Is new truck advisable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken in Idaho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Mega Cab 3500
Engine
Diesel 5.9L
What am I missing. 2006 1 ton Diesel Mega-Cab. Pretty well loaded for an 06, but the new ones seem to have a WHOLE lot of neat gigits that mine does not have. I have replaced the whole front end (due to known weakness), replaced the AC twice, added a Super Chip and air filter setup. A good Catback system for a mellow sound, and semi-blacked out accessories round out my unit. The problem (besides known wind noise) is the 248,000 miles on the power plant. It seems to still be huffing and puffing great, but I suspect that little things like the super, the alternator, etc. will soon reach their end-of-life. Is there an advantage to going newer and if so, new or used (I am not up on the Gen4 vs 5 or 6 or 7,etc.). Mine has a few holes in the roof (antenna mounts) so I do not think that I will get much of a trade in value. Gas or Diesel and 1500, 2500, or 3500 (I tow a SAR Communications trailer occasionally and carry a good amount of supplies during missions). Just asking general questions trying to talk myself into a newer truck.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is yours the 5.9? If so, definitely keep it, and keep it running. New ones are ridiculously overpriced, cost more to fix due to electronics. I would suspect yours would outlast a new one. I used to work at an oil change place, and back in 2009 I worked on a 2006 2500 quad cab with a manual transmission. The guy was a lead vehicle for oversized long haul trucking. He had 696k miles on it then, and it drove like new still. He said the only MAJOR repair he had up until that point was new injectors. He was the original owner, and to put it into perspective, he was putting a set of new tires on every 10 months or so.

If you treat it right it'll live longer than you.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Id keep the 5.9 hands down and just keep it going. As stated above the new ones are expensive and cost a lot more to fix and or keep going.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Due to things that Covid brought on
Ram did not think that they would sell new trucks, because everyone had to remain Home
So the engineers from every car manufacturer did NOT order microchips
Microchips are needed for all the new electronic gadgets.

Until you see all the dealerships sales lots packed full of new cars & trucks, like it was 3 years ago.
I would not consider buying a new vehicle.

When those lots are full, prices will return to normal

My local dealership is beginning to get in more Tradesman & Express Rams which are Gen 4 Rams, i personally like the Bighorn

I have yet to see a Limited or Laramie on the sales lot, they are 5th Gen Rams

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My 05 has more than a quarter million miles and still going strong. I pull a 14K trailer on occasion with no issues. Regular maintenance is all she gets (in addition to lots of kind words).

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Almost a qtr million on the 01 my son just bought from me. Probably shouldn’t have sold it but what do ya do. At least it’s in the family.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What am I missing. 2006 1 ton Diesel Mega-Cab. Pretty well loaded for an 06, but the new ones seem to have a WHOLE lot of neat gigits that mine does not have. I have replaced the whole front end (due to known weakness), replaced the AC twice, added a Super Chip and air filter setup. A good Catback system for a mellow sound, and semi-blacked out accessories round out my unit. The problem (besides known wind noise) is the 248,000 miles on the power plant. It seems to still be huffing and puffing great, but I suspect that little things like the super, the alternator, etc. will soon reach their end-of-life. Is there an advantage to going newer and if so, new or used (I am not up on the Gen4 vs 5 or 6 or 7,etc.). Mine has a few holes in the roof (antenna mounts) so I do not think that I will get much of a trade in value. Gas or Diesel and 1500, 2500, or 3500 (I tow a SAR Communications trailer occasionally and carry a good amount of supplies during missions). Just asking general questions trying to talk myself into a newer truck.
I had a HO and so did my brother, which is your year you have a Cummins HO. So the weakness is the fuel pump which is no small thing, cost a lot to replace. I can't remember how much he paid when his fuel pump went out, but it was a lot.

However, specifically your year may be the best Cummins ever made, the argument is for the 12v Cummins that did not use computers, but those have way less HP. I would never sell that if it were me, not for anything. My brother had to because he towed heavy and went through 3 transmissions, he only sold it to by another with a manual transmission. New diesels are a joke, you have to mess with p e e, as in they use a p e e tank next to your diesel tank and inject p e e into the exhaust, and comes with a host of issues, I would never own a DEF engine unless I had to. Your truck being at the end of the HO period may be the best Cummins ever made, they surely don't make them like that anymore, and the HP was so far advanced for it's time they are made to last 1/2 a century. Plus, when gas fails you can make it so you can run on vegetable oil, or even used motor oil, lol. My vote, you keep it.

Maybe the best gas truck made would be 4 gen hemi, I like 2012 personally, last year rfe, and great upgrades such as coil back suspension, you will love driving a 4 gen compared to the one you are driving now. Much better ride quality and better then all of the competition, ram has won truck of the year like 6 times in the last decade, so 4 gens gas would be a decent choice, but I like what you have now man.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a HO and so did my brother, which is your year you have a Cummins HO. So the weakness is the fuel pump which is no small thing, cost a lot to replace. I can't remember how much he paid when his fuel pump went out, but it was a lot.
100% incorrect. The pump is not a weakness, they are rock solid and rarely fail. Lift pump or injection pump, doesn’t matter. Same thing. Rock solid. Bit my injection pump and lift pump handle 200% injectors just fine and have for 7 years.

There is no HO or SO per se for 2006, one engine, that’s it. 325hp, 610trq

OP
OP
Ken in Idaho

Ken in Idaho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Mega Cab 3500
Engine
Diesel 5.9L
With all of the relies and suggestions, I think that I will keep my one ton. I forgot to mention that I had the tranny blow out at 153,000 and my local Transmission store rebuilt it with super heavy custom built internal parts. It really does its job now. Since I use this exclusively for Search and Rescue, it also has a large number of emergency lights embedded on it for stationary highway emergency use, thus probably lowering its trade-in value as well. Thank you all for your input. The old dodge will continue saving lives. I also have a Transfer Flow system for fuel, so I have 56 gallons under the bed and 30 more in the bed for a total of 86 gallons. It sure helps on long distance runs.

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear it! Maybe post some pictures if you can, it sounds like a beast!

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I think you are making two good moves on this subject. #1. I have heard NOTHING but good about the older diesels. #2. It is paid for and to me that is MAJOR. I can fix a lot of things on a paid for truck but if you don't pay cash, you are making payments AND paying to fix it on your own.

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Ken, I am in the same dilemma. My truck in my sig just turned over 170K, still on original injectors and clutch. I'm the original owner. Absolutely no rust except for a bit of bubbling just starting over one bed wheelwell. It sits inside all winter so hardly has seen salt. I get compliments on it all the time. I pull an 18ft box trailer periodically all over the tri-state area in the warmer months and also a 20ft deckover on occasion. I have looked at new ones and like the amenities, but I just can't justify the expenditure and keep trying to talk myself out of a new one.

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had an 01 1 ton, HO, 6 sp manual with 400k on the clock.
Used it hotshot for Rv .
Had 2 lift pumps fail, that starved the high pressure injection pump.
$3500 a pop!
Still had original clutch. Traded it when vacuum pump sprung a major leak, too expensive to replace, and had quit hotshot by then. Traded for a new 06 Laramie, auto. Wish I still had it.
That was about the last year before all the add on pollution power killer stuff started rolling out.
Nope, don’t make em’ like that anymore!