Is a PW right for me?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO its a probably quite a bit cheaper to stiffen up the suspension on a power wagon (if needed) than to add gears/lockers/winch/swaybar etc. to a regular 2500.

I kinda look at the power wagon as a 1 ton truck with half ton suspension. My half ton ram has more payload than my power wagon.

I have a ‘16 laramie power wagon that I bought brand new over 5 years ago. Been a damn good truck to me. I dont tow or haul heavy, but I do use it for towing. Have an 8000 pound travel trailer that i drag around with it and it works just fine.

I did add bags/cradles years ago after I leveled the truck so it didnt look like i was sagging *** whenever I towed something. Those work wonderful and have been flawless. Not a single issue with them. And i beat the truck pretty hard in the dunes during the summers (the bumpstops definitely get used lol).

You must be registered for see images attach

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I agree with @olyelr

I would get the Powerwagon. It will be what you need on a farm. And it will haul and tow the things you want. You just have to realize you will not head down the highway at 80 and feel good. Hell, I stopped using the highway...because of people who feel safe towing too large campers at 80.

You can easily make up for what the Powerwagon lacks...with common sense and some aids. It takes a lot to make a regular 2500 do what a Powerwagon does, and then again you will be giving up that capability anyways.

The only reason....the only one...the one and only reason I do not have a Powerwagon is 8 foot bed. If you are getting the short bed any ways...get the Powerwagon.

Short bed

Vs
Longbed

Short

Vs
Long

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Earlier this year, I ordered and received a '21 Power Wagon tradesman. I did not fully appreciate how much the size and weight would reduce off-road ability as compared to my wrangler, even with the disconnects and lockers. Granted, the disco's and locker make a big, big difference. Within a couple of weeks, I stuck the PW with lockers engaged in a field with some surprise mud and on another occasion, high centered it on a steep breakover climb. Both of these errors were may fault of course but in both situations, I was taken by surprise. Apparently, "Power Wagon does care." I hopped in the Wrangler and pulled out the big beast out of both, no problem, and it has an open diff in the front. Also, at the beach, I was again surprised how the PW wanted to wallow in the soft sand like a happy piggie in mud, but the Wrangler floated on top of it with grace and ease.

Looking back, for the needs I have for the PW now, I would have been better off going with a diesel 2500 for about the same price, and using the Wrangler for anything off-road more than fire roads. That, and the Wrangler rides so much better off-road.

However, there is just something great about owning and driving a Power Wagon that brings a smile to my face all the time. It is a unique and somewhat rare truck. I find myself unconsciously issuing Tim Allen grunts as I drive along. "ohhh ohhh ohhh ohhh"

Last edited:

BradN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree with @olyelr

I would get the Powerwagon. It will be what you need on a farm. And it will haul and tow the things you want. You just have to realize you will not head down the highway at 80 and feel good. Hell, I stopped using the highway...because of people who feel safe towing too large campers at 80.

You can easily make up for what the Powerwagon lacks...with common sense and some aids. It takes a lot to make a regular 2500 do what a Powerwagon does, and then again you will be giving up that capability anyways.

The only reason....the only one...the one and only reason I do not have a Powerwagon is 8 foot bed. If you are getting the short bed any ways...get the Powerwagon.

Short bed

Vs
Longbed

Short

Vs
Long
What he said.
From your post you indicated that you plan hard farm work for a limited time. After that it's more standard truck stuff with an emphasis on fun.
That's what the PW' was built for.
While it may not be optimal for the farm work, it'll get you through it.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah you can air bag a PW and they are fine. The issue I have with mine is that the 6 speed mated with bigger tires isn't ideal. it hunts for gears quite a bit. Toss it in 4 and it'll tow all day. I'm looking for something that'll tow a bit better but still in a gas engine. The issue one has to get over is the cool factor of a power wagon. But in the end it's just a winch, decals lockers that honestly don't work great and different radius arms. Theres some other bits but not much.