motor/generator. I pointed that out but he stuck with his story. I’m wondering if it really can’t be done and the real reason why, if there is one.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They would be willing to add OEM bed lights and OEM trailer brake controller if I wanted them so not sure it’s b/c it’s an OEM item.

I was not doubting him until he said the alternator would have to be changed. It’s an eTorque truck so……no alternator, a 48v motor/generator. I pointed that out but he stuck with his story. I’m wondering if it really can’t be done and the real reason why, if there is one.
The reason the bed lights and brake controller can be added by the dealer is because there are mopar kits for those.
You can add the factory inverter and outlets, and AlfaOBD will enable them no problem. But, none of the wiring and connectors are present for them on non equipped trucks.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only need it for a laptop.
Another option to consider is picking up a laptop power supply that takes either 110 volts or 12 volts to run the laptop. That is what I use and I've never used the 110-volt inverter in my trucks.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
You can buy a step up transformer to get the voltage you need for the laptop OR you could just install a small inverter yourself via a spare fused source on the fuse box.

OP
OP
KeithP

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
The reason the bed lights and brake controller can be added by the dealer is because there are mopar kits for those.
You can add the factory inverter and outlets, and AlfaOBD will enable them no problem. But, none of the wiring and connectors are present for them on non equipped trucks.
That’s what I was thinking but not what I was told.