iPhone vs USB Source 1 & 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
My iPhone will not plan music hardwired through USB Source 1 or 2, it will play via AppleCarplay Bluetooth. USB's will charge the phone so I know the ports are working. It does not make sense that music can only be played by bluetooth when hardwired is always the preferred method.

Is this operating as intended? Or, is something not working correctly?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
It should play.

Are you using a good cord or a budget Amazon knock-off?

Regardless, try a different cord as that usually seems to be the problem. The phone and radio can be picky about the cord.

I only use Apple cords and sometimes I still get fits. I change the cord and all is good to go. I have a couple that I swap between - when one starts acting up I swap back to the other cord.

OP
OP
D

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
It should play.

Are you using a good cord or a budget Amazon knock-off?

Regardless, try a different cord as that usually seems to be the problem. The phone and radio can be picky about the cord.

I only use Apple cords and sometimes I still get fits. I change the cord and all is good to go. I have a couple that I swap between - when one starts acting up I swap back to the other cord.
Sorry for the slow reply, I've tried a couple of different Apple OEM cords, still nothing plays hardwired. Its not a huge deal accept that the sound quality will be better not using bluetooth.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It may be the IPhone IOS. Do you know what version you’re on? I’m on 15.2.1, wife is the same, and we have no issues playing into the Ram or her Civic. We don’t bother with Bluetooth , always USB. I suspect the problem is with the phone and not your truck.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Did it ever play through the cable?

Not sure if your truck is under warranty but I have read of some that have had USB hub/unit problems or that the USB hub wasn't connected correctly at the factory.

OP
OP
D

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Did it ever play through the cable?

Not sure if your truck is under warranty but I have read of some that have had USB hub/unit problems or that the USB hub wasn't connected correctly at the factory.
No, has never played through the cable. I'll definitely have the dealer take a look.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any update on this? I have the same issue with my 22 Rebel.

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Only issue I ever had was a random disconnect when I moved my iPhone. Not sure why? I don't know if it's my iPhone, the brand new cable, or the connection port on the truck. I have updated the power cord to a USB-C and haven't seen an issue yet.