Is it wise to wait for used 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it wise to wait for used 2019?

I would have to say no. Even used, it'll still look like a Tundra.

You know, it's a funny thing. When I first seen the 2019s, I thought the same as well as I could not tell a difference from a Ram or a GMC coming at me on the road. Then it grows on you and you hear people talk about the interior and the ride. Curiosity gets the best of you and you stop by a dealership and see the interior is beautiful, then you go for a ride and you're hooked. Another funny thing, now that one sits in my driveway, it doesn't look all that much different from my last Ram.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure it grows on you. So does fungus. :anitoof:

Seriously though, I went to the dealer after the 19s arrived. The blacked out model with the LED headlights looks ok, and the interior may be fantastic but in the end, nothing makes me smile like walking out to my Big Yellow 4th Gen.

I've owned a couple vehicles that I liked being "in" and "driving", but didn't love the looks of them. My 4th Gen has it all for me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sure it grows on you. So does fungus. :anitoof:

Seriously though, I went to the dealer after the 19s arrived. The blacked out model with the LED headlights looks ok, and the interior may be fantastic but in the end, nothing makes me smile like walking out to my Big Yellow 4th Gen.

I've owned a couple vehicles that I liked being "in" and "driving", but didn't love the looks of them. My 4th Gen has it all for me.

That yellow does look good.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hows the depreciation of the Ram 1500 2019?

Agree, no way to know yet. Is it wise ? Imho, no.
First year new models seem to have some issues and the new 5th gen seems to be following this pattern based on the 5th gen section. You would be better off looking for a recent 4th gen. Just my 2 cents.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the incentives they have now, you can probably get a new 19’ less or equal to a used one.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Buying a used Ram with 20,000 or fewer miles of use will save you $15K to $20K and you can see the service records which provide some indication of the problems the vehicle may have had or still has. I would however buy only from a private party as the dealer will not disclose any problems with a used vehicle on their lot.

Price a 2018 Ram on kbb.com and you can get an idea of the resale value of used trucks with few miles and various trim levels and package additions. KBB uses actual sales of vehicles in an area and so it is reasonably accurate as to what you can expect.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just bought a new Megacab 3500, and got $15k off msrp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Ill be trading in my 2019 in December - January at my 6 month mark. I have way to many issues and lost all confidence in my truck.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
MSRP is meaningless. It is how much you have to write the check for when you buy the vehicle and what you get for your money. I bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup in November of 2011 and paid less than $44,000. I have had offers to buy it for over $39,000 in the past several months.

I would avoid whenever possible buying the first model year as with the 2019 Ram trucks where so much has been changed. I like to wait and read about other people's problem and see the service bulletins that come out and the various recalls (which tend to be higher the first model year of a series) before spending $50,000 on a new truck. Lots of examples of problem trucks with ill designed turbo engines or transmissions or cooling systems and these have cost their owners dearly.

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
MSRP is meaningless. It is how much you have to write the check for when you buy the vehicle and what you get for your money. I bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup in November of 2011 and paid less than $44,000. I have had offers to buy it for over $39,000 in the past several months.

I would avoid whenever possible buying the first model year as with the 2019 Ram trucks where so much has been changed. I like to wait and read about other people's problem and see the service bulletins that come out and the various recalls (which tend to be higher the first model year of a series) before spending $50,000 on a new truck. Lots of examples of problem trucks with ill designed turbo engines or transmissions or cooling systems and these have cost their owners dearly.

That's total BS...particularly on the '19 Ram. You do understand that the engine and transmission are virtually unchanged? The main engine mod is less cylinders for more gears, and the tranny added two gears. The changes for '19 were predominantly interior and exterior.

Also, has been stated: every 3 months Ram modifies any necessary changes. Thus far there are 2 (which some will say is 2 too many):
1: underfilled differential; and,
2: cruise control. Just requires a reflash.