Is it OK to leave the Tri Fold tonneau cover on in car wash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This cheapo soft trifold has been thru a touchless..30 times at least..no issues...you could not pay me to run her thru a cash wash with brushes...never not once...lol

Attachments

• 20220516_103632.jpg
    20220516_103632.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 10

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had a Rough Country soft trifold on since 2018 and go through both brushless and brush washes pretty often. No issues.

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
I'm a little leery of running the truck through the car wash in general because of the height (2500 4WD), but sometimes I just don't have time to do it myself. I am really thinking the wash is going to be hard on the factory tri fold tonneau cover. Has anyone tried leaving it on for the trip through The tunnel? To be clear, I'm not talking about the super janky carwashes attached to a gas station, but the better stand alone ones like Riptide, if that helps.
Thanks!
I have taken mine through several times, long bed, quad fold cover, no issues

OP
OP
W

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was going to start a new thread, but this seems active, so Mayne I won't have to. About 2/3 of the way through the car wash, I see "Autopark" on my display and suddenly it feels like I am being hit from behind. The push roller is trying very hard to move my truck, but obviously it's not moving. I tried to quickly push the Neutral selector on the dash, but it's designed for a pen or something. So then I flipped the gear selector to park then drive (Good thing it said that on the display too, or I would have tried straight to drive). Why did this happen? The good thing is it made me realize I need something pointy right at hand for a quick change to neutral. I may have to tape something to the dash until I figure something better out.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have run my truck and soft tonneau cover through numerous car washes... how else would it get cleaned unless I do it be hand?

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Touchless car wash yes definitely. Brush carwash depending on the pressure it puts down. I have 1 factory cover and 1 electric rollnlock. Both have not had an issue.

Akorne1535

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo Diesel
I have RAM 2500 with a hard cover. Ramed it through a rip tide type a couple of times and no issues, allowed me to test how well it sealed too.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
About 2/3 of the way through the car wash, I see "Autopark" on my display and suddenly it feels like I am being hit from behind. The push roller is trying very hard to move my truck, but obviously it's not moving. ...Why did this happen?
Door not being fully closed with the seat belt on is the first thing that comes to mind. It's natural to take it off to enter the code, but the truck gets worried your truck is rolling in neutral and you're not buckled in.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a cheap soft roll up cover and I go through the touchless carwash all the time and I've never had a problem leaving it on

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Can I suggest some sort of water repellent or liquid wax to extend the cover’s life? There are several marine products that work very well & also protect from ozone damage.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never had an issue with a trifold in a car wash , but they are always touchless , don't t like the brush type . Many years ago a friend of mine worked at one with brushes and the stuff they found in the brushes would scare the crap out of you . License plates , radio antennas bodyside molding and other parts . Great for the paint .

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm a little leery of running the truck through the car wash in general because of the height (2500 4WD), but sometimes I just don't have time to do it myself. I am really thinking the wash is going to be hard on the factory tri fold tonneau cover.
I've ran my 3500 4x4 as well as my 1500 through car washes over the years and the only thing that happens to the bed cover is it gets cleaned.

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I leave my Lowmax cover on in the brushless car wash. I do get a few drops of water in, just in the corners.