iPhone incompatible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, maybe on yours you do but on mine, the only thing I have to pay extra for is the Uconnect services which is separate from that. On mine it’s all done through the Apple CarPlay and the android auto when it’s plugged into the truck through USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018's have CarPlay, I am talking about older 8.4's, they did not come with CarPlay, voice to text is a component of Uconnect service.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018's have CarPlay, I am talking about older 8.4's, they did not come with CarPlay, voice to text is a component of Uconnect service.

I figured you were but I would think that as long as you had your phone connected that you could still have that feature without having to pay extra for it. But hell, I would love for that text to speech crap to be something I’d have to pay extra for because I definitely wouldn’t be paying for it! I love the ability to be able to plug my phone in and be able to project my Google Maps and Apple maps onto the big screen but I sure hate it like wildfire when ever I get a text and I have to click on it a certain way just to keep it from speaking my text contents over the radio. I wish there was a way I could completely turn that portion off and leave the rest of my CarPlay capabilities the way they are but I haven’t yet figured out how to do it so I just make sure I unlock my phone first, and not click on the text notification, and just go straight to my text message app to keep it from being a nuisance.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Certain radios in Ram trucks ain’t compatible with Apple because of a conflict between the two companies due to licensing agreements. That’s in the 17’s and below. My (2018)5.0 ain’t compatible with Applefor texts. I do get to use the Bluetooth for my music and to talk but text is outta the question. Now the 8.4 are compatible in the 18’s and up.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Certain radios in Ram trucks ain’t compatible with Apple because of a conflict between the two companies due to licensing agreements. That’s in the 17’s and below. My (2018)5.0 ain’t compatible with Applefor texts. I do get to use the Bluetooth for my music and to talk but text is outta the question. Now the 8.4 are compatible in the 18’s and up.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

The 8.4's are all compatible, the non-CarPlay models require an additional service, CarPlay models do not.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But hell, I would love for that text to speech crap to be something I’d have to pay extra for because I definitely wouldn’t be paying for it! I love the ability to be able to plug my phone in and be able to project my Google Maps and Apple maps onto the big screen but I sure hate it like wildfire when ever I get a text and I have to click on it a certain way just to keep it from speaking my text contents over the radio. I wish there was a way I could completely turn that portion off and leave the rest of my CarPlay capabilities the way they are but I haven’t yet figured out how to do it so I just make sure I unlock my phone first, and not click on the text notification, and just go straight to my text message app to keep it from being a nuisance.

Try: Settings -> General -> Notifications -> Messages -> disable "Show in CarPlay"

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The 8.4's are all compatible, the non-CarPlay models require an additional service, CarPlay models do not.

Now I understand better. Sorry I was mislead on the operating system.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not quite true, you can still receive texts and have the radio read them out loud without the uconnect service... I do it everyday and I have a 2014 with the RA3. Then I use the "siri" function to reply to the text messages.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not quite true, you can still receive texts and have the radio read them out loud without the uconnect service... I do it everyday and I have a 2014 with the RA3. Then I use the "siri" function to reply to the text messages.

Yeah, this is a feature of the phone, and what OS you are on. But it isn't a compatibility issue with the 8.4.

It isn't quite executed the same way as carplay/voice to text, but it is definitely a way around the requirement of uconnect service.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, this is a feature of the phone, and what OS you are on. But it isn't a compatibility issue with the 8.4.

It isn't quite executed the same way as carplay/voice to text, but it is definitely a way around the requirement of uconnect service.

Yes, it's a way to do it without paying for the service.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have a 2015 / 2500 with uconnect and my iPhone has been working since 2015. I'm thinking there's a setup you're missing somewhere.

OP
OP
Jacamp

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2015 / 2500 with uconnect and my iPhone has been working since 2015. I'm thinking there's a setup you're missing somewhere.
Well, it's my friends truck and I wasnt aware that she didnt get all the bells and whistles. According to her book, what she has is not compatible with iphone. So she is kind of upset. But, who knew. Thanks for your input. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, it's my friends truck and I wasnt aware that she didnt get all the bells and whistles. According to her book, what she has is not compatible with iphone. So she is kind of upset. But, who knew. Thanks for your input. [emoji4]

Can you get her VIN? We can then look up the original build sheet to see what she has.

OP
OP
Jacamp

Jacamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can you get her VIN? We can then look up the original build sheet to see what she has.
I can ask her for it. I'll get back with you. Thanks!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
technically the iphone is incompatible with the uconnect texting. For the people saying it works fine for me, well yes because you are using the siri eyes free feature not the uconnect texting. Like stated previously only trucks that DO NOT have Apple car play or Andriod Auto require you to have a uconnect access subscription to speak texts. Without the subscription you can only reply with pre-written responses which is useless IMO. This only works with android phones because Apple won't grant the right MAP (Message Access Profile) premissions for Bluetooth

If you have a radio that has car play when the Iphone is plugged in the texting uses siri directly through car play, when just connected through bluetooth the texting uses just siri eyes free and doesn't show anything on the screen

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
technically the iphone is incompatible with the uconnect texting. For the people saying it works fine for me, well yes because you are using the siri eyes free feature not the uconnect texting. Like stated previously only trucks that DO NOT have Apple car play or Andriod Auto require you to have a uconnect access subscription to speak texts. Without the subscription you can only reply with pre-written responses which is useless IMO. This only works with android phones because Apple won't grant the right MAP (Message Access Profile) premissions for Bluetooth

If you have a radio that has car play when the Iphone is plugged in the texting uses siri directly through car play, when just connected through bluetooth the texting uses just siri eyes free and doesn't show anything on the screen

A better way of saying what I meant earlier. For 8.4's before Carplay/Android auto you needed uconnect service to do voice texting. Siri is a way around it, but it technically is not voice texting.

Real voice to text uses the vehicles voice, and can integrates with the screen. Using Siri or google assistant only uses the microphone and speakers but is run through the phones OS, not the 8.4's OS.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi