Is it possible to change the chime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawson Wehage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I wanted to know if its possible to change the door chime/start chime in my Ram 1500 2008.
I wanted to attempt to change it to the one from the 5th generation rams. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have the equipment and know how to hack CAN bus....?

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I will tell you that this may throw a CEL on you, as lonestar said the CAN-bus is picky, even with simple stuff like the chimer. A couple of others have removed the chimer and they had a CEL come on. But with that said you’ll be taking the cluster so far apart that you can just cover up the CEL with 3 layers of electrical tape on the back side and be done with it lol

So take the cluster all the way apart, there are some other how-tos on how to do it. It gets pretty technical and you have to be very careful if you want it to work right when you put it back together lol

If what these other guys did is right, the chimer is a 3/4” inch wide by 1/2” inch tall cylinder in the top left of the cluster on the “front” of the circuit board (its on the same side of the circuit board that the needles poke out, towards the battery gauge)

Providing you already have a little chimer module from the 5th gen rams, I would imagine you’d just take the old one out and solder the new one in and hope it works right. The main issue is voltage, amperage, pulse width, 1-chime module vs. 2-chime module, etc. could be different and mess with the chime’s sound, if itll work at all

It takes a lot of work, but the end result would be something pretty neat. When I replace my cluster face i may give something like this a try as well. The 3rd gen chime isn’t exactly soothing on the ears lol

EDIT- 4th gen and 5th gen chimes sound about the same from listening to a few youtube videos. It’d probably be easier to find a chimer from a 4th gen than from the new 5th gens and youd get the same effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye