Is 5k over sticker a good price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
From Dean2: "Never get a Woody for a specific vehicle, the salesman can spot a, "I just got the have it now" buyer a mile off." Originally went to test drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the I saw her, sleek silver and chrome 2021 Limited. I studied the window sticker, virtually every feature I wanted, except multi-function tailgate. My wife saw me giving the engine compartment a hug and said "this is what you really want!". In my best trembling and whimpering voice, I said "YES"! I got the Woody and was spotted by the enemy. He tried the 5K markup, but I held my ground by stating "The 5K isn't on the window sticker!" The enemy withdrew and I paid MSRP. That's life these days at the dealership. However, kudos to all you good folks that have found ways to pay below MSRP and avoided the 5K markup

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have an opportunity to buy a brand new hydro blue trx. The dealer wants 5k over sticker. Is that good for an in stock vehicle?
Irefuse to pay over sticker price I don't car what it is. It's all greedy dealers that are hurting all the great dealers. Don't pay anything above sticker.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As soon as this so called shortage is over and the bottom falls out, folks who over payed are going to be shocked at how the value of there vehicles have dropped.

Dragula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know getting a new truck is one of the greatest things in life, but people need to stop paying ridiculous amounts of money for them. Do NOT ever pay over MSRP. Even if you have the money, don’t let these dealers win.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Auto sales people are the absolute **** of the earth, in my book. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
The salesperson will give you the deal that the sales manager dictates and approves.
So when your negotiation skills fail to move that number, the sales person is the **** of the earth in your opinion.
And you are entitled to that opinion but consider this -
The dealer salespeople and managers do this everyday all day long and year after year.
That's a ton of knowledge of the car business and retail sales experience.
Your salesperson may be selling 20 cars a month while you are out to buy your first vehicle in 5 years.
It never was a level playing field.
One guy goes home thinking he got a bad deal, another brags to friends about the great deal he got.
What is a good deal; what is a bad deal ?
No one has ever known. It's PERCEPTION determined by the buyer.

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an opportunity to buy a brand new hydro blue trx. The dealer wants 5k over sticker. Is that good for an in stock vehicle?
Cthe idea is to get them as far as you can below sticker price.

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The salesperson will give you the deal that the sales manager dictates and approves.
So when your negotiation skills fail to move that number, the sales person is the **** of the earth in your opinion.
The dealer salespeople and managers do this everyday all day long and year after year.
Your salesperson may be selling 20 cars a month while you are out to buy your first vehicle in 5 years.
One guy goes home thinking he got a bad deal, another brags to friends about the great deal he got.
I always look up Kelly blue book.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Good deal versus bad is truly NOT just a matter of perception. Yes, the dealership staff do this way more often than any consumer. Many who have been screwed over Royally go away thinking they got a great deal. That is just a sign of more practiced Dealerships that have learned how to screw over as many as they can get away with. The other type of Dealerships are run on the up and up. They are a place that earns a fair return for the Dealership and a fair deal for the client.

I audited more than enough dealerships to easily identify which were which. All you had to do was look at the deal sheets for a few months. Talking to the owners and the Sales Managers made it even clearer, in just how they talked about their clients. It was easy to identify short term thinking versus building a long term reputation and client base. This shows up in lots of other businesses but the proportion of slime balls in Car sales truly is higher than the average.

Research and knowing what a new vehicle costs to order on line, or other used vehicles like the one you want are selling for, is only the initial starting place. What they can do to you in the finance office and up-sold products can quickly turn a good deal into a true hose job. My one piece of advice, NEVER buy ANYTHING from the dealer except the vehicle and pay VERY close attention to the interest rate, term etc of the financing if you do that through them.

Last edited:

DWDurr57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009/2022
Engine
6.7 diesel
I ordered my truck in December with everything you can put on a truck (except the sun roof) and waited til April to get it. Paid $3k under MSRP and the dealer honored the price quoted in December (price increased $6k) and the sales rep spent over 2 hrs in the parking lot to make sure I knew how everything worked, he even gave me his cell number in case I had additional questions. Good dealers do exist sadly we have to look for them. Normadin Dodge /Jeep in San Jose CA gets my business!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What it is going to come down to for you is do you want and need it now or can you wait to order. If you can wait, something to keep in mind is due to covid and continuing supply chain issues custom ordering is not the same as it used to be. You can luck out and get it in a decent amount of time or you could wait up to 11 months. Once you answer that question you can decide what is best for you.

Realistically with the TRX you are just not going to be able to get one on the lot for less than msrp no matter how good your negotiation skill are, and right now you are lucky IF you can get one on the lot at msrp. The used market has come down a little but it's still close to the cost of a new TRX.

You should also join Shaggy's TRX forum. trx-forum.com

Last edited:

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Good deal versus bad is truly NOT just a matter of perception. Yes, the dealership staff do this way more often than any consumer. Many who have been screwed over Royally go away thinking they got a great deal. That is just a sign of more practiced Dealerships that have learned how to screw over as many as they can get away with. The other type of Dealerships are run on the up and up. They are a place that earns a fair return for the Dealership and a fair deal for the client.

