IOD fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgaither0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 4x4 sport
Engine
I'm trying to figure out what is causing my IOD fuse to keep blowing. This is my first post on this site as I just joined. I've posted on another site before and got a few ideas. So here is what I've tried so far. I unplugged the light harness under the hood. No success. I took the radio out and looked at the wiring harness and found some exposed wires. I taped them and no success. I've tried to look over the wires and havnt really found anything wrong. It was alos suggested to me to remove the sensors in the door jams and see if this solves the problem? The IOD sensor is controlling my overhead dome lights, my radio, and my lights under the hood and my PCU port so I can't pull any codes from the computer. Any ideas would be awesome. I'm looking forward to this forum

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Everything powered by the IOD fuse
iodfuse.jpg

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
all those spots listed that are powered by the IOD and just trace the wires to see if there are any shorts

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I would bet you have a shorted wire somewhere . It is going to be a pain to find but you can do it . Let us know how it all worked out . Welcome to RF

OP
OP
M

mgaither0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 4x4 sport
Engine
yeah im not to big of a fan when it comes to electrical. Almost anything else I will spend days on no problem but electrical is something I dont no crap about.

OP
OP
M

mgaither0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 4x4 sport
Engine
I'm hoping to hit it up tomorrow and figure it out or I mite bite the bullet and pay the shop

Wrenchagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v diesel
Hi, I'm new here too, and I found the board by Googling IOD keeps blowing.Some post were helpful but mostly the one that said keep looking you can find it. I did find my short, it was the main plug for the power seats under the driver side. It was all burned up. To find it I got a circuit breaker and put a couple leads on it to put in where the IOD goes. I put one side in and only touched the other side only for a second as to not over heat anything. I first IDed the CD player spin up and ruled it out, but I heard another click which was the seat belt lock. I needed to replace a driver seat motor anyway so I began taking the seat apart and found the burned plug. I'll be replacing that plug but for now butt connectors are doing the job and my short is fixed. I probably lucked out but agree that tracing wires that go through metal parts or clustered are good places to track.
Good luck, and thanks for other suggestions.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
mgaither0 did you get you problem figured out?

Wrenchagain - welcome to the site, nice job on finding your solution

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome to the site both of yall. Keep us in the loop if you find it or need more info.

cdhayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24 valve cummins 5.9
I know this is a old list but i may have just run across somthing that will help alot of people out. I pulled my dash back yesterday to fix an ac drainage problem when i put it back together almost nothing ib my cab worked i traced it down to an iod problem it left me puzzled for a while seein how it never blew the fuse so i started taking things apart to find a lossed conection and of all places to look behind the cluster panel there is a plug that looks like it has a cap on it the cap is actually a jumper when i pulled the cluster out i found the jumper laying behind it somehow it came off the plug when i pluged it in everything started working as it should this may be a good place for others to check for shorts in wires or the jumper or just un pluged like mine

Txmechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a old post but I just ran in to this problem today as well and have looked at most of the wires and under the seat but haven’t found anything that stands out