Is it a Rebel or Sport? Help needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keyonthagod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a Ram 1500, but I don't know if it is a Sport or Rebel. The truck was sold out of Canada originally. The seller listed the truck as a 2019 Ram Rebel. However, the truck lacks the Rebel badging, grill, and tires. When you check Carfax, KBB, and my insurance quote based on VIN they all list the truck as Rebel. The dealer that was selling the truck listed as a Rebel. The title list the truck as a Rebel as well. The badging on the truck says Sport on the exterior and interior. When I check the original window sticker the truck is listed as 2019 Ram Sport 1500 Crew Cab 4X4. Immediately below that title it show the base price as 61,545. Most interestingly next to the base price it shows Ram 1500 Sport/Rebel. Honestly, it isn't a big deal. The truck can fully equipped with the features I wanted, but people love to ask which trim is it and I can't give a good answer. Help if you can. Ram 1500.1.PNG

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sport was a Canadian only trim. At 5th Gen rams there are a few threads about this. For some reason they listed it rebel and made some angry discussions.

But ultimately it is a cheaper way for the Canadian market to get a truck people wanted. Something they offered with the 4th Gen up there that the put together to sell with the 5th Gen. Can not link to tbr 5th Gen site here or I would post the links to the discussion.

So you got. A Sport. Nothing more nothing less

OP
OP
K

Keyonthagod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks that helps very much. I was able to check the page out. The Rebel and Sport share the same Vin Identifiers in Canada. They posted a link to verify which model you have on the Ram Website. Funny thing is, the link still reports the truck as a rebel. Some my title will say Rebel, but my truck is a sport. Only Mopar could pull this off. Check it out here: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/results.html?vin=1C6SRFLT6KN857363

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Window sticker calls out "Front ventilated seats (not available with Rebel)" - so the question I have is - does your truck have ventilated seats? Based on your answer, I would say: Yes - Sport, No - Rebel. Although, I thought the Rebel got a full size spare and AT tires, neither of which I see. Let's just blame Canada...

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Window sticker calls out "Front ventilated seats (not available with Rebel)" - so the question I have is - does your truck have ventilated seats? Based on your answer, I would say: Yes - Sport, No - Rebel. Although, I thought the Rebel got a full size spare and AT tires, neither of which I see. Let's just blame Canada...
You can just blame Canada. As mentioned above...Sport is a Canadian only trim on the 2019 Ram 1500

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Do the 5th gens still have a startup logo on the instrument cluster? My 4th gen Sport has a "sport" logo on the cluster when I start the truck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's not a Rebel. It does not have the Bilstein shocks or skid plates. Doesn't the Rebel also come standard with an e-locker? And as mentioned it has ventilated seats, which are not available in a Rebel. Add to that the fact that it doesn't have the Rebel grille tells me it's not a Rebel.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A couple of years ago, the Sport Ram may have only been available up in Canada

Sort of like the SLT ( Standard Luxury Trim ) was only available in the USA, Canada used different letters

GWhitney

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same truck with a few differences (no air suspension). I think of it as closer to a Laramie than a Rebel because it is loaded with options not available on the rebel and is missing the off-road components standard on the rebel in the newer models. I would have purchased a Laramie if I could have found one with the options but the market would not produce.