I audited more than enough dealerships to easily identify which were which. All you had to do was look at the deal sheets for a few months. Talking to the owners and the Sales Managers made it even clearer, in just how they talked about their clients. It was easy to identify short term thinking versus building a long term reputation and client base. This shows up in lots of other businesses but the proportion of slime balls in Car sales truly is higher than the average.

Research and knowing what a new vehicle costs to order on line, or other used vehicles like the one you want are selling for, is only the initial starting place. What they can do to you in the finance office and up-sold products can quickly turn a good deal into a true hose job. My one piece of advice, NEVER buy ANYTHING from the dealer except the vehicle and pay VERY close attention to the interest rate, term etc of the financing if you do that through them.
So you do a "dealer audit" that comprises looking over months of "deal sheets", talking with managers and owners to make "your assessment" of who's naughty and who's nice.
And you perform this service for who ?
And dealers spill their guts to you ...why ??
And why have I never heard of this "service" from anyone or seen it in action in 35 years in the business ?
You leave many clues in your writing that indicates to me that you have an elementary understanding of car dealers .... Oh, and you just made that whole story up !!

Fiermn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L pentastar
Stop paying over sticker for anything. These high prices are nothing more than those selling are using Covid as a fake reason to sell for excessive profits. I have never paid even sticker price for a new vehicle, that includes last year when I bough a new truck. If no one buys, the prices will fall back to what they should be.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So you do a "dealer audit" that comprises looking over months of "deal sheets", talking with managers and owners to make "your assessment" of who's naughty and who's nice.
And you perform this service for who ?
And dealers spill their guts to you ...why ??
And why have I never heard of this "service" from anyone or seen it in action in 35 years in the business ?
You leave many clues in your writing that indicates to me that you have an elementary understanding of car dealers .... Oh, and you just made that whole story up !!
In Canada at least, many dealers use bank financing for their used inventory and a few even use it for new vehicle inventory for vehicles that have gone into curtailment. To do that kind of financing you do in fact have to do monthly or every two month audits of the inventory. The service is about lending the dealership money, and part of doing that is fully understanding the client you are lending to so yes you talk to the owners and some of the senior staff when setting up the financing and at the annual reviews.

No idea how dealer financing works south of the border. You are free to believe me or not, really don't care. The opinion of anyone who doesn't sign my pay cheque or sleep with me is pretty much irrelevant. Have a nice day.

Power Wagon Chief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
Well not a TRX but recently ordered a 2022 Jail Break in PA (Muncy). The dealer didn't gouge but only came down about $750 from MSRP. I'm hoping Dodge builds it.

pjs386

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where's the turnip truck you just fell off? Seriously, $5G over MSRP is a total ripoff. Find another dealer; don't fall in love with that particular truck or there's no hope for you.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
IMO I would tell them to P iss off lol No way would I pay that much over Cost !
As mentioned shop around use the car selling sights and the RAM site to get a better deal
If they shaft you now they will also shaft you later IMO

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Jeep Wranglers, Ford Broncos and Mavericks getting top dollar. Can see why Stellantis is looking at producing a smaller truck.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I have a lot of stuff I would be happy to sell you at 5-15 percent more than they are worth!!! Come on DOWN. Don't give them a reason to gouge! I just bought a used Ram. Same vehicle up here (New York State area) would have been 29K. Found mine on line in WV. They wanted 22.5K. Called them on the phone on a Thur. mid day and asked if is was still for sale, they said yes. My response "I will be there between 3-4 pm tomorrow with cash". "If it looks like it does in the ad, I'll take it". Went to bank made arrangements. The reason I did it that way was in the hopes they would not sell it before I got there AND I would only have expense money invested, not a deposit I could not get back. At 6AM Friday morning got on my Victory Motorcycle and headed south. Took my Roybi circular saw and drill. There was a home Depot 2 miles from the car dealer in case I needed to build ramps. Got there at 3:30 ( even stopped at Bob's in Bainbridge NY for a nice sit down breakfast). It was Spotless (Inside, outside, and underneath)- SOLD. Put the bike on a flat bed, back up to it with my new Ram, loaded it and tied it down. They installed a set of 60 day temp. WV paper plates and I drove home. Cost - an extra $250 dollars in food and fuel. and a nice ride to WV and back. Total time 19 hours! They are out there ya just got to look. Can tell you what I bought if ya want, but chances are it is not what you want, and the point is - find someone that wants your business NOT JUST YOUR MONEY. "SUGGESTED" retail is a far price for all involved -seller/buyer- it is not a mandatory max price. So in the long spend what you want for what you want. If you want new maybe order? It's your money give it away if you want to, I am sure they will be happy to take it. But as prices come back to earth, the extra you spend will not come back to you, as a trade or resell in the future.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Looks like TRX king is a 1 hit wonder lol, Has not posted anything since Sept. 19

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Looks like TRX king is a 1 hit wonder lol, Has not posted anything since Sept. 19
I am getting to the point where I rarely reply to first posts because so many of the OPs just disappear after one post. I also wonder if these kinds of posts are just Troll jobs to see if they can wind up the regular members, which he most certainly did on this one.