iPhone 11 intermittent connection issues 2017 Ram 1500 UConnect 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talltimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Searching here and not seeing this specific issue discussed:

BLUF: Audio connection from iPhone 11 to UConnect 8.4 only works randomly.

2017 RAM 1500, U-Connect 8.4

When I get in the truck my habit is to plug my phone in first then start the truck. About 1 out of 5 times it starts playing from my playlist on the phone. The rest of the time it does not. I'm not a big highfidelty-have-to-have-my-playlist guy - but I do like to listen to Audible. It's frustrating to only have is work on occasion - especially if I'm on a 4 hour drive or such.

Additional symptoms with the phone specifically: Siri sometimes takes a while to function. If I understand that's always bluetooth and not through the USB connection? Siri usually works for phone calls (I primarily use 'her' for phone calls and quite frequently), but any other audio bluetooth from my iPhone never functions - ever. The UConnect 8.4 phone app never works. It wants to start, thinks about it, then says "Cancelled". Piling on to that, my navigation saves about on in 25 addresses I put in, and won't let me program my home address. Well - my new home address. It does have my old home address. In the recently found section it has addresses I've put in since buying the truck in July 2020, but almost never an actually recent one.

This has been going on for probably a year.

Things I have done:
- iPhone 11 OS is up to date.
- Tried variety of cables, including certified Apply Cable.
- Followed the instructions here on UConnect software update, when I entered my VIN the link said my firmware is up to date.
- "Reset' the system with the magic key on push the button open the door close the door back on etc etc sequence.
- Dealer offered $150 to diagnose, but not ready to plunk down $ if it's something I can do myself easily enough.

I'm a SysAdmin in real life - so I know something about software and firmware, and feel like this is a computer asking for more than a reboot - maybe corrupt apps or OS? I'm DIY competent, but not super techie - and ready to accept full responsibility for operator ignorance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Searching here and not seeing this specific issue discussed:

BLUF: Audio connection from iPhone 11 to UConnect 8.4 only works randomly.

2017 RAM 1500, U-Connect 8.4

When I get in the truck my habit is to plug my phone in first then start the truck. About 1 out of 5 times it starts playing from my playlist on the phone. The rest of the time it does not. I'm not a big highfidelty-have-to-have-my-playlist guy - but I do like to listen to Audible. It's frustrating to only have is work on occasion - especially if I'm on a 4 hour drive or such.

Additional symptoms with the phone specifically: Siri sometimes takes a while to function. If I understand that's always bluetooth and not through the USB connection? Siri usually works for phone calls (I primarily use 'her' for phone calls and quite frequently), but any other audio bluetooth from my iPhone never functions - ever. The UConnect 8.4 phone app never works. It wants to start, thinks about it, then says "Cancelled". Piling on to that, my navigation saves about on in 25 addresses I put in, and won't let me program my home address. Well - my new home address. It does have my old home address. In the recently found section it has addresses I've put in since buying the truck in July 2020, but almost never an actually recent one.

This has been going on for probably a year.

Things I have done:
- iPhone 11 OS is up to date.
- Tried variety of cables, including certified Apply Cable.
- Followed the instructions here on UConnect software update, when I entered my VIN the link said my firmware is up to date.
- "Reset' the system with the magic key on push the button open the door close the door back on etc etc sequence.
- Dealer offered $150 to diagnose, but not ready to plunk down $ if it's something I can do myself easily enough.

I'm a SysAdmin in real life - so I know something about software and firmware, and feel like this is a computer asking for more than a reboot - maybe corrupt apps or OS? I'm DIY competent, but not super techie - and ready to accept full responsibility for operator ignorance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Have you checked the firmware level of the radio itself?

OP
OP
T

talltimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Software Version: 16.51.19
NaviServer: 9.10.32.679189
Map Database: FCAVP4NA;V7

Is that what I'm looking for? Does Request Code or HU Part or Serial number get me anything?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Software Version: 16.51.19
NaviServer: 9.10.32.679189
Map Database: FCAVP4NA;V7

Is that what I'm looking for? Does Request Code or HU Part or Serial number get me anything?

Yep, you're going to want to get to firmware 18.45.01. You can find the files in this thread.

OP
OP
T

talltimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to be a dunce about this - but I'm reading through that thread and I downloaded TSB 08-89-19 FOTA RAM v18.45.01.pdf and read through that and feel almost as clueless as when I began. I did not see a link to a firmware update file for my 2017 RAM - there were several that clearly exclaimed "2014 ONLY!"

I bought my truck in July 2019 from a dealer that was not a MOPAR dealer. I don't know if this throws a wrinkle in the mix, but when I looked up the window sticker it was in French - my truck was originally delivered to Quebec (that's actually why I got such a deal on it - the priced it w/79000 miles when the ODO was actually ready 79000KMs). Anyway...there are 460 replies the the update thread - I admit I'd rather avoid reading them all. I'm capable of downloaded a file on copying to a thumbdrive to update - I just struggle with finding concise directions even here.