Is my paint done for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalGrand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Last weekend I was putting on new windshield wipers and noticed my hood and roof have these white spots. Its weird because it wasn't there two weeks ago!

I am assuming its clear coat? I tried to wipe it off and its not coming off. Its also not flaking which I find weird. Is there anything I can do to stop this or remove it?

Please give me good news lol

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '01 did that, I believe it is the clear coat, and I don't think you can do much about it, maybe a wet sand???? but mine just got progressively worse. Just because of the age that it was, I took it to MAACO (smh) to have a fresh coat of paint over it, paid about 2k for the paint job.

OP
OP
M

MetalGrand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ah this sucks. I was planning on selling my truck at the end of the year and upgrade to a new 2500. This puts a damper on things...

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it looks like clear coat failure. The only option to fix it is a respray unfortunately. Definitely do not wetsand it.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you not wash your vehicle often? I only ask because it would only take a split second for me to notice that. I dont think that happened over a two week period.

OP
OP
M

MetalGrand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually washed it two weeks prior when I didn't notice that. Granted it was a little dark out, but can guarantee I would notice something as obvious as that. If it was there, it couldn't have been that noticeable.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given that your truck is a 2008 and looks to be flat black, I'd bet it's single stage paint which is prone to oxidizing rapidly if there's no protection on it at all times. If this is the case, polishing could remove the oxidation and hopefully restore the finish. It couldn't hurt to try since you'd need a repaint if it's just clear coat failure.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you use drive thru spray car washes? I've seen several vehicles of different brands like that. Just makes we wander if the high pressure detergent spray is what's doing it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you use drive thru spray car washes? I've seen several vehicles of different brands like that. Just makes we wander if the high pressure detergent spray is what's doing it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

No, if that were the case there would be massive, massive paint failures everywhere. It's either oxidation on single stage page or an old, poor paint job that's finally running it's course and failing.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your wanting a inexpensive fix if your trying to sell/trade without painting you could always have the roof and hood vinyl wrapped but if it’s a person your gonna sell it today I would disclose the clear failure... dealership well I wouldn’t bother they’ll find a way to screw you on pricing anyways lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That my friend is extreme deterioration of the clear layer. There is nothing you can do to fix this problem except to repaint the truck. But like mentioned above, maybe do nothing to it to sell it. Here in Arizona, it seems any Foreign car after 5 years old is like this. Toast.

Also good to wax/seal twice a year.

You could spray the roof and hood with plastdip to help stop the spreading.. but it will show through the dip as texture.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I think that's the same markings the DeLorean in back to the future had after time travel....Do you have a flux capacitor you're not telling us about?