OP
OP
K

Keyonthagod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called a Canadian Dealership and provided them with my Vin Number. They stated that my Truck was a Rebel. I emailed of a few photos to show how the appearance was far from a Rebel and the guy informed that the vehicle had a Sport Package, but the truck was built as a Rebel. He stated that both the 2019 & 2020 Ram 1500 Sports are Rebels and that the standalone trim name was not assigned until 2021 on the 5th Generation Models. He said that either name was ok, but if they were to resale the same vehicle they would list it as a Sport but a few of the dealerships around still do list it as a Rebel. He also shared how he expects that this issue is likely to continue happening with Mopar vehicles now that they have created the GT Sub-trim models. The 2021 GT's will be either a Laramie or Rebel, but later eventually could be sold as a standalone GT Trim in the future. However, the earlier version would still be a Laramie or Rebel and would not take on the name change when tracking by Vin. It is clear to me that my Ram is a 1500 Sport, but officially it is a Ram 1500 Rebel and that is what will appear on everything that uses the Vin Number to identify. I won't blame Canada on this one, I will blame Mopar. This is was not an oversight, the repeated the same thing in multiple years. My truck is Much Closer to a Laramie than a Rebel. I was actually in the market for a Laramie, but when searching I added Rebel and Limited to the trim models. I was almost sure that this seller has listed the truck wrong and that it was a Laramie until I went to see it. My conclusion as stated above the Truck is a Sport, but it is one heck of a Sport. They way it came equipped I would have bought it regardless of the trim, except maybe tradesman because it won't be used as a work truck.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I always thought it was strange that Ram offered a Sport for Canada only. But that's another story. Calling things something other than what they are seems to be in vogue these days. Just because a truck identifies as a Rebel doesn't make it a Rebel. I could go on but I don't want to violate any forum policies LOL.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's as simple as this, there are lots of things which are unique to the Rebel (Tires, interior, Bilstein shocks, etc...), but arguably the single most obvious thing which defines a Rebel is the grille. It's not a Rebel without that.

5th gen Rebel.png

5th gen Sport.JPG

OP
OP
K

Keyonthagod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day this was shared by the Manufacturer. You are welcome to Call Chrysler Canada or Chrysler USA, the results will be the same. This is also unique to Canada. On the Spec SheRT it clearly identifies the Equipment groups as a Rebel 2 Equipment Group. RFL in the VIN represents Rebel & Rebel Sport. This is true for 2019 & 2020 Models. 2021 models are assiged a different VIN sequence.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It seems that you have some kind of hybrid then. I'm not sure at this point what you have, but it's definitely not a true Rebel. Wrong wheels/tires, wrong shocks, wrong badging, wrong grille. Seems strange that they would list that as a Rebel at all. I'm going to assume your gauge cluster and dash badges say Ram or Sport, and not Rebel. Could make ordering parts a little bit challenging for you.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
He has a Canadian only SPORT trim. It was an after thought VIN numbered the same as a Rebel...because canadians where upset they lost their sport trim.

It has nothing to do with a Rebel other than VIN sequence.

SPORT trim does not come standard with anything that a Rebel comes standard with.

It is kinda like the express option on a 4th Gen tradesman. Just a way to package some things to make it more affordable.

We covered this in the first few posts.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems that you have some kind of hybrid then. I'm not sure at this point what you have, but it's definitely not a true Rebel. Wrong wheels/tires, wrong shocks, wrong badging, wrong grille. Seems strange that they would list that as a Rebel at all. I'm going to assume your gauge cluster and dash badges say Ram or Sport, and not Rebel. Could make ordering parts a little bit challenging for you.
He has a Canadian only SPORT trim. It was an after thought VIN numbered the same as a Rebel...because canadians where upset they lost their sport trim.

It has nothing to do with a Rebel other than VIN sequence.

SPORT trim does not come standard with anything that a Rebel comes standard with.

It is kinda like the express option on a 4th Gen tradesman. Just a way to package some things to make it more affordable.

We covered this in the first few posts.

What these guys said, they are right on the money (and some of the most knowledgeable people on these forums). Almost like 2019+classic owners claiming their trucks are 5th gens, just look at the pictures of both trucks, clear as day what the truck actually is in both cases.

OP
OP
K

Keyonthagod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i think we are all missing the point here. The Truck is a Rebel. This comes from the manufacture. If Nike creates a pair of shoes and calls them Air Jordan. Well then the shoes are Air Jordans, even if they don't look like lie Air Jordans.lol But here is a email from one of the dealers out in Canada. It explains why the Truck is listed as a Rebel.

Attachments

• 957DF50D-5630-49AC-9647-76AFB6437D45.jpeg
    957DF50D-5630-49AC-9647-76AFB6437D45.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 653DE684-AF1B-43B1-96A1-1775B573AE75.jpeg
    653DE684-AF1B-43B1-96A1-1775B573AE75.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: