Is my truck totaled or fixable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RejectsHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Updated info based on comments:
Hello,
I was in front end collision last week and looking to get perspective on what will happen to much truck.
Before the accident, the truck was perfect, rust free, and only had 31k miles on it.
2017 1500 Sport 4x4. Airbags did not go off. Frame is damaged on the passenger side. I tboned a Chevy Cruze at about 45mph.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 70740577966__257C5B80-947A-4986-930E-9F3AEE6E0632.jpeg
    70740577966__257C5B80-947A-4986-930E-9F3AEE6E0632.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
It's all in the math. If the used value is still high, the repair cost may not exceed the threshold of a total loss. If airbags deployed, that will be a tighter calculation. Your biggest issue is if it's not a total loss, you may have some excessive wait time getting repair parts.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Firstly, you're okay, and that's most important.
Your truck did exactly what it was designed to to, protect you.
Vehicles can be replaced whereas you cannot be.

If the airbags deployed it's more likely a write off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No way for us to know based on those photos only. You didn't even give any details about the truck such as year and trim level. Did the air bags deploy? Is there any frame or suspension damage? What was the speed at impact? Like Scottly said, if that truck isn't totalled you're likely in for a long wait for replacement parts. I have a co-worker who has been waiting to get his vehicle back from the body shop for almost 10 months after his wife was in an accident in it last summer. You might be better off if they do total it.

OP
OP
R

RejectsHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No way for us to know based on those photos only. You didn't even give any details about the truck such as year and trim level. Did the air bags deploy? Is there any frame or suspension damage? What was the speed at impact? Like Scottly said, if that truck isn't totalled you're likely in for a long wait for replacement parts. I have a co-worker who has been waiting to get his vehicle back from the body shop for almost 10 months after his wife was in an accident in it last summer. You might be better off if they do total it.
Thanks for the info. I updated the post!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang...and no airbags went off.... is that a good thing, or not...mmmmm

The first step IMO is to ensure your truck gets properly assessed at an excellent shop that has a top notch reputation for quality repairs.

Frame damage is always a touchy thing to finesse back into OEM specs, and then for it to feel and operate the way it originally did, too.

OP
OP
R

RejectsHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang...and no airbags went off.... is that a good thing, or not...mmmmm

The first step IMO is to ensure your truck gets properly assessed at an excellent shop that has a top notch reputation for quality repairs.

Frame damage is always a touchy thing to finesse back into OEM specs, and then for it to feel and operate the way it originally did, too.
Already have a reputable repair shop im taking it too. The airbags not deploying concerns me as well. Im honestly hoping its considered totaled. Appreciate the input.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Already have a reputable repair shop im taking it too. The airbags not deploying concerns me as well. Im honestly hoping its considered totaled. Appreciate the input.
Airbag deployment depends on a lot of factors including vehicle speed,angle of impact,etc
If certain conditions are not met,they won't deploy

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I would say it'll teeter right on the edge of totalled or not with the frame damage. It depends on just how much the frame was tweaked. A buddy of mine works in a collision shop and I'm amazed at some of the cars that get fixed rather than written off. Because it's a '17, it might be old enough to be written off but on the flip side, trucks hold alot of value. Hard to say.

My '04 Tahoe was written off after a ~50mph T-bone collision in 2015 but that truck was obviously much older and had 200k miles
Tahoe.jpg

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Glad you are fine, that's the most important. The air bags not going off will keep the cost much lower, so it will come down to how much frame damage was done, and the value they place on your truck. Last month when I picked mine 2012, Outdoorsman with 75K miles, up from the dealership after getting some work done on it the sales manager offered $20K trade in without even looking at it (I said no as I don't need another payment right now), the truck values are still up in some places. And, insurance will have to pay you retail for it.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Glad you ok.

As mention early, it’s all in the math.

Good luck :waytogo:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say it'll teeter right on the edge of totalled or not with the frame damage. It depends on just how much the frame was tweaked. A buddy of mine works in a collision shop and I'm amazed at some of the cars that get fixed rather than written off. Because it's a '17, it might be old enough to be written off but on the flip side, trucks hold alot of value. Hard to say.

My '04 Tahoe was written off after a ~50mph T-bone collision in 2015 but that truck was obviously much older and had 200k miles
View attachment 522579
That Chrysler took the hit like a champ ;)

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's totaled, you'll get a decent amount of cash out of it. If it's not, it'll never be the same.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updated info based on comments:
Hello,
I was in front end collision last week and looking to get perspective on what will happen to much truck.
Before the accident, the truck was perfect, rust free, and only had 31k miles on it.
2017 1500 Sport 4x4. Airbags did not go off. Frame is damaged on the passenger side. I tboned a Chevy Cruze at about 45mph.

Were you or the other driver at fault?

Do you have collision insurance? If so, what did the insurance adjuster say?

IGotABigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
Trucks are up there in value right now and you will be surprised what they fix. If you are close with the body shop he can say a few key things that will total it. If my new vehicle ever gets into an accident I make sure it’s totaled. Insurance companies make the shop use **** parts or junk yard parts. This should not be happening on a 40k to 80k truck, let alone any vehicle.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Airbag deployment depends on a lot of factors including vehicle speed,angle of impact,etc
If certain conditions are not met,they won't deploy
Right. So that the bags don't end up injuring you when you might have walked away with no injury. Glad you're okay and I hope they total it for your sake. As mentioned, frame damage can keep coming back and haunting. But at least you have a reputable shop who I'm sure has a frame straightener so if they do fix it, it should be right.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On frame damage, one of my prior Rams was literally bent in half. Long story, but very reputable frame shop did repair and then a arbitration frame shop did second measurements on frame machine. Frame was 100% to exact spec, tracked true and stayed perfect. Depending on type and extent of damage, frames may be repairable because they are formed in a manner that correct heat applied plus mechanical effects cause the frame to want to return to their manufactured state.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
On frame damage, one of my prior Rams was literally bent in half. Long story, but very reputable frame shop did repair and then a arbitration frame shop did second measurements on frame machine. Frame was 100% to exact spec, tracked true and stayed perfect.
I don't subscribe to the knee jerk thoughts some have that "it will never be the same". You got a good repair.
100% to exact