Is it my OCD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive a 2016 Ram 1500. When I bought the truck used, I don’t think it had ever been used to tow as none of the paint inside the receiver was scratched and there was no rust inside the receiver.

I tow a single axle boat trailer with a combined weight around 2800 pounds. I feel “slop” in the hitch. By this I mean I feel a slight bump when coming to a stop and a slight jerk when accelerating from a stop. It’s not much, but I feel it. My trailer does not have brakes. Today I measured my 5/8” hitch pin and it measured .619”. I measured the hole in the hitch the pin goes through, and it measures .647”. I measured the hitch pin hole in my receiver, and it measured .665”. I have tightened the trailer coupler so that it fits snug on the ball. So the “slop” I feel is in the connection between the receiver, hitch pin, and hitch with the total difference being about 3/64". Should I be concerned about this or is it just my engineering OCD working overtime? I see no way of fixing this, if it is a problem, without running a weld bead around the oversized parts and then drilling or filing it to size. I wouldn't look forward to doing this as it would be a pain in the butt.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
All of them re like that. Manufacturing tolerances from OEM to aftermarket there's differences.

Octane

Reaction score
It's okay,normal slack. The ocd tho? I dont know I dont know I dont know. Sorry,couldnt resist

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many "hitch tightener" gizmos that eliminate the movement of the hitch in the receiver to get rid of the noise. Won't fix the slight difference in diameter though :).

OP
OP
CarrollB

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks chri5k I'll look into getting one.

OP
OP
CarrollB

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
crash68 I didn't know they made something like that. Will check into getting one.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Without the benefit of being able to hear the noise/ see the components, I think it's your engineering OCD. I get it,,I'm the same way. As said, They are all like that to some degree, mine included. I just ignore it understanding it's part of towing with a bumper pull hitch. Just my .02.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have deadened myself to the noises of pulling with a bumper-pull trailer. They make noise, unless you add a slop take-up device it's going to be there. In all honesty, the slop/noise makes you a better driver if you leave it alone, because you'll want to take off easier and stop easier to try to reduce it, meaning you're not hot-******* it with a trailer attached (you shouldn't anyway).

OP
OP
CarrollB

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ordered a Convert-A-Ball Ball Mount from etrailer. This hitch allows for some movement and it cushioned by urethane bumpers inside the hitch. It's supposed to minimize the "bump" I feel when braking and pulling away from a stop. After installing this, I'll write any further noticeable noise of "slop" to my engineering OCD and just ignore it. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Maybe the trailer has surge brakes and that is what you are feeling.